Search Unity

Simple character coloring script

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Lednar, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Lednar

Lednar

I just started experimenting with TMPro and I want to color a single character in text. I know the method like in markup languages (We are <color=green>green</color> with envy). But I am looking something as simple as this example, unfortunately this colors the whole text:

Code (CSharp):
    1. void Awake()
    2.     {
    3.         TextMeshPro textmeshPro = GetComponent<TextMeshPro>();
    4.         textmeshPro.color = new Color32(255, 128, 0, 255);
    5.     }  
    I am hoping to do it outside Update() function. Any help or tips?

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The color of individual characters is controlled via the vertex color of the individual / geometry of each character.

When using the <color=#FF8000> rich text tag, this sets the vertex color of that character to the appropriate color.

The color of individual characters can also be modified via code. Take a look at Example 23 - Animating Vertex Attributes (included in the TMP Examples & Extras) and related scripts.

3. Lednar

Lednar

Thank you, they are really relevant hints. After playing with mentioned Example 23, a question raised for me. Can the vertex color be changes only in Update() or in coroutine cycle? Without Update() or coroutine yielding I was not able to change single character vertices color. If not then I should stop trying to do it that way.

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

In that example, the color and position of the characters are being changed each frame so in such case it makes sense to use something like update or a coroutine. However, these vertex attributes can be changed in some function or on the press of a button or whatever.