Search Unity

Simple movement example throw exception.

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by distantcam, Mar 23, 2018.

1. distantcam

distantcam

So I'm playing around with ECS and am trying to set up a simple example of moving an existing GameObject (cube).

I've added the GameObjectEntitiy, PositionComponent, HeadingComponent, MoveForwardComponent, MoveSpeedComponent, and CopyTransformToGameObjectComponent to my cube. I've set the heading to (0, 0, 1) and the move speed to 1.

When I run this however I get the following exception.

InvalidOperationException: The NativeArray CopyTransforms.entities must be marked [ReadOnly] in the job CopyTransformToGameObjectSystem:CopyTransforms, because the container itself is marked read only.
    Unity.Jobs.LowLevel.Unsafe.JobsUtility.ScheduleParallelForTransform (Unity.Jobs.LowLevel.Unsafe.JobsUtility+JobScheduleParameters& parameters, System.IntPtr transfromAccesssArray) <0x3607b350 + 0x00072> in <a58d63d105984c39abb8652b638a76b1>:0
    UnityEngine.Jobs.IJobParallelForTransformExtensions.Schedule[T] (T jobData, UnityEngine.Jobs.TransformAccessArray transforms, Unity.Jobs.JobHandle dependsOn) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Jobs/Managed/IJobParallelForTransform.cs:58)
    Unity.Transforms.CopyTransformToGameObjectSystem.OnUpdate (Unity.Jobs.JobHandle inputDeps) (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.entities@0.0.11/Unity.Transforms.Hybrid/CopyTransformToGameObjectSystem.cs:54)
    Unity.Entities.JobComponentSystem.InternalUpdate () (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.entities@0.0.11/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystem.cs:353)
    Unity.Entities.ScriptBehaviourManager.Update () (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.entities@0.0.11/Unity.Entities/ScriptBehaviourManager.cs:82)
    Unity.Entities.ScriptBehaviourUpdateOrder+DummyDelagateWrapper.TriggerUpdate () (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.entities@0.0.11/Unity.Entities/ScriptBehaviourUpdateOrder.cs:59)

How do I fix this?

2. Krajca

Krajca

this is your answer

3. Soaryn

Soaryn

The problem I believe, is that the 'CopyTransformToGameObjectSystem' script is provided with the ECS.

4. distantcam

distantcam

Yes, all of those components are part of Unity's ECS. I didn't write them.

5. mike_acton

mike_acton

Unity Technologies

I’ll have to take a look.

6. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Any ideas? As I see EntityArray in Job does not change and ReadOnly attribute should not interfere

Code (CSharp):
    1. [ComputeJobOptimization]
    2.         struct CopyTransforms : IJobParallelForTransform
    3.         {
    4.             [ReadOnly] public ComponentDataFromEntity<Position> positions;
    5.             [ReadOnly] public ComponentDataFromEntity<Rotation> rotations;
    6.             public EntityArray entities;
    8.             public void Execute(int index, TransformAccess transform)
    9.             {
    10.                 var entity = entities[index];
    12.                 if (positions.Exists(entity))
    13.                 {
    14.                     transform.position = positions[entity].Value;
    15.                 }
    16.                 if (rotations.Exists(entity))
    17.                 {
    18.                     transform.rotation = rotations[entity].Value;
    19.                 }
    20.             }
    21.         }

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  7. mike_acton

mike_acton

Unity Technologies

Yes that should just be readonly. It'll be changed in the next package update, I'm sure - but in the meantime you could probably just edit locally.

eizenhorn likes this.
  8. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Yes, I did, I created my MyCopyTransformToGameObjectComponentWeNeedMoreLettersInTitle :D