Search Unity

Feedback Simple Fishing (design document) Is this game simple enough? Could it be improved?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by LootHunter, Jan 11, 2022.

1. LootHunter

LootHunter

Hi. I'm going through the "Create with Code" course (my skills are above that but I just want to brush up on basics) and here is the design document I've made according to the task.
    Simple Fishing (design document)
    So, what do you think is this simple enough? I'm asking because I do indeed have a problem with coming up with simple game ideas, I always get carried away with complex mechanics or a story.

And, of course, any suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

2. Red-Owl-Games

Red-Owl-Games

I think this is great, go for it! Especially if you struggle with keeping it simple, I think this is a nice "contract" with yourself. You might want to be a bit more specific about "objects" or "and other stuff", maybe make a list or at least define the amount of different things you want to have at each milestone.

I do miss something about what it will be like for the player to play the game. (The game experience) In a simple game such as this, it's probably mostly about a single skill that the player should use. In this case, timing. You can write a bit about how it will feel when the player is really in the flow of the game, as a guideline for any further decisions you might need to make.

Apart from that, it might be nice to think a bit about the main technical systems you will need to make. (e.g. collision detection, spawning and despawning objects, tracking and displaying lives) This is especially great if you have some experience already, as you will be able to better predict what you will need and how long it will take. Write down the order in which you want to tackle each system. This way, there's always a clear next thing to work on.

Also, it might be nice to do a rough sketch. Even if you're not good at drawing, doing this will help you make some decisions about where you want different elements to be.

Good luck with the game! :)

LootHunter likes this.
  3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

seems like a good plan to me too, and actually sounds like an interesting game.

LootHunter likes this.