Search Unity

Question Simple noise is less "smooth"/has distinct lines on slower PC

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by aasmundwt, Oct 21, 2020.

1. aasmundwt

aasmundwt

This is what the simple noise looks like on my friend/co-worker's desktop PC, nice and smooth and it works great for the shader he's working on.
    Image 451.png

However on my laptop it looks like this, there are clear lines in the noise which makes the shader look odd. any idea what's causing this, and any tips on how to fix/work around it? Image 450.png

2. aasmundwt

aasmundwt

ok, now it looks like this on my laptop, anyone have an idea?
    Image 454.png

3. mgear

mgear

i guess need to see source (at least the generator parts)

4. Olmi

Olmi

OP probably meant that the Shader Graph "Simple Noise" node produces wrong results on some system? If that is the case, then right click over the node and select "Show Generated Code" which does what it says.

5. mgear

mgear

oh sorry didn't notice it was done in shadergraph.. probably report as a bug also then.

6. ragyhassan22

ragyhassan22

i am having the same issue

7. bgolus

bgolus

Looks to me like a precision issue. My guess is you're panning the input UV with the Time node. Do that long enough and eventually there's not enough precision in the floating point values to get a smooth change between UV positions.

If you're multiplying the Time node to make it move faster, it won't even be that long before you start to see problems. As short as few minutes. And AFAIK it's based on how long ago you opened up the editor, so if you've been working all day on something, even if you haven't multiplied the Time by a big value, there's a good chance you'll start to see issues at the end of a single day.

Whenever you offset a UV, you want to use a Fraction node on the offset before adding it to the UV or inputting it into the the Tiling and Offset node.

joshnaro likes this.