Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Simplest way to make a textbox?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Iron-Warrior, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Iron-Warrior

Iron-Warrior

Hullo GUIers,

Bear in mind that I'm horribly inexperienced when it comes to Unity's GUI functions. Right now, I have a little ability selection bar where you pick various abilities and I want a short explanation of each ability to appear when you click on it. Basically, I want to be able to make a box that is filled with text and auto-formats itself (including line jumps), and I want to be able to place it at certain coords on the screen.

Was looking at things like GUILayout and it's various functions, but I can't seem to find a simple explanation on what I should do here. I know there should be a way I can define a rectangle (say 300 by 300, for example) then insert a string into it. When the string is longer than 300, it skips a line and continues. Also, is there any way in a string to force a line skip? I vaguely remember that it was something like \n in python, but it doesn't seem to work here...

Thanks for any help!

2. Quietus2

Quietus2

3. Iron-Warrior

Iron-Warrior

Aight, guess I'll peruse the various GUI tutorials, and read the PDF from the Unite conference. I s'pose I'd have to learn the GUI tools sooner or later, but looking at some of the functions, I can't help but imagine a wonderful drag and drop GUI tool...thanks for the help!

4. averysmarttardigrade

averysmarttardigrade

I know this post is very old, but if you're still struggling, I have a couple suggestions.

5. SisusCo

SisusCo