Search Unity

Simple multiplayer game

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Leandre35677, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Leandre35677

Leandre35677

Hello everyone,

I would like to make a multiplayer game, but very simple with a kind of living room where you can create or join a game (created you get a code and join you type the code to go to the created game) but the problem is that I haven't found any documentation on this subject.
    If you can redirect me to an article or video that could help me in my project it would be very nice.

Thank you all.

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Don't know about your code system idea, but my guess is one of the Photon Cloud flavors are something you should look at. They have a 20 CCU free license you can use while developing the game or just to try it out.

Otherwise you should look at the various network API's available for Unity, specifically the available lobby systems for them. As far as I'm aware the new Unity provided network API doesn't yet have a lobby system, and no idea if they even plan one, so you should look at 3rd party API. Unet had a lobby system and example, but since that is deprecated and the lobby system example was routinely criticized for being buggy, you shouldn't even bother with it.

You can of course build your own lobby system for any network API, but building a lobby system and keeping your game "simple" don't go well together. This is somewhat complicated functionality.

Lastly, if this is your first game at all, you shouldn't make it multiplayer. Creating a networked multiplayer game requires at least moderate skills/experience with Unity to be successful. You're more likely to get frustrated and give up than complete the project, and you'll multiply the time it takes to complete your game by roughly 3X just by making it multiplayer. So something single player which you could finish really fast, like 4 months, will take probably a year, etc. My first completed and shipped game was pretty simple, took only 8 months of my spare time including the last few months of details and polish, and I really think if I had made it multiplayer like my partner suggested it would have taken at least 2 years.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    MD_Reptile likes this.
  4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

^ couldn't have said it better myself, unfortunately.

Joe-Censored likes this.