Search Unity

Simple Understanding of Real-World Lighting Values

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Phenomonaut, May 18, 2020.

1. Phenomonaut

Phenomonaut

If I set the directional light "sun" in my scene to 128,000 lux, which is a real-world value of the sun, then I have to crank an interior point light source to 100,000,000 lumens to light up a room, when that light in real-world terms should only need to be 1,000 lumens. What am I not understanding here?

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  2. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

The ambient light (mostly from the sky) is several times more intense than your interior light, so you can barely see it.
    And since there's no global illumination going on in your scene, the ambient light uniformly illuminates everything.
    GI is essential for indoor rendering, atm your room is just as bright as it is outside.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  3. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Physical light unit and interiror/exterior light have always been challenging, even in real world. When you want to have both at the same time, you need to tweak your value, sadly no choice. Here you must lower the range of your sun, which movie industry do with puting darkening gel on windows usually.

I recommend this talk for this issue: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023284/Lighting-the-City-of-Glass

keeponshading and Phenomonaut like this.
  4. DotTeam

DotTeam

Let me thank you please, as the link provided is top-notch!