Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Simple QoL improvements that would help us tremendously

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by ribponce, Sep 21, 2021.

1. ribponce

ribponce

There are a few small quality of life improvements that I can think of that would help everyone's workflow quite a bit, in my opinion. I hope it's alright if I compile these suggestions on this same post.

1. Hold Alt + Click/Drag to clone/duplicate a node -
    This functionality is common in so many other network-based, visual scripting packages. It speeds up the iterative process a lot, since Control+C/Control+V currently does not paste the copied node where the mouse pointer is. Which is the second point below.

2. Copy/Paste nodes should land at the mouse pointer's position - Currently after pasting many nodes together at once, while zoomed far out in the network, it's often easy to try and move selected them and accidentally click on a parameter instead and deselecting everything. Controlling where the pasted nodes land would help a lot with this.

3. Conform to Sphere needs some siblings - In fact, I believe we need a new multi-purpose node. Just like we have a Conform to Signed Distance Field, having something like a Conform to Mesh would be extremely helpful.

4. Collide with Meshes - On a similar note, the current "Collide with" nodes are a bit limiting (they don't allow rotations, for example). Having a custom input on a new multi-purpose Collide with Mesh node would be fantastic.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks!

florianBrn likes this.
  2. Qriva

Qriva

I agree with point 2, it could be improved a bit.

3. andybak

andybak

I suspect points 3 and 4 would be problemmatic from a performance point of view. There's a reason VFX Graph loves signed distance fields and it's not just because they are wicked cool.