Search Unity

Sigh.. Still can't really get models into Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by cgoran, Aug 27, 2005.

1. cgoran

cgoran

I cannot get models from lightwave into Unity, sigh. FBX export no worky and it cannot parse the 3ds files lightwave exports. Still hoping to get a game made.

2. Richard_B

Richard_B

3. coreav

coreav

What machine are you on PC or Mac??
    Also the issue with FBX may be a version problem - try downloading Alias' FBX converter on their site - it will let you convert the version format of most FBX files. I use it for working with motionbuilder and C4D.

Good luck

4. cgoran

cgoran

Thanks guys. FBX models come in, but they are kind of sketchy and with no uv data. The 3ds files just won't parse. :-(

5. Richard_B

Richard_B

Are you sure the objects are connecting with their texture files? The texture files have to be kept in exactly the right place (see the manual) else you have to manually reconnect them.

Richard.

6. coreav

coreav

I think Richard is right. Import an FBX and then import your texture (** important to make sure it is proper size texture - 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024). If your texture imported correctly, you will see a small icon next to it in the asset browser - if it didn't you will see an error message below the viewport. When you have successfully brought both a model and tex in, simply drag the model to your test map an then drag the texture onto the model.

I was really impressed when I discovered that Unity even handled multiple UV maps on a single model - makes asset creation 100X more efficient :).

7. cgoran

cgoran

hmmm. yeah, when I try and apply the maps, they are not respecting the uvs.

8. Richard_B

Richard_B

The fbx exporter for LightWave seems to have a bug in that it will only export one uv map per object - could that be the problem?

Richard.

9. Richard_B

Richard_B

Hi Coreav,
    Could you please elaborate on the above. Was the multimapping happening in Maya and/or LightWave? Also, did you have vertices in the same model sharing a uv map or were the different maps on different vertices (but in the same object).

thanks,
    Richard.

10. coreav

coreav

Hey R_B,

I was using some older 3ds assets I had laying around to test the engine, but the idea is the same. Multiple UV maps in Maya (or c4d or whatever) will show up in Unity as long as your textures obey the "power of 2" standards.

Here is an example...

Attached Files:

11. robertseadog

robertseadog

Nice textures!

12. coreav

coreav

Yes - but alas not mine :).