Search Unity

Silly New Years 2015-2016 Jam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tedthebug, Dec 16, 2015.

1. tedthebug

tedthebug

When you do a web player build it is web browser agnostic, it just doesn't work in chrome & other anal retentive browsers. You can do a web player build & then in your folder right click on the html file & open with a browser that isn't chrome so you can test if it works. When you go to upload it, at least on gamejolt, when you select unity web player, you choose your build folder & it shows the .unity file & you just upload that.

Edit: gamejolt have a 2gb file limit

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This is for fun. Your game is meant to be half broken. Just hit the build button and see what happens.

3. tedthebug

tedthebug

True, if you are new & manage to get a working 3gb game done in 7 days you mustn't have slept :D

The idea is to just have fun, not make a serious game, & be a bit silly. What weird idea have you had that you've never done because you were to embarrassed? That's the one we want to see.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    AndrewGrayGames and Kiwasi like this.
  4. iamthwee

iamthwee

I'm still screwed, no IE and resource intensive game. Chrome is normally my go to web-browser then firefox :D

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Still not sure what you can build in seven days that will break the Internet.

But that aside, being a browser game is not a requirement for the competition. A binary will work if that's the only format your game will build for.

So stop making excuses and go build a game!

6. tedthebug

tedthebug

Also, you don't define what web browser you build for, you just say build a web player version & then it is up to whatever browser the player is using.

There, you've been told :), now get cracking. You are now 'officially' entered & the whole internet is watching :eek:

Kiwasi likes this.
  7. iamthwee

iamthwee

You're right, maybe I should go with a text game its probably within my coding capabilities at the moment to be on the safe side haha ;)

You're right I should try a webgl build and see, but it is kind of a red flag in that only IE works reliably on unity player, I've got chrome firefox and safari.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  8. tedthebug

tedthebug

I test my web player builds, & play unity web player games on game jolt, using Firefox with no problems

9. iamthwee

iamthwee

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  10. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I've wanted to say this for a long time...

GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD! A Chicken!
    Chicken!!!.png

...That is all.

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Yup. At the moment you just get a deprecated warning for webplayer. It's in the process of dying, and has been for a year or so. It's still the most stable build target for browsers from Unity.

WebGL is currently buggy. It takes a lot of effort to get things right. And it has some heavy limitations.

12. tedthebug

tedthebug

Master-Frog likes this.
  13. Martin_H

Martin_H

The webplayer plugin works fine in my windows firefox. If a linux plugin is available just try it out.

14. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

One of the things I am looking forward to doing over my Christmas and New Year Breaks is to play around with Unity 5 for 3d game dev. So I might just do an entry using cubes or something. All depends on if I end up working on my Christmas game instead. Only so much time! Always that way isn't it? My girl claimed a chunk of it already and can't blame her. Actually I think I can work the retro game playing in since she loves those about as much as I do and that way I can cover both in one time slot. lol

Aiursrage2k and tedthebug like this.
  15. iamthwee

iamthwee

Well i learned something new today, the assign button to mesh in edit mode thanks! oh and nice chicken! Do we have an old goose or old turkey?/

16. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

But what does it DO?

17. tedthebug

tedthebug

not yet, but there's no limit to how many we have

18. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Who cares!? It's chicken!*

*: It's one form of the player character.

Master-Frog likes this.
  19. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

So it crosses roads. I believe there is a popular mobile game based on this theme. ;)

20. tedthebug

tedthebug

Bonus character skin gift box if you get run over by Santa & his sleigh

21. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Grandma got run over by a reindeer
    Walkin' home from our house, Christmas Eve...
    Some people say they don't believe in Santa!
    But as for me and Grandpa, we believe.

*: This is actually not a case of Asvarduil-Insanity, these are actual lyrics to an actual song.

Back on topic, I'm actually amazed at how easy the new Animation setup that Unity included a long time ago is. I've actually got an animation for Phoenix the Chicken set up, and it took way less effort than I was expecting it would. I've also got some of the UI to my game functioning, so all I need to do now is make enemies that cause you to lose, and implement the form mechanic...and I'll have a rough prototype of my little game.

Aiursrage2k and Master-Frog like this.
  22. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Zombie survival game then? Even so I'm still not sure what you can craft out of a chicken skin...

tedthebug likes this.
  23. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

+5 Leather Armor of the Whale.

Aiursrage2k and tedthebug like this.
  24. tedthebug

tedthebug

I've just spent 6hrs downloading the latest version of unity to fix the 2d collider issues & 15mins testing it with what I had done. I still can't get 2 objects with colliders to work unless both have rigid body2d or the one object with a rigid body is also the one with the collider set to isTrigger.
    I'm getting ready to brave a board game night at the local games store to see if I can get feedback on a paper prototype (I'm more nervous than when we presented our end of year major work for our assessment) so actual work done on this jam today is 0.

25. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That's a great chicken @Asvarduil :)

26. Martin_H

Martin_H

Do you have a recommendation for a blender to unity animation tutorial?

27. neginfinity

neginfinity

Just animate normally, import into unity, preferably as fbx. If you're using multiple actions via action editor, each action will become separate animation track.

There's nothing really unity-specific.

Martin_H likes this.
  28. iamthwee

iamthwee

More chickens please. I gave up on this webgl thing, 96mb export, and tried to install java? I think I'll make a text game!

29. Martin_H

Martin_H

What always confuses me are the different axis settings between blender and unity. When I export non animated objects without bones as FBX there is an option in the importer that "fixes" the rotation mismatches. It's called "!EXPERIMENTAL! Apply Transform" and the mouseover says it is broken with animations/armature. That's what I use for all the non-animated assets.
    When I import .blend directly into unity (I think it exports as fbx as well, just hidden and automatic) I get models that once I drag them into the scene face the right direction, but their rotation is not 0/0/0 as I thought it should be. Is there even a way to fix that for animated models?
    This is the preset I saved for exporting animations (didn't get around to test it extensively yet). Can you please tell me if any settings should be different? Thanks for your help!

30. neginfinity

neginfinity

Default export should work fine. If it doesn't, switch to ASCII mode and tick "apply transform (experimental)". IIRC you'll need that if you're importing file with proper root motion. It is also recommended to export selected objects only, so you won't get junk like cameras in your imported files.

31. Martin_H

Martin_H

Thanks, I'll try that!

32. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Can you save categories for the judging process? This allows the judges flexibility, so you can just make up awards, to spread some love. So, say you get 15 entrees, and you want to award 1 the 'best', and then have 4 'silly' awards, you can just wait to see what you get, and make them up. This is commonly done at GameJam's, to allow more participants to have fun. Plus, the awards are silly, part of the fun, and unexpected (our brains appreciate unexpected rewards a lot).

Gigi

tedthebug and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  33. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Got this error -
    Gigi

34. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Ugh. The WebGL seems to be broken on every computer except mine. There is a webplayer link further down the thread.

Gigiwoo and Aiursrage2k like this.
  35. tedthebug

tedthebug

What I will do is update the op saying "+ the possibility of other surprise categories" & that way anyone that wants to can announce a prize/category when they want for what they want. As you say, it's a fun, silly jam so I'm happy to keep it casual.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  36. iamthwee

iamthwee

How would you go about creating a text game adventure.

Such as:

Enter your name>

What would you like to do?
    1.Walk to the old castle
    2.Stay standing stll
    3.Walk to the ....

And do you need your own website to host your game in unity player?

Gigiwoo likes this.
  37. tedthebug

tedthebug

Look at something like twine (http://twinery.org) if you want. It does let you also add scripts for the equivalence of dice rolls in those old make your own adventure books.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  38. iamthwee

iamthwee

Thanks but I would like to do it in unity if possible, so I learn a bit more about coding, any links?

39. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Start with checking out the tutorials in the learn section on UI. Especially the ones on Text, Button and the modal window one. That will give you your interface.

Underneath the hood the game you have described is simply a graph traversal problem. Each page is a node. Each choice an edge.

40. iamthwee

iamthwee

Is it a linked list or something, or can I store the choices in an array.

41. TonyLi

TonyLi

You could start with UnityTwine. It's open source. It'll give you a playable framework that you can hook your own code into.

Gigiwoo and Kiwasi like this.
  42. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Definitely check out any existing frameworks. No point reinventing wheels (unless you are porting from 4.x to 5.x ;))

Off the top of my head I would build a node class. That would contain some text and a List<Edge> with all the possible choices. Each Edge would have a destination Node.

Once you've made an attempt the guys in the scripting forum can help out with soecific details that give you trouble. (Just don't mention finishing it in a week. That's likely to get you a ban.)

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  43. tedthebug

tedthebug

OP updated with categories I had missed in this thread.

44. Arowx

Arowx

So far I've got an intro screen within spinning stuff!

I've had to rename the game due to not googling the name I thought would be good and finding a game I used to play in the 80's!

Gigiwoo and GarBenjamin like this.
  45. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

What was the name?

46. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

You know the drill. If he tells ya, he'll have to kill ya.
    Gigi

47. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I thought just changing the name was the largest lift with that package? o_O

Works on mine - Win8.1 running Firefox.

Martin_H and Kiwasi like this.
  48. iamthwee

iamthwee

49. Arowx

Arowx

Still working on it and nothing to say as I only have an intro scene with spinning things but it does have a nice UI that scales with screen size. Not bad for a couple of days work so far, once I have a playable game I think I will release it as an alpha for feedback then improve and 'complete it'.

How long have we got left?

50. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k