Search Unity

Simple Fracture Script [v 1.01]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by •BTM, Aug 20, 2010.

1. a.callum

a.callum

Hi, I'm currently testing out your script I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. However I am not really sure I understand how to piece it all together.

Do I apply the script to each object I want to fracture? I am not sure how to use the function you posted to call it from a script.

Also I am receiving these errors when just importing an compiling (no other settings/touching anything):

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

2. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Go back one page and you would have found the answer ;)

3. a.callum

a.callum

Thank you indeed, I must have completely glanced over the important posts on that page. However, I am now receiving a different error:

This appears to be the same as someone's post just above mine. Any ideas how to fix this? Using Unity 3.4

4. SanX

SanX

Just add these "" to this -> newObject.GetComponent(SimpleFracture).Fracture(point,force,iterations);

Like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. newObject.GetComponent("SimpleFracture").Fracture(point,force,iterations);
    I dont know will this work, but the error messages will go away...

5. vinoful

vinoful

Hi all ,

Good Day,

Thank you for all the ideas posted here,

I would like to know is tht possible to cut the trees in the terrain , It will be really helpful for my learning process.

Thank You

6. clockwork_fromage

clockwork_fromage

i've run into a little snag that i would need your help with , im trying to put your script on each of a large grid of cubes and the big problem is that they all need to be mesh colliders instead of box but this takes massive amounts of memory compared to box colliders , do you think there would be a way to make box colliders turn to mesh the moment they get hit or would that go against the way colliders are made ?

also , broken pieces of an object dont collide with the original piece and in a grid made of the same block instanciated over and over they just seem to fall straight trough the whole grid since their all the original piece , any idea for this ?

edit , actualy nevermind about the mesh collider thing turns out theyr not that heavy i just ad a heavy shader on them by mistake

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  7. Benproductions1

Benproductions1

Sorry to say, but I'm using unity 3.4.0 and am getting compiler errors from your script.

This error appears four times:
    Assets/Scripts/simplefracture_163(1).js(134,96): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'SimpleFracture'.

I tried renaming the script to SimpleFracture but gave me more errors. :(

BTW love your demo. It's little things like this, that make games awsome!!! :D
    If only they worked...

happy coding...
    Benproductions1

8. •BTM

•BTM

I'm aware that there are problems with the script in 3.4, on top of some existing problems and limitations in the posted version. I might resurrect it for an idea of mine; hopefully I'll find the time to make an update for the script in the near future. If I do, I'll make some much needed improvements on it simultaneously.

9. clockwork_fromage

clockwork_fromage

that would be great , your script is very useful and gives amazing results i must have read it 15 times to make sure i get everything going on in there , if i may make a suggestion , ive been trying to add force based on the fracture's force but i havent really got it to work yet , now the pieces just fall straight down which is pretty boring

10. xdgabzxd

xdgabzxd

Hey man, siicckk script! I was wondering, how did you make the brown walls that are used in the demo thing of this? I tried making a cube with a rigid body but all the parts are rubbish and fly away when shot. Help please? Or maybe release the link to the demo project as a folder so i can look at it on there? Thanks :)

11. feloxy

feloxy

Hey just wanted to say DUDE YOUR SO AWESOME ! gonna try this when i get home.

12. disturbing

disturbing

I think you would love nvidia apex. Would be interesting if we can implement that for destruction in Unity.

13. teddylau168

teddylau168

I am using Unity3.4 ! i am waiting :(

14. eskielsantana

eskielsantana

I am also very anxious waiting since we also use the Unity3.4 xD

15. pitbull2080

pitbull2080

hi guys , i have a problem with this script.
    i dont know how to call the script to cut the object and where i have to assign the script, on the object or on the cutter.

to resume i have a cutter and i want that he fracture a 3d cow when i press "space button"
    i'm running on unity 3.1 and i have corrected all the script errors.

so please how can i call this script from another script?

thank you

16. lee74saurusr3x

lee74saurusr3x

Wow. This is absolutely amazing. Someone could easily turn this into something equal to or even better than battlefield type destruction. Great work man.

