Search Unity

Simple Waypoint System (SWS) - Move objects along paths

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Baroni, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Baroni

Baroni

Hi @andreiagmu,

SWS makes use of the global setting (be it update type or timescale) specified in DOTween's settings indeed, so that any tween can be configured to run before or after your game's update logic.

This is the first time an individual setting per movement script has come up, could you please explain a use case where the global setting does not cover this? Note: navMove is not controlled by tweens/DOTween and has the default Unity update loop for NavMesh agents.

andreiagmu likes this.
  2. andreiagmu

andreiagmu

Oh, I hadn't used navMove yet, I didn't know it doesn't use tweens, hehe.
    So in my suggestion, splineMove is the only relevant move.

For now, I can use the DOTween global settings alright. I just thought of the possibility of I needing/wanting some splineMoves to run on Update, others on FixedUpdate, etc. Or I wanting some splineMoves to be TimeScale Independent, and others not, that kind of thing.

3. Baroni

Baroni

Sure, let me know when that happens :)
    TimeScale independent tweens are usually used in UI animations, however you wouldn't use splineMove for that but a scripted tween directly (depends on the game of course).

andreiagmu likes this.
  4. martinreimer

martinreimer

@Baroni Im running Unity 2019.2.17f1 and getting null ref errors

Steps to recreate: 1. Create waypoint manager 2. Enter path name and hit start path 3. When i hit P I receive the first error.

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. SWS.WaypointEditor.OnSceneGUI () (at Assets/SWS/Scripts/Editor/WaypointEditor.cs:62)
    3. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    4. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    5. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    6. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    7. UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:3292)
    8. UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2539)
    9. UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2400)
    10. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    11. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    12. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    13. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    14. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:359)
    15. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:353)
    16. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:329)
    17. UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect, System.Boolean floatingWindow, System.Boolean isBottomTab) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:374)
    18. UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:341)
    19. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:298)
    20. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:483)
    21. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:466)
    22. UnityEngine.UIElements.KeyboardEventDispatchingStrategy.DispatchEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Events/KeyboardEventDispatchingStrategy.cs:21)
    23. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:280)
    24. UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.Dispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel, UnityEngine.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:156)
    25. UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel.SendEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase e, UnityEngine.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:190)
    26. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:255)
    27. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:78)
    28. UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  5. Baroni

Baroni

@martinreimer
    Looks like a Unity bug. Did you recently upgrade? Have you tried restarting Unity and resetting the editor layout (top right corner)?

Please use the forum on our website for further support.

6. martinreimer

martinreimer

Resetting the layout resolved the issue. Thanks!

7. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Hi ! Would i be able to use the simple waypoint system to control a character with the mouse dynamically while playing ?

Thanks !

8. Baroni

Baroni

Hey @SpyrosUn, what exactly do you mean by "control a character with the mouse"? Do you mean adjusting speed, or jumping while it moves? That would be very easy.

I mean, if you would like to add point and click movement to your game, you wouldn't necessarily need a waypoint system - Unity's NavMesh system would work for that too. Could you define your requirement a bit more? :)

9. Nixaan

Nixaan

Line 83 in splineMoveEditor class causes Unity to lag when a prefab with splineMove component is selected in the project hierarchy. There are similar cases in navMoveEditor and moveEditor classes.

10. charith-madusanka

charith-madusanka

How can i change time to complete loop at runtime???
    @Baroni

11. Baroni

Baroni

12. jackvob1

jackvob1

Hello, im interested with your asset to use in one of my project for my ai waypoint in the road , i want to ask a couple question :
    1. in the image it could change path but only 2 path is it availabe to change path with 3 path ?
    2. for interaction with other object (Like other cars or traffic light) is there already script in the asset or we need to create it ourself ?

i have a lot of question but i cant think of any right now :) i think thats it for now, Thank you

13. Baroni

Baroni

Hi @jackvob1,

1. A path is a path, you can switch from one to another. It is irrelevant how many paths you have in your scene.
    2. Game specific code needs to be created by yourself. There are public methods available for most scenarios, but there is no template for vehicle simulation since this depends on your game.

14. tomi-trescak

tomi-trescak

Hi, I did purchase SWS 6 years ago but no longer have access to Invoice ID so I do not know how to register for your forums. But I can show you a screenshot of my asset store.

Anyway, my issue is that I cannot make the camera following the object on a spline path work. I use the simplest camera to follow the script from Unity API. BUT the object on the path JUDDERS horribly! The environment moves smoothly, but the object jumps back and forth.

