Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Simple Mirror Terrain Tool | Intro to Terrain Tools?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by EdgelessCorner, Apr 9, 2019.

1. EdgelessCorner

EdgelessCorner

Hello All!

Over the past few days, I started messing around with the new Terrain system. It opens up so many opportunities for artists especially with custom brushes, but there's a bit to take in at once. I started off trying to create something simple with the help of the Sample Terrain Tools (thank you Terrain 2.0 Team). I've always liked the mirroring tool on sculpting/modeling software like Zbrush, so I tried recreating it. It's still a work in progress.

Also because the mirror tool seems simple enough to grasp I'd love to make a step by step tutorial. It'll target artists and anyone willing to learn the system who might not want to go through all the documentation to get started. I'd definitely like to hear any feedback or ideas you might have. This is all a learning prosses for me.

Some possible things I'd like to add in the future are...
    - Alpha Map painting (Textures)
    - Better multi-terrain support
    - Clearer brush preview
    - In-depth "Intro to terrain tools" tutorial

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

TerraUnity, sylon and wyattt_ like this.
  2. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Very cool!

3. EdgelessCorner

EdgelessCorner

Thanks Wyatttt!

4. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Hi @EdgelessCorner!

was just curious what ever became of this. I am finding myself in need a similar solution.

5. edgelesscorner_unity

edgelesscorner_unity

Hey there @Kellyrayj, unfortunately I moved on to other projects. Looking back I wish I put the code up on a repository. It didn't take much time to create. I mostly mimicked the code within the Clone Brush to get the second preview to appear. Then did some simple linear algebra/bounding box math to position the second brush.

Sorry I wasn't of much help. If I do pass by the code I'll make sure to send it your way.

wyattt_ likes this.