Search Unity

Simple Animation without Animator, maybe via script.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by zh4r0naX, Jan 25, 2020.

1. zh4r0naX

zh4r0naX

Hi,

while ive read your current free ebook ( which handles the improvement of ingame performance ) I came to a point where it says, developers tend to use animators extensively. Well why wouldnt they no where is another option shown for simple animations. At least i didnt see one.

So my question, for simple effects, which consist out of 1 animation file, how to get rid of the animator and the whole overhead ? I just want to update the sprite, maybe adjust some other variables like light size etc. and send an event at the end of the animation.

How can i do this via script and without too much overhead ? The most performant way ? Do i need to use legacy animations then ?

Thank you for your time.
    Justin

2. CptKen

CptKen

You need to use the playable graph API for this kind of thing. Don't bother with legacy, it's called legacy for a reason.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  3. Baste

Baste

The "legacy" Animation component is by far the fastest way to play back animations in Unity. For playing a single clip, it very easily beats the Playables API. I've checked. It's also the easiest way to play back animations, so I'd recommend you to use it @zh4r0naX

Playables uses an Animator, but without an Animator controller. It's faster than the Animator+AnimatorController for doin anything, and you can build pretty good tools around it. You need to write a lot of boilerplate to play a single clip, but it's easy enough to put that behind a tool.

kodra_dev, hommfan and NikoBay like this.
  4. zh4r0naX

zh4r0naX

Thank you for your suggestions, for more complex things i would stick to the animator. but for simple hitting effects etc i would love to get rid of the animator.

@Baste do you have any link for me where i can read into this with some sort of tutorial which you would recommend ?

5. Baste

Baste

The Animation component is really simple. Just stick an Animation component on something, assign the clip, and call Play() (or use Play On Awake).

6. zh4r0naX

zh4r0naX

Great. Thank you!

7. StellarStellar

StellarStellar

How do I edit an Animation clip if I want to use Playables? The animation editor require me to have a controller to edit a clip. Do I have to create an unused controller for me to use the animation editor? Or there is a way for me to edit a clip directly?

8. Baste

Baste

Kinda. A component can implement the IAnimationClipSource interface, and then you can see the clips you return there in the Animation window.

9. StellarStellar

StellarStellar

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public AnimationClip clip;
    2.     public void GetAnimationClips(List<AnimationClip> results)
    3.     {
    4.         results.Add(clip);
    5.     }
    It worked, thank you!