Search Unity

Simulate a weaker GPU on my machine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mz00956, Dec 27, 2020.

1. mz00956

mz00956

I have an RTX 2080 S in my machine but I would like the Test the performance of my programs on weaker systems like a GTX1060. Is there a way that I can simulate a weaker GPU?
    And if possible also a weaker CPU.

I am open to everything. Virtual Machines, Software that limits the clock speed of whatever.

Ps: I didn't know which forum was the right one for that question so I just chose this one.

2. Arowx

Arowx

In theory you could run your game twice or another game/benchmark that will take up some of your CPU/GPU bandwidth.

3. mz00956

mz00956

Something like a

Code (CSharp):
    1. while(true)
    2. {
    3. Debug.Log("hi");
    4. }
    Program. xD

You are not wrong, that could work. But it wouldn't really give me an understanding of how it would work on a specific weaker system.
    Still thanks for your quick answer.
    Maybe I will try that If I can't find anything else

4. MDADigital

MDADigital

Down clock it until it benches as a 1060, it doesn't mean it will perform like a 1060 in your title but maybe close enough

5. mz00956

mz00956

You mean I should just limit the CPU and GPU clock speed until I get the results equivalent to a 1060 in a benchmark test. That could work. But I only know of a program that can limit the CPU clock speed. Do you know a program that can do the same for the GPU?

6. MDADigital

MDADigital

7. MDADigital

MDADigital

Msi afterburner can do it, but probably not down to a 1060 in performance

8. mz00956

mz00956

I already have Superposition installed as a small playground in VR xD
    Ok, thank you for your fast answers. I will give it a try

9. MDADigital

MDADigital

My 3090 gets 12.5k points in 1080p extreme, pretty big difference :)

10. TheGaul

TheGaul

If you have an iCore processor. You could simply unplug your graphics card and use the integrated graphics on the CPU to see how it works on lower specs.

I take the simple option of trying to make everything work on integrated graphics and then can be fairly certain it will run even better on dedicated graphics cards.

I leave the AAA graphics to AAA companies.

I think Amazon does have cloud computing with graphics card that you can run on the cloud.

SparrowGS likes this.
  11. mz00956

mz00956

ok, thanks for the ideas. Unplugging is a bit difficult because I have a Notebook xD. Should have mentioned that.:)

12. Armynator

Armynator

Make assumptions and guess. Check your CPU and GPU usage while running the application and compare your hardware specs with older hardware. Use external benchmark websites, hardware reviews or even YouTube videos as reference. Especially for CPUs there are many benchmarks with plain numeric single- and multithread results to help you with that.

There hardly is any reason to create complicated virtual setups just to see if it runs fast enough, other than wasting time because you are bored of course. You can't fully simulate all possible devices of the end users, so just make good guesses and optimize your game properly.

If you really want to test your CPU, prepare a scene to run without renderer (-batchmode -nographics) and write the results to a logfile or something. You can also test a different GPU installed in your system using -force-device-index. See CommandLineArguments for detailed infos.

13. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Just to be clear about lower clock speed, even if it tests for the same speed on test X it can still be doing stuff radically differently, there's somewhat of an architectural change from generation to generation, not just "bigger and stronger".

that's my understanding atleast, could be mistaken, i don't work for intel or anything, hehe.

angrypenguin likes this.
  14. MDADigital

MDADigital

If you manage to match desired GPU in a bench like superposituon it should be close enough. Doesn't mean it will perform like a actual target GPU in your game though

15. Arowx

Arowx

It looks like you can buy a second hand GTX 1060 for less than £100 on e-bay.

Or another option could be asking the development community to try out your game* and give you feedback e.g. record benchmarks on a variety of graphics settings. Anyone here have a 1060 or similar GPU?

* You could even build/record a worst case benchmark of your game to test it on different settings.

It's a pity Unity does not provide this kind of testing via the cloud.

Are there any cloud based game benchmarking companies that provide this service as it could be ideal for developers?

16. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

This is the way I would do it. It would actually be even easier if you do the whole pre-marketing thing and have a little fan-base going for your game already as those people are typically willing to do some testing and will likely have a variety of CPU/GPU combinations.

I personally have a GTX1070, but I'm likely going to end up with a 30xx soon enough, so I'm going to end up in the same situation as you.

17. MDADigital

MDADigital

Since umbra is so bad it's often very specific camera angles that might break performance. For this community is great they can record which camera angles that are bad and we can try to fix them.