Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SILVIA Conversational AI Platform

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CogCode, Sep 23, 2010.

1. CogCode

CogCode

Hello all,

My company has developed an AI system called SILVIA that has some state-of-the-art conversational capabilities, as well as a rich set of tools for developing SILVIA brains for deployment within various applications.

http://cognitivecode.com

We have recently licensed our technology to a company that will be using our Unity version of SILVIA for their applications, and at least one other licensee of ours is interested in expanding their license to include a Unity version.

In the process of "packaging up" this Unity version for deployment to our licensees, we are now much closer to finishing up a "commercial" version of SILVIA for Unity developers.

This post/thread is intended as an initial stab at getting feedback from the Unity developer community, and to gauge overall interest in our system as an enhancement to Unity.

Thanks for your time.

2. appels

appels

no link ?

3. Manishtushu

Manishtushu

To really judge how interested we would be in this, you'd need to give us at least an overview of what the system will do, especially relating to game development. If it's a general conversational AI like some of the ones on the web then I can only see limited uses, but maybe there are specific features I can't foresee.

4. CogCode

CogCode

The OP now has the link to http://cognitivecode.com

5. txmikester

txmikester

Sounds expensive.

6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Alright.... you manage to smooth out the voice and there might be no way to realize you're talking to AI!!

I'd love to speak with it, sounds freaking amazing. You know what'd be great, to somehow use that AI to make game characters interact with the player, that'd be revolutionary. I mean, in games conversations are pre-generated, but with this ai type both computer and player speech would vary according the context and would never be the same, right?
    The only thing is that the voice is still choppy as computer generated voice always have been since I have memory. Does this AI take too much cpu to work?

7. KITT

KITT

We are very interested to leverage this tech with current projects in the pipeline. (Virtual training)

Please keep us updated on the status of this remarkable addition to the Unity toolset!

8. CogCode

CogCode

Currently, yes.

However, part of our idea behind commercializing the Unity version of our SILVIA technology is to make it more affordable for wider range developers.

We can't commit to any particular price point until we do more market research, this thread being part of that process.

9. CogCode

CogCode

Gaming is an important market for us, and talking in-game NPCs are an obvious fit for our technology. ;)

Regarding performance, the SILVIA Core runtime is VERY lightweight, both in memory usage (as little as 1MB per Core) and in terms of processor load.

We have virtually instantaneous response times from our AI, even on ARM-based mobile devices such as the iPhone. In the context of Unity or other 3D engines, having one or more SILVIA Cores running in the background has no appreciable effect on game performance.

10. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

That's very impressive! (and exciting) If you ask me, this is not only great for human-ai interaction, but for ai-ai interaction as well, imagine the posibilities :D
    Can't wait to see what people do with this.

11. longshot

longshot

It sounds interesting, but I also would need more information.

Vimeo is blocked here in China, and the fora.tv presentation streams too slowly to be of any use.

It would be helpful if there was some text to read through, and if support for Unity is being added, why not have an AI available through a Unity web player?

12. pete

pete

Very interested! Have you decided on licensing - ie per app vs single purchase? I saw the SDK is cross platform. Is the IDE Win only? Can you give us more info on how SILVIA works with Unity? A video of that certainly would be of interest. Cheers and congrats!

13. CogCode

CogCode

Hi Pete,

For the commercialized Unity-specific version of SILVIA, we haven't yet decided on the runtime distribution licensing model. However, for the IDE/SDK, we're looking at a per-user one-time purchase.

Our most likely scenario is, you could build as many products as you like with the SDK, but you would have to pay Cognitive Code a licensing fee per unit of your product sold. Whether this license is a flat fee per runtime (adjusted based on platform), or based on a percentage of your product price has yet to be determined.

I know that having runtime licensing isn't quite as clean as a pure one-time or per-product purchase, but our goal is to offer most, if not all of our feature set to Unity developers, without devaluing our larger B2B customers' existing licenses.

Re. integration and platforms:

Our SILVIA Studio IDE runs on both PC and Mac, and our runtime library, the SILVIA Core for Unity, runs on PC, Mac, the web player, and iPhone/iPad.

At a high level, how it works:

SILVIA Studio is used to create/edit/test SILVIA brains, which are composed of simple and complex behaviors and linguistic/conceptual data. At any time, you can export these brain files as a Unity-specific package to your working Unity project folder.

