Search Unity

Simple Town, Military, People, Zombies, Cars, Building and more ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by syntystudios, Feb 12, 2015.

?

What pack would you like next?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2015.
  1. Simple Farm

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Simple Airport

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. Simple Harbour

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. Simple Racer

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  5. Simple Industrial

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. Simple Suburbs

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  7. Simple Rails

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  8. Simple Construction

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  9. Simple Roads

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  10. Simple Characters

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. w34edrtfg

w34edrtfg

cool

syntystudios likes this.
  2. syntystudios

syntystudios

Also just a note - Simple Military is now a minimum of Unity 4.5 due to some mechanim features being missing from 4.0

3. gozdagb

gozdagb

In assetstore its still. Version: 1.0 (May 06, 2015) Size: 8.8 MB

4. syntystudios

syntystudios

@gozdagb - Yep, the update is almost finished (then add unity submission time) the post was an update on the update :p should have made that clearer.

5. Liam_B

Liam_B

Hello, thanks for fixing the roads on the Simple Town; but I found the issue persists on the "roadLane_straight_mesh". Just a heads up that's all (I intend on using it soon but in no hurry). Thanks!

syntystudios likes this.
  6. syntystudios

syntystudios

@Liam_B - Thx, will check that out.

7. gozdagb

gozdagb

Simple military, update, when?

8. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Any Progress or ETA on the new kits?
    I'm very interested to see the Airport kit, any teasers you can show?

9. syntystudios

syntystudios

@gozdagb - The character animation is all working and now it is just a matter of updating the demo scene, adding a medic truck, recreating the character prefabs, updating the store media and then finally submitting (that will be today)

@JohnRossitter - Once Simple Military is submitted we (there are 2 of us) can both focus on Simple Airport, so far it's going to be a pretty sweet pack, the plans are looking awesome. There is a preview on the previous page)
    We plan to also include 5 characters in the airport pack -
    Pilot
    Flight Attendant
    Airport Security
    Airport Worker
    Airport Office Worker

SIMPLE PROP UPDATE LIVE

Version 1.01
    - Removed extra folders
    - Added Unity 5 version

10. syntystudios

syntystudios

SIMPLE MILITARY UPDATE SUBMITTED [Pending Review]
    Version 1.1

Vehicles
    - Added medic truck (x3 variations)
    - Separated all wheels on vehicles
    Buildings
    - Added Guard tower
    Props
    - Added broken concrete walls x2
    Animations
    - Changed the way guns are animated (with the character)
    - Walking/Running with weapons animation
    - Stationary animations version with no root motion (Walk and Run)
    - Look up, down, left, right
    - Body orientation
    - Add Mini gun animations
    - FPS hands (with demo scene)
    Weapons - Added mini gun

We linked the asset viewer in the Simple Military description (see image) so we have a few days to work out any bugs. We will no doubt post a link here before the update goes live. (stay tuned)

FPS Demo scene -
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/34497

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  11. syntystudios

syntystudios

SIMPLE MILITARY UPDATE RELEASED ON THE ASSET STORE

note that the asset viewer will show Simple people (was expecting more time to finish it)

Maulwurfmann likes this.
  12. skrad

skrad

SIMPLE MILITARY:

Hey, great work.

The weapon change is great, it is much easier to use now, but it could still use walk/run animation with weapons.
    Few days ago when i asked this, i meant that, i feel like there should be a animation or at least a pose, with specified weapons, for walking/running.

Edit: Found it, my bad.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  13. syntystudios

syntystudios

Hi,

The 'readme.txt' file has some info about this (I know we will get this question heaps), each weapon animation will require a new Body_Horivontal_f and Body_Vertical_f value for Idle, Walk and Run

I am just putting the finishing touches on the asset viewer - this will give a better representation of what it would look like in a game.