If I just parent the camera to the moving object it works, but the camera movements are too sharp. Thus:

How can I make the camera follow the smoothly moving object?

[EDIT] I made small GIF showing my issue: https://ibb.co/6WqhPxL

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  15. Baroni

Baroni

Hi @tomi-trescak,

did you see our camera sample scene? Are you able to reproduce the issue there as well?

A quick trick would be to set the "lookAhead" value on the movement script to something very small. It goes from 0-1, so you could try 0.02. This usually smoothes it out quite a bit.

Regarding your lost invoice, please head over to your asset store account on the orders page. If you get the order ID, you would be able to contact Unity support for the corresponding invoice ID.

16. usama-qureshi

usama-qureshi

'WaypointManager' does not contain a definition for 'Paths' ,, This error comes when SWS package imported,
    walker.GetComponent<splineMove>().SetPath(WaypointManager.Paths[path.name]);
    example2.moveRef.SetPath(WaypointManager.Paths[example2.pathName1]);

these are the lines where this error show. Unity version 2019.2.16.

17. Baroni

Baroni

@usama-qureshi We do not use this forum for support. Please register on our dedicated support forum, on our website.

Quick tip: it is likely that you have another class named "WaypointManager" in your project, not in a namespace, which is interfering.

18. UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

Why does using navMove momentarily stops agents on each waypoint? Why doesn't it smoothly just continues to the next waypoint without delays?

19. Baroni

Baroni

20. UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

Nope, I'm not (but really thinking of getting a copy myself, looks neat). I'm helping my bud with some stuff for his game. He probably has the invoice.

[code removed as per author request]

Anyway, I did this to make it smooth.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  21. Baroni

Baroni

As per Unity Asset Store EULA, editor extensions are licensed per seat. If you are "helping your bud", you still need a license for yourself. Please remove the code snippet you've posted. This is a public forum, it is not allowed to share snippets of our code here. We've specifically set up our own support forum for things like this - and we would really like it there!

aweha likes this.
  22. i_cassell

i_cassell

When will the new version be released?

23. Baroni

Baroni

@i_cassell did I miss something? What exactly are you expecting in an update?

24. i_cassell

i_cassell

Every thing is OK.I just want to know the RoadMap

25. Baroni

Baroni

Updates are submitted sporadically, depending on changed functionality in Unity versions and resulting bugs or adjustments needed. The feature request list is very short, so there is no major update planned at the moment.

26. ishangill

ishangill

Hello.
    I am using SWS.
    I have a train model with 3 coaches . How can i move a train with SWS.

27. Baroni

Baroni

Hi @ishangill!

The easy way would be to attach a movement script to each train wagon, with an offset, and have the update times of DOTween set to FixedUpdate. This would be done to prevent the wagons getting separated over time (the distance between them) as one movement script could execute faster than others.

The complex way would be to only attach a movement script to the first wagon and connect others with Joints components. That requires a lot of trial and error to get right, as they are driven by physics and often do not behave as desired.

Thank very much for your review, btw! If you have more questions, please head over to my support forum instead, since it is directed at verified customers (I can track requests and we can better share code there).

28. ishangill

ishangill

Ok Thanks i will try.

29. Baroni

Baroni

v5.5.0
    • changed events on waypoints: UnityEvents for all waypoints in the inspector are gone, as feedback told they were difficult to maintain. Instead, three UnityEvents were added: start, change (waypoint), end. You can also listen to these events via code on the corresponding Action. Be aware that when updating, your existing events need to be re-added. See the scripting documentation for more details and event descriptions.
    • changed NavMeshAgent stoppingDistance default to 0.5 if kept at zero
    • fixed splineMove not starting to play with DOTween AutoPlay set to none
    • fixed documentation links

30. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

Does it work with 2D? It should work I suppose

31. Baroni

Baroni

@Gamingbir Yes, it does. It auto detects the 2D mode when placing waypoints.

Gamingbir likes this.
  32. LukeSilverbackgames

LukeSilverbackgames

@Baroni Is there a built-in way for me to tell a character to walk a path within a given amount of time? For example, walk this spline path and be finished it in 10 seconds.

33. Baroni

Baroni

@LukeSilverbackgames Yes, have a look at the "timeValue" variable in the inspector. It can either be set to a time or speed value.

