Search Unity

Simple Gravity Based Stacking Game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Brian-Sinasac, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Brian-Sinasac

Brian-Sinasac

Hello all,

This is my first Unity3D game. It was created for android but converted to webplayer. Unfortunately when I uploaded it to the site, I entered the wrong resolution in the upload form, so the interface looks a bit wonky.

I am a recent father of twins and will be taking the next few years off to raise them (my wife makes double the money I do...life of an animator I guess). During that period I will be hopefully publishing indie games. My goal for this first was straightforward, something simple I could finish on my own, and something that would be written for mobile devices.

Comments or criticism is welcome.

http://www.indiepubgames.com/game/Stacked

Thanks...

2. Oana

Oana

Cute game, you're off to a good start!

If I may suggest one thing, you should switch mode a and mode b around, because mode b is easier and people will first click on the first one, and giving them an easier learning curve will keep them from getting frustrated.

Other than that, great initiative! Best of luck! :)

3. Brian-Sinasac

Brian-Sinasac

Thanks Oana. Looking forward to making many more.

4. GeorgeRigato

GeorgeRigato

I know it's hard to achieve the simplicity and the fun at the same time and I think you did it. It's perfect for a mobile game.

The ways I suggest to improve:

- The gameplay could get a little more action with some kind of powerup system. The player would buy them outside of the game screen or a "powerup box" could fall now and then. The types could be: randomly change the color of the block tapped next, add temporary diagonal walls to the side of the platform to prevent blocks from falling over, temporary reduction of time scale.

- Improve graphic quality. In three ways: GUI, overall gameplay elements and scenario. That said, I must add that I'm developing and indie mobile game by myself too and as a programmer the top difficulty I find is to produce nice pretty visual elements (gameplay or GUI). But I know that the final user can't be "penalized" by it. Maybe for him, the fact that the game he is playing was made by one person only, is just a fun fact. So I'm making an effort to learn 3D modelling and other skills to produce a better visual quality for my game.

I really liked your game. You definitely should update this and keep developing indies while raising your twins. I'll look forward to see your future games.

5. Brian-Sinasac

Brian-Sinasac

Thanks, George. Some interesting ideas there. All the background art was supplied by my 4 and 6 year old next door neighbours. The other assets are simply cubes generated in Blender. I'm a maya artist by trade (before that I was an engineer so I know how to code as well) but I wanted to do everything on legit software. I'm definitely not a GUI designer. In my opinion that is the hardest part of game design, but as far as other art assets (modeling, animating, rigging, texturing) I've been doing it for years, professionally. It's not hard with some practice. I've worked on features films (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Piranha 3D, Resident Evil), TV shows and video games. I've even did my own indie film that toured most of the world, playing in over 40 festivals. It's here if you'd like to see it:

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi1669530137/

Thanks for trying the game!