Search Unity

Simple terrain mapper

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sleglik, Aug 30, 2011.

1. sleglik

sleglik

Hi,

I am finishing new extension for terrain mapping. Right now is finished mass detail placement. This extension is huge time save but is really simple to create. I will decide how much it will cost (but price will not be higher than 50 dollars).

Link to asset store: link

Features

- placing details according textures
    - every texture can have different detail
    - every detail can have individual intensity
    - you can still use terrain features
    - mass placement trees
    - height limitation
    - saving settings to file (much easier usage)
    - multi terrain feature

Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJ9kicz5Po

All features should be finished this week (maybe later ;) ). If anyone interested let me know.

PS: Don´t worry I will still continue work on RPG kit. I need it for my game. I need this extension too so I build it for me and for you :).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. mk1978

mk1978

Looks interesting and I will definitely check this!

It is hard to say anything smart about pricing. 50 dollars may be a little on high side for me when comparing this with Tom's Terrain Tools. Anyway, there are much more expensive terrain mappers and the product is not complete yet.

Will there be some option for randomness when placing details? For example, if you place two details on single texture with similar density, it won't be even distribution of these two details.

3. solidcrash

solidcrash

Will this terrain mapper include rpg kit?
    If it does, I think you better research in bumpmap,
    and do that able to use 3d polygon?

because I hate that 2d billboard. Look fine for far away. But not close up.

Keep it up. :)

4. sleglik

sleglik

So I finished trees and details.

Now I will finish save / load. Some GUI improvements, add more variations, more configurations.

Tomorrow I will create placing random objects. Final price will be 30 dollars. 50 is too much for this. But still can be huge time saver I think.

New video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8CuvxM6b-0

5. sleglik

sleglik

I fnished random objects placement. Save / load finish and I can release it. So my plan is delayed. No more dates about release. I am delayed two / three days :).

New video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEBnbEEqUFg

Do you need some other features for trees/ details / objects?

6. blackant

blackant

could you implement slopeand altitude for painting textures and meshes ?

7. RoyS

RoyS

I don't mind paying more, but for those who have RPG Kit and want this, can it be integrated with the RPG Kit if we pay for this addon? I guess I'm wondering how the save system will go for the game and this.

Can we purchase this directly from you rather than asset store?

8. mk1978

mk1978

Thanks for adding the random placement.

9. sleglik

sleglik

Blackant: Yes I can add it. But this feature is already in Terrain toolkit and it is free! So there is no reason to have this feature twice. I can create video how you can combine terrain toolkit and this...

RoyS: Yes you can buy it from me directly. You can use it to with RPG kit. I created this extension also for my game... My save / load functionality will support it. Do you want video how you can place creatures randomly?

Mk1978: No problem :)

10. sleglik

sleglik

So basic version is completed. You can buy it here: http://www.e-junkie.com/janslegl

First week will be price 30 dollars. All other upgrades are free. I have plan do some features and improve tutorial file.

I think this extension usefull for anyone who is using big terrains.

11. solidcrash

solidcrash

your terrain mapper look nice.

but I think it suitable for RTS and "runescape" MMO.

very useful for my turn based games. now I can see you are on your way to finished my games. ;)

here your criticism from me.....
    after I saw your demo on youtube, I don't think it's useful for your RPG kits. yet.
    I think you need show off that there a close-up details suitable for FPS/TPS (3rd person shooter)
    and suitable for PC and PS3/X360 etc. ( I am plan to use PC.)
    and I can't see there any bump map and normal map for that terrain.
    and I am worry if there any re-size the image for ground, show us.

and I would like to see how ya add water for an river/sea/lake and swim in it. ( for RPG kits.) or an penalty for RTS ( my turn based games need it.)

12. sleglik

sleglik

I will test it with "Advanced Terrain Shaders" and I will make video with better look...

You can resize image as usual. Terrain features are still available

Penalty for RTS? It is very easy to do. You will just need to define rules. TextureIndex = 0 = This rule....

So I will create new video in the evening.

