Search Unity

Simple Traffic System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Dec 15, 2019.

1. tredpro

tredpro

2. marcell123455

marcell123455

I created a solution to setup waypoint routes automatically with easyroads. Check out the TurnTheGameOn discord server where I posted my solution. ;)

https://discord.gg/U4DURYkQ

Stephen_O likes this.
  3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Very cool, a number of users requested this, I'm sure they will find it useful!

marcell123455 likes this.
  4. thelocationlabdeveloper

thelocationlabdeveloper

I have rigged my tram/train object according to STS and its moving fine. But the problem is it is not turning well. I mean all the boggies are turning at once. Is there any way available to rig the tram properly with multiple bogies/Wagons?

5. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

Hi the Discord Invite has expired, any chance adding to documentation? I may but your asset soon...

Vaupell likes this.
  6. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Here's a link that won't expire: https://discord.gg/HP65H5C

7. daniel6839

daniel6839

I see that to configure pooling, the center point needs to be assigned manually in the inspector. Is there any other way to configure this? Tried to do this for the mobile racing template, but in the existing scenes, the player car and cameras spawn after the scene starts.

8. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

You can do some light scripting to assign that field at runtime, which is just a transform. Adding a script like this to the player car would work.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using TurnTheGameOn.SimpleTrafficSystem;
    4. public class AssignPoolingCenter : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     private void Awake()
    7.     {
    8.         // Find AITrafficController
    9.         AITrafficController controller = FindObjectOfType<AITrafficController>();
    10.         // Set AITrafficController.centerPoint
    11.         controller.centerPoint = transform;
    12.     }
    13. }

9. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi.

NPC cars no longer ignore signals or become unstable.

<SOLVED!!>
    ---------------
    If the distance between the nodes near the stop line at the signalized intersection is too narrow, the car will not stop. After widening the node spacing, the car now normally stops at a red light.
    ---------------

↑ This is the point ! :)

In such a case, what are the points to be aware of when setting STS?
    All cars have the same sensors and are set normally.

Thanks

Unity2019.4.21f
    macOS 11.6 BigSur
    Target device :Android/iOS

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    AGregori likes this.
  10. megapode

megapode

Hi, I’m trying to use the route editor to delete some waypoints in a long route but it is only showing the first 22 waypoints. Am I doing something wrong, please?
    I have over 100 points in a route as I am using STS as a ‘clever’ spline system for a demo rather than traffic :)

many thanks

11. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

Hello,

I last posted here about a year ago for a project I was planning, about a game that included road building.

Other work got in the way of development, but I now have the time to continue the project, and I have bought your asset.

In the game players will place roads on a map, similar to city building games. The simulated population will drive cars on the newly placed roads. Originally I wanted to simulate individual cars going on journeys from point to point. However, I have decided that this is too complex for what I need, so I would just like the cars to appear as background props when the player's camera is over the road network (a bit like how cars work in Grand Theft Auto, where they spawn around the player).

The player will make roads by placing road tiles on terrain, and I would like these new roads to be connected to the traffic network when they are placed so that cars can travel on them. In your reply to me a year ago you mentioned that you would add a method making it possible to register new routes with the AITrafficController at runtime. I am wondering if you have added this method?

Thank you for your help.

Have a good day.

12. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello, version 1.0.37 received this functionality, you can check my post below to see an example:

DromoDesigner likes this.
  13. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

Thank you for your reply - that looks like exactly what I need!

Stephen_O likes this.
  14. kimtomom06

kimtomom06

Please help the car is jittering badly when moving If I reduce the fixedtimestep value, it is stable, but I don't want to reduce the value because there is a performance problem.

15. KaushikKARA

KaushikKARA

Hi,
    I am trying to create the simulation for a highway. I created the lane using the spline route creator. I am trying to create the difference with the fast and the slow lanes. There a way to set minimun speed to a way point [similar to the SpeedLimit], or some work around for the same?

Is there a way to create lane changing where the car goes from slower lane, overtakes another car and gets back to the same lane?

I look forward to your support,
    Thanks,
    Kaushik

16. AmolGame

AmolGame

can we use this package in multiplayer game using mirror networking

17. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

No, this asset does not include any network sync features for Mirror.

18. KaushikKARA

KaushikKARA

Hi,

- Is it possible to make sure that the left lane is always faster than the right lane?
    - Is it possible to maintain all the cars at constant speed in a particular lane?

Thanks!

19. Giannisimic

Giannisimic

Hi Stephan,

great asset! We have one issue though - is it possible that cars, after overtaking another one, return to their start lane? That would be awesome.

20. faziii

faziii

Hi! I have weird problem on route connection. The cars are colliding. Is there anyway to control it?

21. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like you're using the AITrafficCar.GoToStartOnStop option, which returns the car to the first point of the route it was spawned at.

I can add a TeleportToPointOnTriggerEnter utility script/prefab, that you can place around your scene with a collider. This will let you set trigger areas that return cars to a specific point that you set via inspector, instead of of using the AITrafficCar.GoToStartOnStop option.

I'll add this tonight and post here when it's ready.

22. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.0.59 is now available.

• Added utility script TeleportToWaypointOnTriggerEnter. Attach this script to a waypoint to teleport the car to the assigned waypoint.
    • Update Burst to 1.6.6

@faziii Attaching this script to your final point will let you choose a waypoint for cars to go when they reach an unconnected waypoint. If you use this script, you should disable AITrafficCar.GoToStartOnStop option on your cars.

23. faziii

faziii

Hi Stephen! Thanks for your valuable answer and work. This excellent support by you. But unfortunately this will not solve the problem. Because I want to flow the traffic continuously. If i use your solution then, i have to recheck that which point is free then respawn the car at specifc node. It is not suitable and it will also break the pooling circle. Like cars are respawning within the circle.
    My case is that i have multiple paths, where i want to show the traffic continuously and i don't want to spawn traffic near my camera. The traffic should spawn at distance like in pooling case. Now considering this situation do you have recommendation/solution? The traffic should be continuous!

24. faziii

faziii

Hi! I tried your latest package but now this time cars are spawning back to back again at start pointing. Is there any intelligent way avialble to control so that first it check if the starting point has already a car then wait until his released from the starting point. Some kind of queue?

25. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

it sounds like you want to use the pooling system, with the ReturnToPoolOnTriggerEnter script attached to your final/unconnected waypoints. Traffic spawns up to the density you set at spawn points following the pooling system rules, specifically for you: making sure the spawn point does not contain other cars.

26. hwz2017

hwz2017

Help! AITrafficLightManager(Inspector UI)not show corret in Unity 2021.3.4f1c1
    upload_2022-7-5_16-5-24.png

27. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

28. savantedroid

savantedroid

I have a suggestion for the Stop Manager. Currently giving a fixed number for wait and active is a little unrealistic. I wish the system could activate the next AITrafficStop automatically if the active one has no cars waiting for that TrafficStop.

29. coooboy

coooboy

Why does my AI traffic car not stop at the red light and keep going whether I tap yield for traffic light or not?

30. coooboy

coooboy

I want to make my vehicle trigger the generation of some specific traffic flow when it passes a certain trigger, but neither AITrafficcontroller nor AITrafficwaypointroute supports set active(true). I don't want the traffic flow to be automatically generated at the beginning of the game.

31. coooboy

coooboy

Hi @Stephen_0, why is my ai traffic car spawned one waypoint apart instead of every waypoint. I don't have a spawn point set. The speed limit is 80 and the spacing between each waypoint is about 80-100.
    upload_2022-7-19_19-32-47.png

32. coooboy

coooboy

Hi @Stephen_0, why do I set up 10 cars but only one comes out? Sorry for mentioning several questions in a row, it's just that these questions have really bothered me for a long time and I look forward to getting your answers, thank you very much.
    upload_2022-7-19_19-47-28.png

33. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The yield trigger is just a box collider that is used as a detection area, when a car is in it, car's that are at waypoints that have it assigned will not proceed until it is empty. I recommend watching the tutorial video which demonstrates how to use it at an intersection.

If you want to spawn cars manually, you can check the RegistercarRuntime script, whech is an example of how to spawn a car and register it to the AITrafficController, it's located at:
    TurnTheGameOn\SimpleTrafficSystem\Scripts\Utility\RegisterCarRuntime

That's how default spawning is configured. You can use spawn points to control where cars will spawn if that's your goal. Also look at RegisterCarRuntime script mentioned above to spawn a specific car at a specific point.

Your route does not have enough waypoints to hold the cars you want to spawn, That route looks like it only has 2 points, a car will no spawn at final point, so the first waypoint is the only valid spawn location.

34. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for the recommendation, I will consider it for future updates.

35. coooboy

coooboy

Hi @Stephen_0, whether a spawnpoint only generates one car. If there are 10 cars in WaypointRoute, but only 1 spawnpoint, can only 1 car be generated. If I want to generate all the vehicles in WaypointRoute, do I need to set the same number of spawnpoints.

36. coooboy

coooboy

I wrote a Trafficmanager according to RegisterCarRuntime and then triggered the Trafficmanager traffic flow generation through a certain point trigger, but it seems that I have no way to control the traffic flow generated in the first frame when the game is running.