17. rtumelty

rtumelty

Hi, first post on the Unity forums. I updated the script for Unity 3.4, hope you don't mind! I've not adjusted any functionality, just changed it enough so it'll work with the new Unity. If anyone's looking for it, I've posted it here:

http://pastebin.com/CkT4Sfp6

18. Nhomme-Beurre-One

Nhomme-Beurre-One

Hello,

I was wondering if it works in Unity 3.5 and if yes how to you make it work ?

19. *ShiNe

*ShiNe

Hey. I've edited it a bit so it's now working for me with 3.5

Attached Files:

20. MrGoodKill

MrGoodKill

Yop.

I know many people already asked but could someone explain, even briefly, how to use that script? I'm new to Unity 3D but it looks so F***ing awesome i'd like to know how to implement it in future games.
    I guess we have to import the script as an asset in a unity project but what then?
    I tried adding the script to the fps controller and to a mesh colider but it didn't work. It may seem silly but i have no idea how to make it work thank's i don't script.

Thank you very much ;).

21. jasonwupilly

jasonwupilly

Hey guys, if any of you guys use this, does anybody know good settings to simulate glass breaking?

22. cupsster

cupsster

Thankx for sharing code! Will test it for sure when I will have time cause I was searching for some example like this while ago.

23. Mrkanghoo

Mrkanghoo

Hi! I'm beginner.i just want to cut the cube.how i got it?
    thank.

24. RetepTrun

RetepTrun

Thankyou ShiNe finally I can use this script again XD

I see some people dont know how to use it.
    You make an object in a 3d program, (in blender I just made an icosphere). Import it to unity.
    Add the script to it
    Add a mesh collider, set to convex
    Add a rigidbody
    Move the object up a bit high and start the scene to see it drop an break

I found it does not work good with basic unity objects, dont just create a cube in unity, use objects from another program that are a bit more complex. Convex mesh collider only. Dont put it on a parent object, put it on the thing with the mesh.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  25. GaryDoo

GaryDoo

Hi, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here but I'm not getting the nice effect that everyone else is!!! I'm doing a 3d logo imported from blender, I wanted a sphere hit it from behind and fracture it...it just looks like it got steam rolled and then all fractures gather together and bounce around the plane..i'm using unity 4, anyone with any ideas?

26. Velo222

Velo222

Hmm tried the script, and I can get the object to break.......which is cool :) However, a big drawback was that my game fps dipped down to 17 fps with a noticeable long pause in the game flow. I am using Unity 4 as well.

Not sure if it can be optimized (besides lowering some settings) in order to get manageable fps rates when breaking?

27. unityuser94

unityuser94

Using it on lower poly mesh's really helps keep the fps from dropping, as I have discovered.

28. Brendo-Vdm

Brendo-Vdm

how to call the break ?

29. jalain

jalain

Hi there, I have tried your script and loving it, but I will like to use your script for exploding barrels or destroy crate. I was unable to find a solution to how can I have your script works when I click on the crates or the barrels and to have it explode in pieces from the center. I have tried to apply a rigidbody force when mouse down but it only moving the box in the x, y, z axis. I am a beginner with javascript so help will be cool. So I will like when I click on my object apply a force from the center of the object for a exploding barrel or to have the crate broke and collapse. For now, I want to try only with the mouse click, later the goal is to have my barrel or crate broke when player hit it with a weapon.

Thank you!

30. kakuridoji

kakuridoji

plz gimme the gun script i've been looking for one for ages

31. Yguinhoxp

Yguinhoxp

youtube tutorial please...

32. Zortor

Zortor

If anyone interested, I made a simple conversion in C# of the script, I'll clean it and share it as soon it is ready

33. Zortor

Zortor

34. elbeau

elbeau

I can't see anything in this thread or in the downloads that specifies a license. Can this be used and/or modified royalty-free in a commercial product?

35. Marde

Marde

About the C# Script:
    Thank you for the translation Zortor!
    First I had problems to find the missing setup because the objects did not fracture. I had to define the grain (in the inspector or script) so the script worked fine. I hope this information can help some people. I hope I can improve the performance in the next days, although this fracture algorithm is not the best available.

36. JJDeveloper

JJDeveloper

Where can I get this script? I see no working link...

37. MrJohny

MrJohny

blind guy detected