Search Unity

Question Simple 3D model alot of Tris/Verts?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by cruising, May 22, 2023.

1. cruising

cruising

02.jpg 02.jpg 01.jpg Hello!

I noticed something yesterday with a one piece vehicle 3D model i got has 1841 Points and 1953 Polygons.
    That model alone (static) in a new fresh scene with 1 light and 1 camera (Defered) generates 6.7k Tris and 19.9K Verts. Is that really normal? SetPass calls ar at 23 and Shadow casters 15.

Just 1 cube in the same scene has 1.7K Tris and 5.1k Verts.
    I dont know if this sounds just fine with you guys? i mean, with just 5 of that vehicle 3D model makes 100k verts and would make a problem i want to make some sort of traffic or have many players in a scene.

Regards.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Well no, not for gamedev, generally-speaking. Where did you get the car? If someone was going for ultra-realistic when they modeled it and perhaps used a photogrammetry type of setup to create it, or if they used nurbs or bezier splines to get nice curved surfaces, well, the sky is the limit as far as how many verts it might be.

Pull it up in Blender, see what's going on. If it has good topo, try a decimate modifier and see how low you can crank it before it deforms.

If it has bad topo, well, either retopo it yourself or toss it out, or suffer with ten bazillion verts.

This fellow (Grant Abbitt) has a full toot for making a lowpoly car:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn3ukorJv4vtkqLZLtxVDgM3BSCukFF7Y

Imphenzia is another fellow with great car stuff.

3. cruising

cruising

I forgot to post the images on the model, its a very simple model as you can see on the top. I dont know if it is Unity or something with the model that makes so much Verts with a simple model?
    The model is bought in Unity Asset Store.

4. kdgalla

kdgalla

Does the model have multiple submeshes?

Shadows can increase the number of vertices rendered. Do you have more than one shadow-casting light in your scene?

Last edited: May 23, 2023