Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. We are updating our Terms of Service for all Unity subscription plans, effective October 13, 2022, to create a more streamlined, user-friendly set of terms. Please review them here: unity.com/legal/terms-of-service.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Significant performance loss when upgrading to 2022.2.0b1

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by johanolofsson, Jul 20, 2022.

1. johanolofsson

johanolofsson

We just upgraded our 2D project from 2022.1.6f1.

We now experience a drop in FPS between 25-50% on different computers.

We still have the old project/editor left and running the builds right after each other.

On average task manager shows about:

2022.2: 60% CPU, 60% GPU
    2022.1: 20% CPU, 60% GPU

profiling shows that our script code takes about the same time each frame (4ms) in both cases.

Unity rendering code however has increased from about 2.5-3 ms to 5-6 ms, and also has some memory allocation.

Inl_UniversalRenderTotal is about 35% and has 0.6kb alloc.

Any ideas why this is the case?

2. PutridEx

PutridEx

Worth sending a bug report with reproducible project/scene if possible, especially in beta before it releases. Higher chances of it being looked at & fixed

DevDunk likes this.
  3. johanolofsson

johanolofsson

Turns out to be very easy to reproduce, just make a build of the template for Universal Render Pipeline (i.e. the small construction scene)

2022.2: 10-15% CPU and leaks about 200kB/s (will eventually reach GBs and never gets collected)
    2022.1: 3-5% CPU no leaks.

From what I can tell this is not managed memory. I did a deep profile and it all points to being native memory.

It also seems that 2022.2 is much more eager to employ more cores. Usually one core gets maxed out and the others say relatively calm. (Not using many jobs) But as of 2022.2 most cores show high load.

Unity team, please look into this asap!

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

When you don't submit a proper bug-report, Unity Technologies will most certainly not look into it.
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

alexanderameye, hippocoder and Jes28 like this.
  5. johanolofsson

johanolofsson

I have submitted a bug report.

DevDunk, Peter77 and hippocoder like this.
  6. johanolofsson

johanolofsson

Peter77 likes this.
unityunity