Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[SimRacing] World Racing Simulation

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by shanakar, Jan 8, 2013.

1. shanakar

shanakar

Greetings fellow Unity members. I thought I'd make this thread to showcase the progress of our Unity 4x project called World Racing Simulation. I notice there's nothing really going on in this genre on Unity so I thought I'd share our massive project

World Racing Simulation is a Simulation Racing title which aims to bridge the gap between real racing and simulation racing with the help of racing teams and drivers who are involved in the project. The game will feature all forms of motorsport from Road/Sports Car Racing to Open Wheelers, Stock Car, Rally, Prototypes, Drifting and more!

The project is aimed to be released on both PC and Consoles and we'll also be looking into the MAC and Linux compatibilities to hopefully be able to bring the first sim-racing title to those platforms.

You can view the official game website which is still under development at http://www.worldracingsimulation.com/

Or our more up to date with screenshots facebook game page on https://www.facebook.com/WorldRacingSimulation

In the coming weeks we'll be announcing more manufacturer and racing series licenses as well as showing more progress on various cars, tracks and other elements going into the game. The physics engine is done from scratch previously in another simulation product of ours and is being integrated into the Unity framework for our project.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. :)

Team Credits

Management

Lead Producer: Petros Mak (Shanakar)
    Co-Producer: Danny Nowlan

Lead Game Engine Programmer

Ravel Tammeleht (Creator of MoDyEn with Unity)

Lead 3D Vehicle Director

Dmitriy Barishev (Globosso)

3D Vehicle Artists

Chad Canning
    Chris Pryke
    Condraciuc Veaceslav
    Johannes Saari
    Koen Calleyl
    Kunal Jain
    Rico Hottewitzsch
    Salim Ljabi

Lead 2D Art Director

Lukasz Kacbrzykowski

2D Artists

Doug Parker
    Jack Hintz
    Nigel Phelan

Lead 3D Track Director

Wojtek Kedzierski (Circuits) (feels3)
    Stefano Norbedo (Rally) (eno72)

Track Artists

Miroslav Kurek

Physics Department

Danny Nowlan (CEO Chassis Sim)
    Ravel Tammeleht
    Derek Nye

Director of Rally

Jack Hintz

GUI

Ravel Tammeleht
    Jarek Keiren

Media

Bernd Boehm
    David Winder
    Lee Ross

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. dtg108

dtg108

Wow, the graphics are pretty amazing, is this Unity Pro or Free?

3. shanakar

shanakar

Hello dtg108

This is Unity Pro using our own custom coded shaders. :)

4. dtg108

dtg108

Cool, graphics are awesome!

5. dtg108

dtg108

Also, I love racing games and we don't have many around here, glad to have more, this could be a very big game with graphics like that.

6. squared55

squared55

Wow, when I first saw those pictures, I thought they were real!

7. shanakar

shanakar

We are hoping on it being popular as it is simulation based. There is a lot of never before seen features and technology going into this game that we feel will shed a new light to the way people perceive the genre, let alone gaming as we can incorporate that technology to any genre. Though our aim is to integrate it into this first and then expand it to more genres.

Graphics side you can do pretty much anything in Unity and even make games on par with the best games out there if you have the right team working for you. The main thing I'm worried about is that I want our game to be moddable on the PC, and right now having Unity3D read external texture files which are loose and not packaged is being an issue.

We were able to code .ini integration which allows us to alter the physics externally without having to re-pack all the content but doing the same for the textures is being a bit of a pain which we have to find a way around. We'll keep working hard though and showing how things progress here, we hope you will all enjoy the progress.

Oh and just a note, those screens show the ingame in DX9. While we have done some trials with DX11 which were really great in Unity 4.x (worth buying Unity 4.x for), we're focusing on getting the DX9 part right first and then moving onto the DX11 graphics.

8. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Very professional looking guys! Love the lighting too! Looks like a game made by Codemasters or something :) Looking forward to the beta test :D

9. lockbox

lockbox

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing some in-game video.

What type of multi-player networking framework and tire model are you using?

And I'm really excited and interested in this...

10. shanakar

shanakar

@Ethaninja: Thanks! Glad you like the current look! :D

@lockbox: For the PC we will be incorporating a simulation based networking system where players can create their own rooms via the dedicated server.exe which can be used on any PC or dedicated server. You will have a lobby where you can look at what rooms are available with info on what they are running, you'll be able to search for rooms via IP and we will most definitely have a LAN option for those who want to play with their friends or family at home by connecting more then one PC.

If you've ever played any sim-racing games like rFactor or RACE07, you might already be familiar with the multiplayer capabilities of those games. This will follow a similar method for the PC.