13. sleglik

sleglik

During Friday / Saturday I will release new version.

It will have better GUI of editors, faster tree placement and mainly multi-zone mapping and multi-zone itself.

It will work for Unity Indie (I don´t have pro). Pro users can make really easy change to make loading much faster. They will change one line of code :).

So it will be that you can select multiple terrain, select textures and random place all objects / trees / details and it will place on all terrains. So creating huge world can be really fast :).

14. solidcrash

solidcrash

15. sleglik

sleglik

So I did not solve problem with terrain but I found one great bug inside my mapper! So everybody must be happy! :)

I will fix it and send you corrected version asap :). Next week this simple version be also on asset store. I will add height distance for trees / details etc...

16. psyclone

psyclone

Is this Documented? or is this an option in the editor of the settings of the script?

17. sleglik

sleglik

No multi zone is not documented now. I have problem to create it. I will do it when I will solve some problems.

I wont to finish it. But it will be more time than I expected.

18. Jaimi

Jaimi

While you are at it, there are some features I would like to see. If you can't get to them, then I will try to work on them next week, but maybe other people would like these also:

1. Add a "height above water" checkbox, and a height for details. So we can optionally stop the placement of details under the ocean.
    2. Add a "minimum texture value" to detail placement (maybe a default of 0.2?) so if there is not much of the texture there, then a detail would not be placed there. This would be a lot easier than playing with the intensity.

Fun stuff:

1. Flatten terrain under object. This would flatten just the terrain area under an object, and optionally, clear out the details/trees under the object and/or set the ground texture under it. This would make it super easy to place buildings/rocks, etc.

19. solidcrash

solidcrash

do ya mean height above sea level? hah

20. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, except I would have the script use the water object and determine the sea level.

21. 3DIM

3DIM

Hello fans.

I am helping sleglik's with 3d artist and animation. Environment is my skills and I am helping him to improved it.

About that water object, he will think about that after he done with his target aim. Because he have his own deadline for those list he need to done.

Thank you.

Dan

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  22. sleglik

sleglik

Finally I submited Terrain mapper to Asset store we will see when it will be accepted.

So who bought Terrain mapper should receive email about new update

New features

- faster tree placement
    - progress bar during details placement
    - alphamap value during tree/details placement (now is important how much is texture present on field)
    - minimum height for trees/details

And some bugfixing.

EDIT: New video where I am using terrain toolkit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJ9kicz5Po

23. sleglik

sleglik

New planning features

- shader support

- more options for game objects random placing

- adding textures (and normal maps)

- better tutorial :)

Price will be next week 45 dollars with some textures with normal map.

24. solidcrash

solidcrash

That's good! looking forward for that.

Shader support? for unity's crap terrain?? wow.... cant wait for that terrain's shader tutorial..

25. sleglik

sleglik

Good news everyone I finished that terrain mapper. All customers should receive email with new version.

So shader support, normal maps added and also better tutorial. I

When I will figure how to solve multi terrain feature I promise that I will do it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  26. sleglik

sleglik

Good news everyone terrain mapper finally reached asset store link

I also added some normal maps created but in next version I will prepare much better normal maps and textures... every upgrades are free as usually here.

27. sleglik

sleglik

Good news! I cannot sleep so I tryed again multi terrain problem again and now solved! So finally I will be able to create game like Oblivion with save load, chasing enemy etc...

I need some time to prepare better version of script (more user friendly). Today during day I will record video how it works and during week I will submit it to Asset store.

So in this extension you will receive terrain mapping and multi terrain feature.

28. duke

duke

Are you serious? There are at least 3 different terrain shader replacements on these forums - you've been able to do this since forever.

29. solidcrash

solidcrash

I am new to this unity. I am more unreal engine user. :p

30. sleglik

sleglik

So I finally prepared Demo... next time I will be silent about day when it will be ready....

You can watch here: http://rpgkit.hostuju.cz/Mapper/WebPlayer.html

Problem is that I have Unity free so you can notice that lag when new map is loaded. With UnityPro lag is probably almost reduced. Now is missing some code refactoring and also manual.