Runtime integration of SILVIA with the Unity IDE is very easy, via Unity script access to the SILVIA API, and we have full-featured examples that will help developers quickly get up and running with attaching conversational AI to Unity game objects, including characters.

When the time comes, and we're closer to a "SILVIA for Unity" product launch, we will make available the documentation and video demos for that product.

Cheers

14. loadexfa

loadexfa

I think it looks amazing and am very interested in using this for RPG games.

15. pete

pete

Thanks for the answers CC. Sounds as slick as it looks. My 2c on licensing: there's nothing wrong with a runtime model. A flat fee being affordable for smaller devs, like myself, will depend on the final price point. So, I can't say whether that vs percentage is more attractive. Just some feedback. Looking forward to what happens with it.

16. CogCode

CogCode

I can make the following limited comments:

1) Our current B2B software price is a significant multiple of Unity's price, although we sometimes absorb some or all of those costs if a customer or partner contracts a significant amount of custom development work from us.

2) We believe that an attractive base price for "SILVIA for Unity" should be significantly less than the cost of Unity itself. When I say "base price", let me clarify by saying that we are considering a two-tier "indie" and "pro" model, similar to Unity's.

Before you ask, I'm NOT saying SILVIA for Unity "indie" would necessarily be free. Just inexpensive enough to make it a no-brainer if you really need conversational AI in your game.

17. loadexfa

loadexfa

That sounds very reasonable considering the current pricing of add-ons and prefabs for Unity. I imagine the research and development involved in creating your software was/is significantly higher than most if not all Unity add-ons/prefabs so that general price range would give you a high quality to price ratio.

18. pete

pete

Sounds really great. I certainly wasn't expecting free :) The projects I have in mind would require 3rd party investment to bring to market. Paying out a 5-6 figure flat fee to prototype in order to secure funding would be tough to swallow for my size shop. In that case, percentage of sales would work better. That's really what I was getting at. Anyway, it was just some feedback since you were looking for it. I'll be watching. Thanks!

19. zergmouse

zergmouse

Just to add to the feedback. I think this is great and has a lot of potential in my realm which currently is Training and Collaboration in a virtual world. making a more dynamic world that responds to your speech input would have huge benefits. However the ROI (Return on Investment) for adding a system like this to a virtual world for a large (50,000+ employees) company like the one I work for would be hard to justify.

In other words if I spend lets say 100,000 USD a year on virtual worlds and can recover that cost each year via the virtual world (saving on travel expenses for online virtual training is one example) Then by adding this speech system I am not adding to how much I can recover year over year. I am simply making the system more user friendly. That doesn't significantly change how many people will use it, it simply changes HOW they use it. (Training is mandated so more people wont train just because this system is in place) SO if this system has a significant cost that will create a huge barrier for adoption. Why would I spend 20x (just a guess) more than I spent on the engine for a simple add on that may or may not increase my potential ROI. That is just a significant risk I think.

An alternative might be very significantly reduced cost for prototyping licenses where someone like myself can make a prototype with little or no investment using your system and send it through the project management to get buy in from the project leaders and above. This would reduce the risk on our end and if all goes well it would allow you to sell more licenses and it would give me a more robust training environment.

Just my 2c.

20. CogCode

CogCode

Thanks for the feedback. In essence, I believe your questions/points are covered in my previous post.

But I would like to add that we do currently offer lower cost prototyping licenses for R&D within an organization.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  21. pete

pete

@CC... I *think* zerocow I kind of said the same thing. And I believe that your post agreed with what we said (happily!) . So, my post was for feedback/confirmation. ZC's I'd guess the same but obviously, I can only speak for me.

{edit: you, me ZC pretty much said the same thing from different perspectives. Bottom line: cheap enough to be able to prove ROI is good. To market, more is fair. Sounds great to me :) ]

22. zergmouse

zergmouse

I agree, I just wanted to reconfirm in my own words that there are more of us out there thinking the same thing.

An example is that I am using Unity Pro now to prove some major value to my clients and if all goes well this year my company may purchase source next year or the year after to create a more integrated solution. We are mostly interested in bringing CAD and GIS data in through the art pipeline directly instead of through other programs and converting it. But by proving value first for a very reduced cost we can validate the need for buying the source code of Unity and expanding our development.

23. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

My question is:

Silvia can help me out programming an game in unity?

Silvia learn java script or other language?

Sorry for the questions:)

24. CogCode

CogCode

We have thought about a "programming assistant" application for SILVIA, but it would most likely be limited to automating tedious processes and providing a conversational interface to the IDE. But if someone creates an AI system that can do my actual programming for me, I would love to hear about it. ;)

Currently, the most likely application for SILVIA in gaming is as a rich platform for truly conversational non-player characters.

25. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I'm still not sure how someone would be "rigging" SILVIA functionality into a game character. So far it seems to me you input text and she somehow processes that and stores the raw info, and knows what to do with it. Can it be a part of SILVIA AI to receive not only text, but also info of 3d elements in space around the supposed 'character' ? Would SILVIA know what to do with that info? Would it be possible to have several SILVIA AI systems simultaneously in-game, and maybe talking and passing info to each other? Or maybe it'd be too much of a hit to the CPU? I'm thinking on sandbox worlds with characters that use SILVIA AI to figure out what they have to do.
    I'm obviously not sure how SILVIA really works, Am I missing the point too much?

26. CogCode

CogCode

Hi dogzerx,

Basically, think of the SILVIA Core as a "host" for a conversational AI, with the behaviors and content being defined by one or more SILVIA brain files.

So under one scenario, you can use Unity scripting to easily "attach" a SILVIA Core (with SILVIA brain data) to a Unity object in the world. In this sample case, it might be 3D NPC character. This character would have one or more routines that would "know" when to begin invoking conversational interactions with the player. For instance, in the simplest scenario, player proximity might trigger the NPC to turn toward the player and "start up" SILVIA interactions with the user.

Now, these user interactions can be via text only, or we also have a voice interface module that leverages 3rd party speech recognition and TTS systems in a way that we have customized for humans interacting with an AI.

But communication with Unity is bi-directional. Via callbacks and other methods, SILVIA can act on changing states within a Unity game, but can also directly change those states in the game. So instead of a script that monitors player proximity to the NPC, you could let SILVIA do that directly and prompt herself to talk when the player gets within range.

Users talk to SILVIA, SILVIA talks to users, but SILVIA also listens and talks to your Unity game as well. This is what makes SILVIA truly useful in the gaming context because your conversational interactions and their results can have direct effects on the game states.

Here is a very simple example use-case: Imagine a "Riddle of the Sphinx" type puzzle, where in order to pass on to a new area in a game, you have to interact with a "gatekeeper" NPC conversationally, and correctly answer one or more questions or solve problems verbally before you are allow onward in your quest. This is very easy to implement with our system.

And you can absolutely have multiple SILVIA's active at the same time within a game, even different characters exchanging information with one another, without a significant performance hit.

27. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

That's simply outstanding... hope this does comes out for unity

I think most people may be skeptical about such an AI. Seeing is believing, if it works as you say it does, then the response should be overwhelming.

28. ippdev

ippdev

Please release an implementation for Unity. This is amazing stuff. So, basically I could make a wiki document/s of the whole game world, its characters, locations and artifacts and Sylvia brains can extract and present this info based on user interaction with the game world or the game worlds interaction with a Sylvia brain? Could you also use it to for example train a brain to run a rig and train it in a martial arts style? Or is this strictly conversational?

Where can I read more?..Not press releases but talking about the tech and its features etc. You should have a link on your site to a specs page or similar.

29. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

At first, I thought Silvia AI was more a logic-integration solution for a game or 3d engine.

Because the game without logic, programming, it's nothing.
    logic applies to everything there is a game.

I am sorry that Unity3D not have Visual scripting blocks, pathfinding and waypoints.

I'm not there a big fan of programming scripts.
    Scripts and behind many mistakes behind mistakes. I noticed that part of 3d engines, applies in Visual scripting blocks, simple and not confusing.

For example, we want to put a square pivot 360 degrees, simply add a function block "ROTATE", Object> (Function "ROTATE")> Back to object <. This will add "Loop."
    As 3DVIA Studio. Simple is not it?

Silvia also be useful, perhaps for teaching programming in several arias. Take a step forward, helping with questions, show examples etc ...

