Search Unity

Significant performance drop between 4.2 and 4.3

Discussion in 'Android' started by shawnomatic, Dec 3, 2013.

1. shawnomatic

shawnomatic

Hi,

I'm currently working on a simple game that uses one scene split up into multiple small prefab "scenes" which get activated and de-activated at runtime depending on the game situation. I did this to try to keep loading times to a minimum and figured it would be fine since my game is very simple in terms of the number of assets and the complexity of interactions.

To make a long story short, in 4.2 this was working great, but since the update to 4.3 my framerate has dropped significantly, making the game unplayable. To make matters more confusing, this seems to only happen on some devices (specifically in this case on my Samsung Galaxy S4). I've also been testing it on my 1st gen Nexus 7 which does not have this framerate drop.

I managed to get the framerate back up by setting the player to half-sized textures, but no other settings seem to affect it.

Has anyone else seen anything similar to this?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Fixed in 4.31!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. Tiles

Tiles

Version 4.31 should fix this issue. Do you have 4.3 or 4.31 installed?

3. shawnomatic

shawnomatic

Tiles,
    I just tried updating to 4.31 and it does seem to work now. I had checked the release notes for any sign of something that may be related to the issue but I didn't notice anything obvious so I decided to try to debug it on 4.3 before potentially introducing more unknowns.
    Thanks for the heads up!

4. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

Unity say that it is up to date (and it show version 4.3.0 f4 :|). It didn´t advice me the new version in this time (in other releases it did it).

5. stiltskin

stiltskin

The Unity updater is quite broken. It often thinks that it's up to date when it's not. Your best bet is to stay close to the community (to read about it in a post) or check the website once in a while.