New price of basic terrain mapper will be 50 dollars.

31. gordonramp

gordonramp

Great. Appears to work alright. Nice work.

32. sleglik

sleglik

I just uploaded Multi terrain feature to asset store. So in one extension you will receive multi terrain AND terrain mapping.

Now I am preparing last new feature and it will be better texture manipulation. Terrain toolkit has only 6 textures and I want to add support for more. Also create some combinations. I mean two textures in one place or height mixing...

All my customers also will receive email with nwe update. I had to change download location.

33. RoyS

RoyS

You're a genius, Sleglik! More terrain textures will allow us to use one of those for dirt paths as the original 4 textures was too few to do this with. I'm looking forward to the better textures as well as the multi terrain feature.

34. sleglik

sleglik

Well I am too humble.... but yes I am genius :eek:)

I will make now screenshots of new models for RPG starter kit! I want create two perfect extensions for Unity.

35. sleglik

sleglik

So I have 90% finished of texture mapping. Now you can place as many textures you want or you can use one texture in different combinations.

When I am speaking in this video about "last feature" I mean last "big feature". I will do small improvements if will somebody need it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5wLMPeLHjk

If you want to buy directly it just send me PM. Asset store crew is delayed I submited multi terrain feature and it is not still in AS :eek:)

36. solidcrash

solidcrash

what about texture according slope? because grass cannot sit on deepest slope.

an good example

37. sleglik

sleglik

Check your email!

New texture mapping arrived. I also removed all warnings. Height according slope is not finished. I will prepare it. Mapper is still 45 dollars.

EDIT: in download link one folder is not "Mapper" but "Maper"! Sorry for problems. You can send me email for correct link.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  38. WhendricSo

WhendricSo

Keep working on the plugin.

Oh, and your web player demo for multi terrain either:

1) Isn't loading due to server error

or

2) Doesn't run on OSX Lion

Not sure which but you might want to check that out, since the link in the asset store has a broken video that could hurt sales...

Anyways this plugin looks really cool! When you get a bit farther along with it, I would like to try it out.

39. sleglik

sleglik

Hi that video is not running on OSX Lion. I really don´t know why. I cannot publish Mac video :eek:(.

That link with video I will submit again. I am working on some new features.

40. mk1978

mk1978

I am having some problems to place the details. When choosing specific texture I loose the place/delete detail button in the lower part of the menu, see picture. Also, something strange happens with Terrain Editor menus. It seems that when placing trees I don't have this same problem.

41. sleglik

sleglik

Ah I totaly forgot to response :(. Sorry sorry.... Better contact on me is email. On your screenshot you have 0 details in terrain editor.

-------------------------------------------

So new feature for detail placement. You can look at this video. I hope that you will understand :eek:).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q-qhkpu7Pw

42. deis

deis

Forget what I posted, I located it on the Asset Store. Thank you for an awesome product!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  43. sleglik

sleglik

I submited to Asset store one bugfixing during object placement.

Do you have any suggestion how to improve this utility? I will do what you want.

44. sleglik

sleglik

I lowered price to 30 dollars. If you have any idea how to improve it. Just tell me...

45. sleglik

sleglik

So I have new features for basic terrain mapper mainly for details placement but also for objects

- Every detail can have different texture coverage
    - you can select if details are fluent growth
    - every object can choose how is placed on terrain

---------------------------

soon I will prepare video and submit to asset store and also to version for RPG advanced kit cause in this kit is this extension for free

46. sleglik

sleglik

47. petero181

petero181

Hi, just bought your terrain mapper. I cannot find terrain toolkit script ... is this script included or not ?

48. sleglik

sleglik

49. petero181

petero181

i c ... :) so sorry that i don't know ... thx for your info ... btw your terrain mapper are so great tool

50. sleglik

sleglik

Hi,

I added new feature for texture mapping. Very important = mapping texture according slope.

Here is link: http://youtu.be/M2k707KNpIk

Who bought advanced RPG kit this update will be for free.