As for Consoles, we are not sure yet as it is something we haven't yet delved into and will need to analyze. If I had my choice, I'd love to find a way to integrate console players and PC players to be able to play together (with allowing the server/room creator) to choose if they want only PC players, only Console players or both. But if that is even possible I have yet to find out and it is something we'll look into later in the development and let you all know.

In regards to the tire model. Our partners over at Chassis Sim who built the physics engine have done so with the help of racing teams and racing drivers who have been clients of their physics tool for data analyzing and simulation work. The physics engine has been perfected over the last 6-7 years with the help of racing engineers and drivers and the engine itself was built by an ex racing engineer and aeronautical engineer. We will have some very nifty tire physic features which I can't comment on right now but we'll be showing off with time as we reveal various parts of the game.

As for the never before seen features and technology. The major one I cannot yet reveal as it is too early to do so. The other feature has been done before but is tied with the major one which until the major technological feature is unveiled, it may not sound too flash. The feature I'm talking about is the Custom mode which allows you to create a custom career, custom championship or custom race with every single aspect of the game in the options available to be turned on or off. With the custom career you can create your own custom career path picking only the categories you want to have as well as the ability to add mods you have downloaded to that custom career. You can turn any game feature on and off and virtually make turn the game into exactly as you want it. The level of freedom in changing the game to how you want it to be in the various custom modes has never been done before.

As for the rest, give it some time and we'll showcase more for you in the near future. :)

11. boothj1985

boothj1985

Looks great. Two requests although I say these with a grain of salt knowing partially the difficulty with putting together complex systems in a game. If possible, try to have controls respond as instantly as possible to input. It is sad to play a game like Forza Motorsport, seeing the realistic graphics/physics yet when you use the dashboard view and move the joystick, you can almost count a half-second between that moment and when you see the wheel in the game turn...Not realistic especially considering how important it is to have split-second reactions with such a style of sport. The other thing is, and I know few, if anyone will agree with this, is that I think you should exploit the fact that it's a virtual world that you get to create and make some non-reality race tracks, like a moon base track or a water-tunnel track along with the expected real life ones.

12. lockbox

lockbox

That's an interesting idea. So will you be hosting servers and running races as well - like iRacing?

Impressive! That's excellent. :D

13. shanakar

shanakar

@boothj1985: I've heard that a lot in regards to Forza and for the consoles it is something we are very mindful of. Thankfully this isn't an issue for the PC as we can get the input response to be dead accurate with all the various peripherals available on the PC. As for consoles, it is something I will note down to be looked into thoroughly when we get to that. Efficient controls is a very important part to any game especially a racing game so it is an area that shouldn't be neglected. I have wondered as to why it was like that in Forza, maybe a sensitivity setting that they didn't want to go back and fix because it was too late. Only they know I guess. But thanks for posting your thought!

We will be developing a lot of self-design tracks for this game. But please bear in mind that it is a racing simulation, not an arcade game. While we may add more fun stuff like what your talking about later on, I doubt it will make it for the base game. We will however have quite a lot of street tracks and mountain passes for street racing and mountain drift racing similar to Initial D series. We have been questioning over developing large world based maps too for free roam but that is something we're not delving into just yet.

14. TruthIsHere

TruthIsHere

Who is doing the physics @ chassissim? Its confusing since i know for a fact that Ravel is doing the physics for you.

Also, WRS is known more for http://www.worldracingseries.net/ by PiBoSo (great sim), you might want to change the name.

Ciao

15. shanakar

shanakar

You don't know anything Danny which is why you registered here to post and berate us like you do everywhere else. PiBoSo knew our game was being developed and decided to make one with the same acronym, that's his fault, not ours. This thread is about WRS so keep non topic content out of this thread. Your post has been reported.

16. TruthIsHere

TruthIsHere

Im sorry, but who is "Danny?" serious question.

All i know is that i have never heard of your title, on the other hand PiBoSo has had his out there for years.

17. shanakar

shanakar

Our title was announced on Racesimcentral back in 2006 as a mod. In 2007 we announced the mod would become its own full fledged game and we would not show more of it until we were ready to. Unfortunately with Racesimcentral's database going down in 2011 I believe it was, all those old posts were lost. But when PiBoSo released his game's first beta in 2010, our threads were still on RSC and some small checking around the net for any names similar would have shown that. PiBoSo and I have spoken in regards to our games in private and have no issue with each other. If people can read, one says simulation and the other says series. PiBoSo's title did hit a nerve with him naming it so close to ours but I'm not one to get into childish wars with people. I wish him the best of luck with his project. I have my own project to complete and my focus is on that. :)