Search Unity

Simple 2d sprite animation system - best to make myself or buy finished?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by monkeybrother, Apr 30, 2013.

1. monkeybrother

monkeybrother

I'm making a 2.5D game and have everything set up except for the sprite animation thing. What I need is to make animations from image sequences or sprite atlases and the ability to play/control the animations using scripting. There are several packages on the asset store that looks good, but they're all overly complicated for my purposes.

So; is it worth getting a finished product (Sprite Manager looks simple) or is it better to make the whole thing myself?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

2dtoolkit is very simple, and also extendable if you know what you are doing, i have done it myself many times.

making a sprite system yourself is a harsh task but like all it depends on your exact needs

3. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

If you don't need too much tools and especially something specific and you have capabilities to write your-self, just do it.

4. monkeybrother

monkeybrother

Yes, I might do that, but it's always good to get feedback from people that have already been there.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Simple and extendable sounds good.

5. meta87

meta87

Seconding 2d toolkit, worth every penny. Great performance and has some features (a special camera for one) that would be hard to do yourself

6. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

I use SpriteManger2 and have for over a year now and love it. Never used 2D toolkit so can't offer a comparison.