Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Simple pendulum movement

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by mrCharli3, Dec 8, 2018.

1. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

I have a ball at the end of a string, the string is attached to a cube with the following script on it. The ball moves back and forth kind of like a pendulum, but with a constant speed. How can I make it so the speed is more like a pendulum? i.e slow down before changing direction.

Here is the relevant logik I use, only for the x-axis to keep it short:

Code (CSharp):
    2. void Start()
    3.     {
    4.         _rotateUntil = transform.rotation.eulerAngles * -1; //sets the point of changing direction, i.e if I start at 30 degress, I change dir at -30 degrees.
    5.     }
    7. void FixedUpdate()
    8.     {
    9.         transform.Rotate(_dir * Time.deltaTime * _currentSpeed);
    10.         Swing();
    11.     }
    13. private void Swing()
    14.     {
    15.         float angle = 0;
    16.         float target = 0;
    17.         angle = (transform.rotation.eulerAngles.x > 180) ? transform.rotation.eulerAngles.x - 360 : transform.rotation.eulerAngles.x;
    18.          target = _rotateUntil.x;
    19.          if (angle <= target)
    20.               ChangeDir();
    21. }

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

What you want is simple harmonic motion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_harmonic_motion

You can trivially get close to this in Unity by simply using the Mathf.Sin() of a steadily advancing variables, rather than pingponging linearly between to limits.

I would just put a local pivot into the gameObject hierarchy and drive that directly.

If you wanted that pivot to swing along the +Z axis, this would be the code:

Code (csharp):
    1. float MaxAngleDeflection = 30.0f;
    2. float SpeedOfPendulum = 1.0f;
    4. float angle = MaxAngleDeflection * Mathf.Sin( Time.time * SpeedOfPendulum);
    5. myPivotTransform.localRotation = Quaternion.Euler( 0, 0, angle);
    Speed of 1.0 implies a period of 2 * pi. Speed of Mathf.PI * 2 would be a period of one second.

mrCharli3 likes this.
  3. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

I knew there had to be some way that didnt involve over 100 lines of code. This is exactly what I was looking for. You are the best!

Kurt-Dekker likes this.