34. LukeSilverbackgames

LukeSilverbackgames

Gotcha. Is there a way to change the speed based on where the character is in the path? If I give the character a short amount of time to move along the path, he'll run along it. However, at the end of the path, he'll stop pretty quickly and it looks a bit unnatural. Is there a way for me to say "start to slow down at the end"?

35. Baroni

Baroni

You could use a custom animation curve for the full path, or change the object's speed near the last waypoint (ChangeSpeed method). As it seems you are already using SWS, please use the dedicated support forum for further questions. Thanks!

36. Cannabik

Cannabik

I bought Simple Waypoint System a few hours ago and I would like to register in the support forum, but it does not allow me to create an account.

I put all the data correctly but when I hit the register button it takes a few seconds, and a registration error message appears.

37. Baroni

Baroni

Hi @Cannabik, thanks for contacting me. Let's continue in private messages, could you send me your invoice number in a private DM? Thanks!

38. Cannabik

Cannabik

Hi @Baroni, I just tried to register again and now it has worked. Thank you for your prompt reply!

39. blastedw

blastedw

Does the script allow for rotating the game object on a secondary axis? For example, if I have a plane along a path, the plane needs to face the direction of the path and also bank accordingly.

40. Baroni

Baroni

Hi @blastedw, custom rotations are supported using the waypoint rotation feature. It allows you to set the exact rotation between waypoints, e.g. for planes that tilt to either side. This is also showcased in the waypoint rotation sample scene and web player.

41. iGAMONIC

iGAMONIC

@Baroni splineMove scripts only move rigidbody enabled object in Update way, it should have option to move physics base movement with DoTween as FixedUpdate. While using Physics on mover objects, it looks like jerky in camera. if i follow camera in FixedUpdate, it smooth my physics object but DOTween movement is jerky BECAUSE its not has option to move the mover in FixedUpdate version or support physics objects.. so i need help from the devs, how Spline Move is moving the object Mover? and what to do if we need physics on object ?

42. Baroni

Baroni

Hi @iGAMONIC, please see this thread. In short, physics are contrary to movement via tweens - they cannot be applied on an object at the same time, since they interfere with each other. DOTween can be set to update in FixedUpdate or LateUpdate (usually used for camera tweens) in its settings. If you are specifically looking for a physics movement script, please follow up on the support forum, where I am tracking feature requests for future updates.

43. dipoamarjsb

dipoamarjsb

help me, after I import SWS assets into my unity, then an error like this appears
    upload_2021-8-14_16-9-39.png

44. Baroni

Baroni

@dipoamarjsb what Unity version are you using? Did you import Unity UI in the Package Manager? Or, do you have any other class in your project that is named "Outline"?

45. dipoamarjsb

dipoamarjsb

my unity version
    upload_2021-8-14_16-57-14.png
    I have this asset installed
    upload_2021-8-14_16-58-59.png

46. Baroni

Baroni

Thanks. If QuickOutline has a "Outline" class then that's the issue, since it does not use its own namespace. Assets always need to have their own namespace - those that do not are not following common coding practices. The developer of that asset needs to fix it.

As a workaround you can also simply delete the DOTweenModuleUI script of DOTween because it is not necessary for SWS to work.

47. dipoamarjsb

dipoamarjsb

after I deleted the DOTweenModuleUI script then I tried to install the waypoint placement on my terrain but it wasn't installed, I've tried pressing the P button but the waypoint is not installed until it says "Not enough waypoints placed. Canceling" after I click finish editing

Previously I had re-imported SWS assets without DOTweenModuleUI and there were some warning posts like this
    upload_2021-8-14_18-39-39.png

EDIT: the asset is already working, it turns out that Gizmos must be turned on in order to be able to install the waypoint

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  48. Baroni

Baroni

Never heard of that before, but the DOTweenModuleUI is unrelated to this. Also, the warnings in your console screenshot are not coming from SWS either.

49. dipoamarjsb

dipoamarjsb

How do I place a waypoint inside the object, when the waypoint is executed, its running location remains inside the object, not outside the object?

for example, I installed a person walking on an airplane that was running forward but when the game was running the person didn't even walk on the plane but walked at the location of the plane when it was just spawned, in other words the person walking was not even on the plane and walked alone above the sky while the plane flies forward

50. Baroni

Baroni

@dipoamarjsb You will want to look into local movement, see the "Example4_Advanced" sample scene. Your hierarchy would look like this:

Plane game object
    - Path Container (empty)
    -- Path (PathManager)
    -- Person (SplineMove)

On the movement script, set "Local Type" = "To Path".

dipoamarjsb likes this.