30. CogCode

CogCode

This natural skepticism is a hurdle that we've had to deal with for some time. ;) For the longest time, "AI" has had a bad rap, a lot of it due to the fallout from overly grandiose claims from researchers and developers.

So in that regard, I want to be very clear that we aren't claiming to have anything like a self-aware AI system.

However, we DO have some unique, practical language and cognitive algorithms, integrated as part of our full-featured platform for development and deployment. The end result, of course, is a more truly conversational system that goes far beyond any existing "chatbot" technologies, and one that you can actually use in your applications. ;)

31. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Yeah, but I've seen your videos and the AI does look VERY impressive... enough to make us want to see more! (and to learn more about how it works)
    I think maybe there's not enough people visiting your site and checking out the videos :-0 Or maybe they are but they're just deciding to wait until there's more updates?

32. KITT

KITT

I have already started planning my in game helper system, which will in essence be the Silvia brain functioning in the background but always on hand to trigger events, feed info between user game rule-book etc
    My applications are chiefly training and simulation but I think using Silvia as a voice activation system (commands) at the lower end of the scale right through to full character interaction will add a layer of polish and a depth of interaction that is without comparison.

33. Ullukai

Ullukai

i could use this for my games or game ..i saw some of the videos on that site and it is a nice piece of work .. i have never really thought about using ai for conversation though....only ai for an opponent in a game..but the videos are showing there is intelligence there ..it actually stays on topic and does not go on about some different topic as ive seen other ai conversation bots..very interesting indeed is where your convo would lead with silvia i bet .... but it all boils down to prices ... and i believe the price would be too high for me unless if it was less than $50 since im not rich

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  34. ippdev

ippdev

Hello CC. I had sent you an email looking for licensing terms for Sylvia a few days back Still no reply. We are very interested in this tech and wish to license or purchase it as we can put it to use immediately and continually. I have the cheque writer interested. Please don't let the enthusiasm from him wane:) This thread needed bumping anyways as this is outstanding tech for game devs and it was drifting father away from the front page.

Thx
    BTH

35. CogCode

CogCode

I apologize for any perceived delays. Your query, dated Thursday, was forwarded to me yesterday afternoon from the person who manages our "info" account. I will respond personally to your email sometime today. ;)

36. ippdev

ippdev

Thank you sir

Best
    BTH

37. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

Well I have to say I truly thank you for making us aware of your SILVIA platform!

I will say that I caught myself smiling in the 1st video of your conversation with the software - which to me says a lot about how well the software impressed me - I really envy you having created such a system - an accomplishment I'd imagine all programmers would like to achieve in some form or fashion!

I really feel you're at the point of bringing all the "computers" of SciFi here today with this platform - I really wish you success in all your endeavors!

Unity Pro currently costs $1500, I could see myself spending equal and perhaps then some for this platform especially if it can smoothly conversate as shown in the videos, and the setup and programming of the system isn't too quirky or "way out there" in relation to everything else.

I especially liked the interfacing with the host computer; having SILVIA opening and closing documents, and performing conversation generated tasks - I can envision an amazing future with this platform all the way with it being in automobiles etc.

I definitely look forward to whatever you can offer the Unity community, and will be waiting to see how I can show my support though any kind of purchases that brings value to my Unity based applications.

-Will

PS - Being an electronics engineer (in a past life some 20+ years ago), I can't help but wish SILVIA was available in some form of chipset or processor module.

I've purchased $2000 realtime video capture cards, $400+ NVIDIA graphics cards, there are PhysX cards you can buy to accelerate game physics, I see no reason why SILVIA can't also be purchased as an expansion card dedicated to giving computer systems >powerful natural language communication< capabilities in a similar fashion!

I feel it would be a wonderful product in that form as well!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  38. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@WillBellJr

Heck yeah. Great idea about having a chip take care of the ai! Imagine massive amounts of AI interacting between themselves and the player as fluently as it did in the example video.
    I'm thinking games like fallout 3, oblivion, sims 3, etc, with very intelligent AI characters to interact with. I'd love to see that happening!

39. spiralgear

spiralgear

If I am understanding correctly, you are saying that in this video:

http://vimeo.com/4234591

The responses from the computer were not scripted?

40. ippdev

ippdev

They were not scripted. We are getting this amazing technology for our uses here. You could basically create a wikipedia of your world and the Sylvia engine would be able to parse questions about it and give in context answers. It "thinks" in the background. You can create basic personality templates and have the context react within those parameters. It can store context, move on to something else then return to that original context without direct reference. Amazing stuff.

