Search Unity

Simplify (An Easier Way To Design)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by davisj16usmc, Sep 4, 2015.

1. davisj16usmc

davisj16usmc

I'm working on a new asset pack for release in the asset store. Plans are to make it an all in one kit full of helpful scripts, shaders, prefabs, etc. Right now the plans are to start with a HUD system to include multiple types of waypoints, minimap cameras, objective systems (similar to waypoints but focused on a main objective due to the bigger styles of the prefabs), inventory, health bars, and more. Everything is going to be universal, and interchangeable in theory. I'm also planning on throwing in a universal scene manager as well that will take care of a Third Person Camera Follow, Player Stats, Dealing Damage, Playing Sounds, handling animations (whether through the Animation or the Animator classes won't matter), and even will manage the HUD leaving developers and/or designers more time to focus on their specific goals instead of starting from scratch or tweaking code, prefabs, and materials to flow with their game better. I have plans for an all in one kit that will just overall make game creation as simple as possible; especially for those who don't know how to code very well. I have some questions for the community since after all, you as developers, designers, and artists are my potential customers.

1. - The package is planned to sell at $20 - $25; what would capture YOUR attention to buy my package for $25?

2. - What other types of features should I add? What types of features would you like to see implemented?

3. - What kinds of shapes would look interesting to you as a health or loading bar? So far I've created quite a few and plan to keep going (already created: triangle, full circle, half circle, traditional rectangle (horizontal and vertical orientation), cube edges).

4. - What should I call this package? I'm thinking of calling it Simplicity due to the goal of the package. I, however believe this title can be misleading.

Thank you all for your time and for reading my post; I look forward to your replies, and hope to read some great ideas soon! Untitled.jpg

Attached Files:

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

For a package like this I think an input manager would be an awesome addition. Unless that is already available without coding. :)

How bout Simplify as a name?

Cool idea.

3. davisj16usmc

davisj16usmc

I like Simplify; that appeals to me better; I've already coded an input manager that will be integrated into the universal scene manager. My goal for it is farther than where it's at; though it is fully functional I'd like to be able to just click a button that adds all the required values for controllers, keyboards, joysticks, etc. I haven't done much research, but at the moment seem like it all has to be done manually. With a little bit of digging I'm sure I'll find the answers I need to get it where I want it. However it does layout a list of every control available and handles them all properly in a similar way to the Input.GetButton or .GetAxis does. My script you can just say Controls.GetXBOXControl etc.

4. davisj16usmc

davisj16usmc

Okay; so I tweaked the terrain a bit to allow better frame rate on my slow computer for the demo as it comes along. I added a point light to the FPC since a directional light was bringing my framerate to 8fps. I also reduced the light intensity on the waypoint orb prefab so that it doesn't distract too much. I've almost completed the scene manager and am throwing together a debugging window that will keep track of what the scene manager is doing, how many lights are in the scene (will be a active to total ratio so if I have 10 lights but 3 are active it will say Lights: 3/10), how many active game objects there are, enemy counts, frame rate, etc. I'm not sure on everything that will be in the debugging window but I plan to make it useful. I've also completed a few of the minimap prefabs that will be included in the package. I have a few more to do; but I have to write the shaders for them since they're not just mask based.

Untitled2.jpg

5. davisj16usmc

davisj16usmc

Got the first health bar up and running; now time to implement it into different shapes.

Untitled3.jpg

6. davisj16usmc

davisj16usmc

I just finished writing the radial shader for a full circle health bar; here's how it turned out! Untitled4.jpg

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Cool name. ;)

8. davisj16usmc

davisj16usmc

Upgraded to Unity 5 today; hoping to make this available for 4 and 5.

9. davisj16usmc

davisj16usmc

Got the Universal Scene Manager up and running; it's still got a few bugs that need to be worked out and some of the layout needs to be re-done for visual purposes, but it's working none the less. Here are some screens of the inspector view.

The camera follow settings will establish how the camera functions in the scene. The camera can be either first or third person; as a third person camera you have the options for where the camera should be, and how it should behave. The shoulder options will place the camera over the left or right shoulder, the shouldered option will allow the player to swap shoulders based on their preference. I've also included peek and snap functionality. Peeking is smoothed out and only rotates on the Y axis. Snap functionality will follow the player around, but will not stay behind the player; when the player presses the snap button the camera will snap behind the player.

USM1.jpg

The player section of the Universal Scene Manager is pretty straight forward; it maintains vital data for the HUD and even some data for sending and receiving damage. The multipliers range from 1 to 100 and the code behind it will allow you to use money, upgrade your strength and defense, as well as use health packs and apply damage.

USM2.jpg

The HUD portion is also straight forward for the moment only requiring a few variables to operate. The move with player option will (when set to true) set the HUD based around the player in world space instead of a static approach.

USM3.jpg

The animation section for the time being only handles an animator controller; but will handle the Animation and AnimationClip classes soon. As you can see it only requires the AC and CC. The animation section will handle the basic animations for all games; hurt, death, two attacks, a custom animation, a defense animation, as well as equip and unequip.

The sound section is also included in the screenshot; it will also handle the basic sounds for all games. It is used by the animation and player sections respectively to apply the sound effects provided, when needed.

USM4.jpg

Finally the input section; this section is incomplete at the moment, however what you're looking at below is how the USM recognizes each form of input required for animation. It will eventually be coded to receive input without input editor having the values provided. It will use enumerables to tell which input to check for. Text will only be used for computer input unless someone here tells me they'd prefer the enumerables for computer as well.

USM5.jpg

As always I'm looking forward to questions and comments about my work!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. davisj16usmc

davisj16usmc

Still looking for some more ideas; I've decided to give the option of mounting a health bar to the player via USM or keep it static.

11. IndieAner3d

IndieAner3d

Hiii@davis ^^

I´m looking forward to your Project! ^__^
    I like the Inspectors... Simpel& Clear to understood.
    It would be nice to see your currently Work
    on a WebPlayerDemo...
    Which show us your feature in Action *_*

12. davisj16usmc

davisj16usmc

That's actually something I've been having trouble with is setting up a web demo. I appreciate your comment, I'm actually implementing more than I intended into this project which is making it a little more of a handful! :)

I've also decided to add 3D trajectory system to it as well for things like grenade throws, also throwing in a script for managing weapons data (keeping it simplistic but will also allow for firing projectiles).

Hoping to have this thing up on the market soon!

13. IndieAner3d

IndieAner3d

Ohh okay,
    That some bad :---/
    and good news ^__^

Hold us on the current State of things...! ^^

14. davisj16usmc

davisj16usmc

Well, just created a new demo scene since the old one was kind of cluttered, but things are coming together nicely, and hopefully today I can have a web demo going too :)

IndieAner3d likes this.
  15. IndieAner3d

IndieAner3d

Nice ^^
    I'm glad to hear, *-*
    Thumb up :--)