Search Unity

Simple character controller that moves and rotates with HMD

Discussion in 'VR' started by darkesco, Dec 7, 2018.

1. darkesco

darkesco

Been searching for over a year for a VR character controller that works. Many games support this feature where you can walk around your physical area, and then rotate perfectly (Y rotation is centered at your feet instead of being centered on the OVRCharacterController 3 feet away). With Ovrcharactercontroller, the elliptical, wide rotation, not only amplifies motion sickness, but also looks silly. I have a very simple game that needs rotation, movement, and one button. This game is impossible to make using roomscale tracking because of the rotation errors. Oculus started that it was a known bug with no ETA for a long time, then they said they will not fix it as Oculus utilities is a demonstration and not intended as a solution for a final product. Right now my Rift game is basically in GearVR (non tracking) mode in order to have accurate rotation. This of course means the user cannot duck, or look closely at anything. Anyone have a working solution, suggestion, or anything?

2. TenFiddy

TenFiddy

I would like to try and be helpful. Can you explain the movement you are looking for a little more / give some images or screenshots. Thanks

3. darkesco

darkesco

https://forum.unity.com/threads/correct-camera-rotation-oculus-rift.453204/

Rotations only rotate the character controller. The head moves while the character control is stuck in the center of the play space. Any rotations become offset rotations creating nauseating, orbital rotations. Issue is fine in GearVR, but any tracked/Rift games fails to do a simple ritation if the player hasn't glued their feet to the center if their room.