See the Body Vertical offset

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  14. skrad

skrad

Hey, thanks for the fast reply, i looked at your Animator Controller, and now i see it. I have made my own Controller, that is why i missed it.

syntystudios likes this.
  15. syntystudios

syntystudios

We have 2 copies of the yet to be released Simple Airport asset pack up for grabs.

Enter by posting the below image on Facebook and Twitter with the link to the Synty studios asset page (see below) and the hash tag #SyntyStudios

Winners drawn on the release of Simple Airport (approx.1st August)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/publisher/5217
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    @b4c5p4c3, @VicCorvalan, @cybervaldez, @M4ns3, @UnleadedGames, @b16tran, @nuonical, @uk4dee, @pointsam, @Devision4, @paulojsam, @streetjustice, @im, @OnePxl, @someunityguy, @wdwitte, @jandesen, @shopguy, @Darkcoder, @LongJohn, @ZJP, @Vapid Linus, @Roachie, @dojoman, @ravynware, @tavza, @imphy, @smokegun, @DiNoGames, @Orepheus, @Vagaldindo, @Safebox, @andyz, @jdiperla, @biggbest, @ei8htbit, @sefou, @redchurch, @mdotstrange, @mdotstrange, @flyingmate, @someunityguy, @nathantran, @GreenBoxInteractive, @jeremiasz, @schmosef, @achristner81, @Shavik, @jaloxin, @w34edrtfg, @JohnRossitter, @acheronf, @LukeAntonissen, @Mooshoo Labs, @Aishiteru, @Cnc96, @revoxcs, @shiva.js, @davespjut, @Asl, @Maulwurfmann, @vinsanity68, @skrad, @gozdagb, @JBacal, @Shavik, @Macro, @w34edrtfg, @Liam_B

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    GreenBoxInteractive likes this.
  16. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

airport, airport, airport ... did I say AIRPORT? :D

ZJP and syntystudios like this.
  17. syntystudios

syntystudios

We will be submitting Simple Airport at the end of the weekend, so far we have 10 characters (x3 skin colors) -
    - Pilot 01
    - Pilot 02
    - Flight Attendant Female
    - Flight Attendant Male
    - Airport Security
    - Airport Worker 01
    - Airport Worker 02
    - Businessman 02
    - Tourist 02
    - Cleaner

The rest of the pack is looking AMAZING! get in on the Simple Airport competition while you can!

18. itzikpel

itzikpel

19. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

20. syntystudios

syntystudios

@itzikpel - Awesome! It would be cooler if you could control the speed at which the camera is moving (maybe a left and right arrow) as it is super slow atm. But otherwise a cool little game :)

21. jprocha101

jprocha101

That's great.

You should include health or ammo bonuses after getting X amount of headshots. Or a kill streak counter that increments until you miss, that would keep me playing longer!

There is also quite a bit of lag on my Nexus 6. Seems to happen when more than one terrorist shoots for the first time.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    syntystudios likes this.
  22. syntystudios

syntystudios

Simple Airport - Characters
    like always, each character has 3 versions
    We are working on the rest of Simple Airport and will post screens tomorrow.

Also we will release a free pack Simple Sky

23. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

great preview!

24. syntystudios

syntystudios

Simple Sky(free) - Submitted

25. JBacal

JBacal

Sweet! Thanks for this!

syntystudios likes this.
  26. syntystudios

syntystudios

We have 2 copies of the yet to be released Simple Airport asset pack up for grabs.

