Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Silhouette highlighting is not a good thing for everybody... or where are my triangles?

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by georgeq, Nov 10, 2016.

1. georgeq

georgeq

One of the first things you notice when you start working with Unity 5.5 is that when you select an object in the hierarchy, the silhouette of the object is highlighted in orange on the Scene View... that looks cool, but is that really useful???.. I guess that depends on what you're doing, when you work with predefined assets it doesn't matter how Unity highlights the object, as you don't need to know how the mesh is made up... however when you are creating procedural content,you do need to see the triangles in order to confirm your algorithm is working properly. In Unity 5.3 and previous, the triangles of the mesh were highlighted when the object was selected, so errors in procedural meshes were quite obvious and thus easier to debug, silhouette highlighting doesn't give you quality feedback, which makes the debugging of procedural meshes harder.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I noticed the same thing and filed a bug-report that wireframe-selection doesn't seem to work in 5.5.0b11 anymore:
    Case 850058

3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    the wireframe selection highlight is disabled by default in 5.5. You have to enable it in the gizmo / annotation window.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Peter77 likes this.
  4. georgeq

georgeq

Oh man.... that's great!!!... I was looking for that in "Preferences" and felt frustrated when I couldn't find it. Thank you!!! you saved the day!

Maybe it deserves to be mentioned in the documentation

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Glad to be of help. It is mentioned in the release notes, but not in the manual as far as I know. I'll look into that.

"Editor: New selection highlighting in scene view.
    Instead of showing a wireframe a selection outline is now shown. This outline color can be configured in the preferences of Unity. In the gizmo / annotation window you can select if you would like this behavour, the old behaviour, or both."

6. georgeq

georgeq

Thank you!!!... is good to know.