Search Unity

'+' sign in a string

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by herbie, Feb 22, 2017.

1. herbie

herbie

Hi everybody,

I am busy with the Highscores tutorial with dreamlo on youtube:
    I have a little problem with displaying the username in the highscorelist.
    The usename is a string but when my username consist of two words separated by a space (first name and last name), a '+' sign is placed beween the two words when it is displayed in the scoreboard.

I think it's in this code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. IEnumerator UploadNewHighscore(string username, int score) {
    2.         WWW www = new WWW(webURL + privateCode + "/add/" + WWW.EscapeURL(username) + "/" + score);
    3.         yield return www;
    5.         if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(www.error)) {
    6.             print ("Upload Successful");
    7.             DownloadHighscores();
    8.         }
    9.         else {
    10.             print ("Error uploading: " + www.error);
    11.         }
    12. }
    Does anybody knows where this '+' sign is coming from and how I can replace it by a space?

2. Brathnann

Brathnann

I think it's because you're using it with escapeURL. Certain chars get changed when you use that to make them URL compatible. I bet if you debugged it it might show a + (maybe, this is a guess)

If you are displaying it local, just use the string.replace call to replace + with a space.

Code (CSharp):
    1. String userName = "My+Name";
    2. userName= userName.Replace('+', ' ');
    Code should do it, but didn't test it, note it's a reference point since you'll have to replace the value depending on where your username comes from.

Unity also provides an unEscapeUrl that may just reverse the name https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/WWW.UnEscapeURL.html

3. StarManta

StarManta

It's from escaping the URL. Since spaces aren't used in URL's, + is one of two standards for escaping it (the other being %20). And you do, absolutely, need to escape the url before you submit it - otherwise you'll be leaving your game open to both bugs and security flaws if players start using weird characters in their names.

What you need to do is to un-escape the returned text before you display it on the scoreboard.

4. herbie

herbie

Ok, I understand now.
    Thanks for reply.