Search Unity

Feature Request Simple QoL improvements that would help us tremendously

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by ribponce, Sep 21, 2021.

1. ribponce

ribponce

There are a few small quality of life improvements that I can think of that would help everyone's workflow quite a bit, in my opinion. I hope it's alright if I compile these suggestions on this same post.

1. Hold Alt + Click/Drag to clone/duplicate a node -
    This functionality is common in so many other network-based, visual scripting packages. It speeds up the iterative process a lot, since Control+C/Control+V currently does not paste the copied node where the mouse pointer is. Which is the second point below.

2. Copy/Paste nodes should land at the mouse pointer's position - Currently after pasting many nodes together at once, while zoomed far out in the network, it's often easy to try and move selected them and accidentally click on a parameter instead and deselecting everything. Controlling where the pasted nodes land would help a lot with this.

3. Conform to Sphere needs some siblings - In fact, I believe we need a new multi-purpose node. Just like we have a Conform to Signed Distance Field, having something like a Conform to Mesh would be extremely helpful.

4. Collide with Meshes - On a similar note, the current "Collide with" nodes are a bit limiting (they don't allow rotations, for example). Having a custom input on a new multi-purpose Collide with Mesh node would be fantastic.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks!

florianBrn likes this.
  2. Qriva

Qriva

I agree with point 2, it could be improved a bit.

3. andybak

andybak

I suspect points 3 and 4 would be problemmatic from a performance point of view. There's a reason VFX Graph loves signed distance fields and it's not just because they are wicked cool.