Enter by posting the below image on Facebook and Twitter with the link to the Synty studios asset page (see below) and the hash tag #SyntyStudios

Winners drawn on the release of Simple Airport (approx.1st August)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/publisher/5217
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    @b4c5p4c3, @VicCorvalan, @cybervaldez, @M4ns3, @UnleadedGames, @b16tran, @nuonical, @uk4dee, @pointsam, @Devision4, @paulojsam, @streetjustice, @im, @OnePxl, @someunityguy, @wdwitte, @jandesen, @shopguy, @Darkcoder, @LongJohn, @ZJP, @Vapid Linus, @Roachie, @dojoman, @ravynware, @tavza, @imphy, @smokegun, @DiNoGames, @Orepheus, @Vagaldindo, @Safebox, @andyz, @jdiperla, @biggbest, @ei8htbit, @sefou, @redchurch, @mdotstrange, @mdotstrange, @flyingmate, @someunityguy, @nathantran, @GreenBoxInteractive, @jeremiasz, @schmosef, @achristner81, @Shavik, @jaloxin, @w34edrtfg, @JohnRossitter, @acheronf, @LukeAntonissen, @Mooshoo Labs, @Aishiteru, @Cnc96, @revoxcs, @shiva.js, @davespjut, @Asl, @Maulwurfmann, @vinsanity68, @skrad, @gozdagb, @JBacal, @Shavik, @Macro, @w34edrtfg, @Liam_B

GrimDjim likes this.
  27. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

I posted to my Facebook and Twitter, but my twitter is @Materializer

syntystudios likes this.
  28. syntystudios

syntystudios

We will be searching the hashtag #SyntyStudios to find entries (we found yours) :)

29. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Right on, well in either case, I'm super excited to try the new kit(s) out, I have already carved out some space in my world for them :)

syntystudios likes this.
  30. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

31. MalachiteBR

MalachiteBR

Hello!

I recently bought simple town and I am getting ready to buy some other packs too.

I'm curious about why you separate the road mesh into 2 instead of using 1 large mesh. I found another mesh that 'could' be used in the middle of 2 road part, but the line doesn't match in size, so I cannot use it to make a larger road.

Am I missing something ?

BTW.
    I would love to see some store awnings to be able to customize further the city layout.

[EDIT]
    Just saw the simple buildings and they have the awnings ;)

BTW2.
    I would love to see other types of food store, despite burguer/donuts/icecream.

Zoonman likes this.
  32. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

I thought I would put up some screenshots of my project for ya.
    This is being rendered with CurvedWorld as well Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 1.38.48 PM (2).png Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 1.39.20 PM (2).png

33. syntystudios

syntystudios

OMG WTF - we thought their other packs were close but really. Time to contact Unity!
    More the merrier is not true in this case, if they steal our customers we wont be able to support existing assets or produce new ones.

P.S. Looks great, I've always wanted to try CurvedWorld

@MalachiteBR - We will get back to you once we sort out this cloning business.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  34. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

My thoughts exactly.
    I mean there is inspiration and there is opportunistically taking some ones else's success and trying to profit from the ground work they already laid.

It would be one thing if they were making new types of environments, but what is the value in this?

syntystudios likes this.
  35. syntystudios

syntystudios

Thanks for your support John!
    We have fired off a few emails but will also ring Unity as soon as their doors open. I'm sure they will take action as this would look bad for Unity if they allow someone to direct item for item clone others work.

36. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Are you on the asset publishers Google group?

37. syntystudios

syntystudios

no, would this help?
    Sounds like it's invite only :S Are you on the group?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  38. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Yeah.
    Send me a pm

syntystudios likes this.
  39. gozdagb

gozdagb

Simple Military, excellent :)

40. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

@JohnRossitter awesome! How to did get curvedWorld running? They are Shader right? Or Camera Effect? IF Shader do you need to apply them on all objects?!?

JohnRossitter likes this.
  41. syntystudios

syntystudios

42. biggbest

biggbest

Hey ! Thank, again, for all those nice assets ^^

Regarding the "SimpliCity" packs, is it really something you can fight against ? Since of course every 3D modeler would want to make those kind of packs, I do want my-self if I had time :-/

Well, thank you again, the military pack is awesome. By the way I hope you know that the day you'll release an RPG pack will be awesome ?! :)

43. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

It's a shader library, not a camera or post effect.

