Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Simple animation not so simple: trying to create a rolling object

Discussion in 'Animation' started by eajones, Mar 19, 2015.

1. eajones

eajones

I had made animations of rolling, bouncing (moving up & down) and a few other things in 3DSMax, and saved the models as FBS models. I can see the animations in Unity. However, I can't seem to get the model to rotate correctly to make the animation work normally. For example, the attached doughnut: the only thing I can get it to do is rotate around its standing axis, like a spinning quarter, instead of a rolling ball. I can see the animation as it lies there. No matter how I try rotating either the model or the entire prefab, I can't get it to work.

1.) is there a simple animation asset in Unity that I can use (?Mecanim? does it do such simple things as rotate (roll) and move up & down repeatedly (bounce)? If so, how to do? please direct to where to learn
    2.)If not, is there a simple way to take a non-animated model (fbx) and then create an animation to attach to the prefab in unity?

I am attaching the simple model--hopefully will have its animation attached. Help please!

Attached Files:

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey eajones - sounds like you either need to parent the doughnut to an empty game object and key the empty game object in Unity for movement. Use a script to move the doughnut, or skin the doughnut to 1 bone in Max and export it as you did before.
    Since it's such a simple animation I'd probably do the first, and use a simple state machine to switch between the animation states.