HTH
    BTH

41. CogCode

CogCode

This is correct. The conversation is free-form, although admittedly with a smaller demo brain such as this, it is known in advance what sort of topics SILVIA is "comfortable" discussing. Also, in that early prototype, we didn't yet have support for SILVIA interfacing with the internet to dynamically grab information.

In most applications, including that demo, SILVIA'S output is generated using some patent-pending algorithms that take conceptual data and dynamically create human language output.

In simpler terms, SILVIA can express the same ideas in many different ways WITHOUT developers having to pre-program all of the possible outputs. This feature is one of many that help to give a great deal of variety to SILVIA interactions.

42. spiralgear

spiralgear

No offense but I have a very hard time believing that.

I'll eat my words if I have to, but I say somethings not right here.

43. CogCode

CogCode

Given our system's capabilities, a certain amount of skepticism is to be expected. :)

The stories I could tell you about the due-diligence processes with some of our licensees and partners ... ;)

44. jwaugh

jwaugh

We are heavily involved in using SILVIA and Unity right now. We are developing a demo of SILVIA and Unity whereby we have an avatar that will be an "expert" on a certain subject. The user will be able to talk to the avatar using voice recognition and have the avatar respond in an informative and intelligent way. The demo will showcase SILVIA's capabilities and Unity's aesthetic values.

We have run into a couple of snags, so far, with exchanging data with SILVIA and Unity. Nothing that can't be overcome, though. Maybe I should outline the problem here and see if the community has some suggestions to resolve them.

Jerry
    Northrop Grumman

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  45. ippdev

ippdev

Fire away. I have had a look at the API and know Unity quite well and come from a 3D rigging TD and R&D background. Be interested in what the snags are. I am awaiting a possible purchase of a license for SYLVIA here.

You also may want to have a look at http://www.annosoft.com for their lip sync tools. Combined with SYLVIA and their Unity plugin you have full I/O capabilities for tying phonemes, visemes and timing together with the SYLVIA output.

Best
    BTH

46. jwaugh

jwaugh

I have a couple of statements from our programmers:

<jeff>

I'm having an issue with integrating Unity and the SAPI functionality within windows. I have created some sample code that initializes the voice recognition system and loads a grammar list. This works when loaded with a WinForm but when I load it from unity with a c# script, unity closes with a generic error. A little more detail, the dll that I have created to interface with SAPI seems to be crashing at the point where it sets the call back function for the speech recognition event. The Specific line of code is:

SpeechLib.SpSharedRecoContext m_RecoContext = new SpeechLib.SpSharedRecoContext();
    m_RecoContext.Recognition += new _ISpeechRecoContextEvents_RecognitionEventHandler(Reco_Event);

</jeff>

<jason>

I am spending time currently converting wav file to ogg files so I can load that file in Unity3d at runtime. Since our files are being created dynamically at runtime the only way I could find to load a file was by using their WWW scripting class. I am dealing with some other issues as well, but they are really not Unity related.

</jason>

I think Jason's issue is that Unity only allows streaming for .ogg. Therefore he's having to convert the .wav files generated into .ogg files, then stream those. It seems messy...

(we may want to move our conversations to a programming thread)

moved to:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/62903-Using-Unity-3-and-SILVIA-in-practice

Jerry
    Northrop Grumman

47. Unified

Unified

I'm afraid you're gonna come across a lot of cynicism with what you've shown in the demo, as what you've shown is possible with a very basic chatbot and SAPI. All freely available on the web.

There's been chatbots available for quite some time that don't need to be preprogrammed for all possible outputs. You simply feed them with lots of statements and facts and the chatbot then repeats whichever fact is the most relevant to the users' question or comment.

Why so few games studios have bothered to create a game around this kind of technology I don't know. But from what you've shown in the demo isn't going to change the situation as there's nothing new there at all.

48. ippdev

ippdev

Perhaps you can point one out??

Best
    BTH

49. CogCode

CogCode

You are describing a brute-force approach, where every possible output must be pre-loaded into the system.

Our platform is capable of creating new output dynamically, far beyond simply pasting sentences together.

However, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. :)

50. Unified

Unified