Search Unity

Simple Up-To-Date Multiplayer Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by WannaDev, Aug 26, 2011.

1. WannaDev

WannaDev

I hate to be that guy, the one that asks for special attention and doesn't seem to think that what's out there now is enough, but I'm stumped.

I've been working on a simple little first person dungeon crawler game, and having gotten the fundamentals down (procedural dungeon generation, character movement, torches, etc.) I wanted to go ahead and add support for additional players.

Problem: The official tutorials are out of date and spit bugs at you when you try to compile them. I did find one project that seemed to work, but it was showing me how to convert an existing, somewhat complex spaceship game to multiplayer. It was mostly "just delete these things and paste in this code. Look, you did it!" I really don't want to have to dissect and understand some random game, and then reverse engineer the code to figure out how it works.

All I want is a simple tutorial that shows me what I need to do in order to have 2+ cubes moving around via FPS controllers on a plain. No frills, just a simple base to build off of.

And if my only option is to pay $90 for something from the asset store... that just isn't an option.

So, is there anything out there like this? Am I missing some big obvious resource that would make learning to use this powerful, versatile, economical, tool easier?

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

The Resources -> Examples -> Networking Example you find at the top is still as up date as always and correct.
    Thats the option you have aside of experimenting basing on the manual and script reference alternatively.

I'm not aware of any networking tutorial.

The only networking tutorial I'm aware of that every existed is the M2H Networking Zero to Hero which got seriously expanded with sample projects and now costs a bit of money.

Also when saying that paying others for countless hours of writting something up and creating example projects during their lifetime for you to save countless hours is no option then I fear the only option is to invest the hours yourself. And hey perhaps you will write free networking tutorials then (or realize why they aren't free)

3. WannaDev

WannaDev

No, I get that. Trust me. Time = money. Just working on a budget here. No offense.

4. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I'm pretty sure steamism50 has a networking tutorial series up on youtube.

5. Aweso

Aweso

He does,
    but the problem he doesnt really explain it,just copying it.
    but It also gives a good place to start from.

6. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

When I started scripting in Unity, I had no idea what anything did, but I taught myself using the scripting reference. With his tutorials and the scripting reference, it's pretty good. I don't use C#, though, so I don't follow most of his tutorials. I usually write my own scripts using the base of what I learned in a tutorial.

7. friuns3

friuns3

8. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Sorry, but the latest version of the Networking Example project throws about 30 or 40 error messages when imported into 3.4. The script "Car.js" seems to be the culprit for most of them. You can either fix the errors or comment out "#pragma strict" to get it working again.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  9. foxter888

foxter888

If you are still having problems starting a simple networking game I can teach you through skype, so you know I use c#, hit me up ok skype look for me, foxter888