The new version (Came out yesterday) is a lot easier to use. It's a 2 step process, first you re-assign all of the shaders you are using for your materials to ones that are compatible with Curved World. They ship a TON of them with the package including versions of the standard shader, but they also have simple instructions for updating any existing shaders to support it. The next step is to add a curved world master controller to your camera, which controls the overall curvature applied to the scene.

Overall, the integration was painless, it took me about an hour to convert my scenes over. But the package does ship with a TON of shaders, so expect a LONG import of the package itself.

44. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Before you read this, let me make it clear, I do not work for Synty...I'm just a fellow asset publisher who is concerned about the trends of the asset store as of late.

I don't think the issue at hand is that of making assets in the similar style. What's going on here is a blatant copy of the kits. I want to be very careful and state, it's not a copy of the geometry and or textures, they are obviously making new meshes, but they are taking the kits made by synty and cloning each piece of it and styling it, shading it and marketing it so that there is confusion in the market.

You have to think about it from the perspective of an asset publisher.

We spend months and month working on a package for the Asset Store. We do research on the market, looking at pricing models, customer needs and all sorts of things. Then we make the asset itself, do the modeling, design, testing, beta feedback, marketing...all in all a considerable investment.....If we are lucky we will make an asset that people like and catches on. If we are even luckier, we will break even on the time we spent making the kit(s).

So you can imagine what it's like to wake up one day and see that someone has cloned all of the end result of your hard work, packaged it to look just like yours and even named them very similar.

They are taking advantage of your success.
    It's just like Flappy Birds/crossy roads clones. There is no innovation just sheer greed and a desire to make a profit based on someone else's research and hard work.

Is it against the rules? No.
    Is it ethical, No
    Is it a a$$h0le move?....well...that's for you to decide.

syntystudios likes this.
  45. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

Unfortunately, this is just the nature of the business and time period we're in. :(

I've read the book 'Gamers At Work' some time ago. It's about the pioneers who created some of what's today's biggest studios and hit games. I remember how 9/10 stories in that book involved ripping someone off. For instance, the guys who made Civilization tell how they copied the game (including the name) from a board game. The guy even says he had to apologize to the original creator and trick him into signing a contract where he promised that every copy of the game would have a coupon inside for the Civilization board game. They guy goes further and says that if the original creator insisted in a royalty deal he would have made millions.

--

The name 'SimpliCity' compared to 'Simple City' is an obvious attempt to confuse the customer and that's indeed illegal according to trademark rules. So the publisher has basis here to take the other one down.

That said, this low poly and shading style was also based on the work of an artist who also spend a great deal of work on it and it was now turned it into an asset. Again, it's all about where you draw your moral line.

46. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Yeah, like I said, it's not technically "against the rules", but it's just a lousy thing to do.
    What gets me is that NoirFX, does actually make some great kits. I don't know why they don't just either continue the style they are making or make more low poly kits that are original environments. They are hurting their own reputation and brand just to make a quick buck.

47. biggbest

biggbest

Hi John !
    I totally aggree, I was just wondering what was the real problem with those kits, but now I understand of course.
    So this publisher should refactor the way it sells those kits I guess... Whatever, that was just a side question.

By the way John, nice screenshots, CurvedWorld looks amazing, I was looking for this kind of asset some years ago, without any success...

48. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Thanks!
    Yeah I had purchased Curved World back in Feb of this year but was unable to use it until the release the just put out yesterday. I'm very pleased with it, and it actually gained me FPS to use it :)

49. biggbest

biggbest

Ah ah :D Quite simple to make a kind of sphere walkable world ? :)

50. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Yes!
    You just make your world as you normally would.
    Then apply their shaders and master control script.
    You specify the curvature amount you want applied to the scene, and its done.
    You can do a slight curve like I did in the photos I posted, or you can go nuts and make a complete sphere.
    Remember, this is just shader magic, no geometry or physics are changing, just they way the camera renders the existing stuff.