37. kimtomom06

kimtomom06

I try to skip the car AI in the middle of Update() for optimization, the cars will all stop and then move again, which is very unsightly. Is there any way to solve this

AI TrafficController script
    Update(){
    if(a==3){
    (Existing script)
    a=0;
    }else{
    a++;
    }
    }

}

38. faziii

faziii

We are using pooling system with spawn point and without spawn point. But the problem is sometime, one car is spawn on top of another car sometime? Cars are colliding sometime. It not detect before spawn that the place is empty or not.

39. garamanx

garamanx

Just put up a street system with traffic lights, and duplicated and edited your prefab car a bit. But the cars keep colliding into traffic jams. Can you help me please?

upload_2022-8-16_15-58-45.png

upload_2022-8-16_15-59-32.png

40. coooboy

coooboy

Hi, Stephen_O, what's the difference between the traffic prefabs of AI Traffic Controller and the spawn traffic vehicles of AI Traffic Waypoint Route. I mean which number works.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  41. coooboy

coooboy

Hi Stephen_O, which speed has a higher priority? AI Traffic Car Random Speed or speed limit of AI Traffic Waypoint

42. coooboy

coooboy

Hi Stephen_O, very nice traffic system. I'm using the traffic system to generate traffic flow and drive my car in the flow. May I ask what causes the vehicles in front to stop suddenly

43. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

If you enable spawn cars from AITrafficController on the AITrafficWaypointRoutes, then AITrafficController prefabs are used instead of AITrafficWaypointRoute prefabs.

AITrafficWaypoint will be what sets a speed limit the car will never pass, the random speed sets a random top speed between the range when the car is enabled.

The cars sensors detect objects by layer, set in the AITrafficController LayerMask. If the car stops for an object in your scene, check it's layer, and determine if it should be changed or removed from the LayerMask. A tutorial for adjusting the LayerMask to detect a player car can be found here:

https://simpletrafficsystem.turnthegameon.com/tutorials/video-tutorials/16.-using-a-player-car

In general you want to configure the LayerMask to only include object layers that you want the car to stop for, all other objects in your scene should use different layers.

44. coooboy

coooboy

I changed the models of AITraffic car according to your video, but the LOD and AITraffic car have different textures, resulting in the addition of brake material, which makes the whole car red. I think it's troublesome to add light. I haven't added it yet. The car can run, but it seems that the brake has become strange and cars suddenly stop. The sensors have been set on a layer. I don't know whether the light or brake material is necessary or will affect the braking. upload_2022-9-26_19-42-0.png upload_2022-9-26_19-42-30.png

By the way, when the waypoint is below the road surface, cars' behaviors become strange, such as turning left/right suddenly and hitting the guard bar or brake suddenly. Waypoints often locate partially below the surface when there are hundreds of waypoints.

I found the reason. my scene is a four-lane expressway scenario. The speed of newborn cars in the pooling is zero and accelerates slowly compared to following cars, so the fast following cars (speed=105km/h) will decelerate dramatically and even stop. In drivers' view, there are some kinds of traffic jams though the traffic flow speed is identical. I think there are two options to solve this problem. One is to increase the born speed of cars in pooling; another is to decrease the drag force when sensors detect front cars.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  45. shafei1

shafei1

Hi, could I also use the waypoint system not only to spawn AI cars but also to control part of the journey of the driver? Please let me know if this is possible

46. coooboy

coooboy

Hi, I have seen your lane change logic in AITrafficController around line840-920. I have set two routes and an obstacle in one route with many lane change points, but these cars will get into a traffic jam at the emerging point.
    upload_2022-10-27_13-1-0.jpeg

47. coooboy

coooboy

Hello, I meet a question about the AICars deceleration rapidly. Here is the situation: I have set many spawn points on the highway and their speed limit is 100km/h. I take my own car as the center of a pooling system. When I drive my car forward, I can see the AICars lining up. From the Scene view, I find that when I drive fast, the first car spawned in the pooling is accelerating from speed zero and every following car will decelerate dramatically, which looks weird. So, how to solve this problem? Thank you very much.

48. miuulm

miuulm

I have the same problem as coooboy, the cars' instant deceleration is causing traffic jams on my highway in front of the player car. The acceleration power of the cars can be changed, but I haven't found a setting for braking power. Is it not possible or am I missing something?

49. Ezecus_Studio

Ezecus_Studio

Hi
    I m so interested in your asset Simple Traffic System, I want to know if Realistic Car Controller Pro can work fine with your asset, is the IA will detect and work fine with Realistic Car Controller Pro or not?

50. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Simple traffic system only works with the included ai car controller.