Search Unity

Simple fade image effect vs fading using ui panel performance

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by mahdiii, Nov 20, 2017.

1. mahdiii

mahdiii

hi all .I would like to implement a faded screen (go to black screen gradually)
    I can write a simple image effect. Also I can use animation or scripting to implement a faded screen using one panel.
    Which way is better regarding performance.Thx

2. Johannski

Johannski

The ui panel will have better performance. If you don't have a canvas, you could also just add a quad in front of the camera, that might be even better performancewise.

mahdiii likes this.
  3. vetasoft

vetasoft

4. mahdiii

mahdiii

:)) awesome. Is it an image effect?

5. vetasoft

vetasoft

yes, it's added on the Camera game object

6. mahdiii

mahdiii

my game platform is android and I think image effects are expensive and time consuming for mobile devices totally

7. vetasoft

vetasoft

The effect is really simple and fast and doesn't require a fast android CPU, We use it in our productions.

Post Processing are expensive for effect such as blur etc

mahdiii likes this.
  8. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

It's a common misconception because everyone tries to run complex PC-grade post processing effects on mobiles and they are not suited for that. It is absolutely possible to add post processing to a mobile game without compromising performance. People added post processing steps even on platforms like PS2 which were much less powerful than modern mobile devices

As @vetasoft said, color grading and fading done as a last-step image effect is way superior to using UI fullscreen texture because it will even save some fillrate. Try adding a few fullscreen UI overlays and building it on mobile - it will slow down the rendering to a halt due to enormous fillrate
    I say that because we've also done some research and experiments and we actually have this color grading step in the Sleek Render post processing stack too and we also use it in our production :)

mahdiii likes this.
  9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Be aware that image effects do not affect UI using Screenspace-Overlay mode.

10. mahdiii

mahdiii

Yes that's right
    If I convert all canvases to Screenspace-camera, they are more expensive than before? (based on rendering)

11. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

No, in terms of performance it's absolutely the same as in Screen Space - Overlay. They just get rendered a bit earlier (in the Transparent pass of the camera)