Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Shuriken Particle System emitters behave differently in play mode to scene view

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by JamesSen_DS, Mar 16, 2016.

1. JamesSen_DS

JamesSen_DS

I've just upgraded from 5.3.3p3 to 5.4b10 to resolve the issue with PhysX physics.processing spikes causing huge frame drops in our simulators. In the process of upgrading I've notice some of our particle systems using cone shaped emitters no longer function correctly in play mode and are now producing multiple streams of particles from the emitter instead of emitting in the preset cone shape.

The emitter looks correct in scene view:
    upload_2016-3-16_13-32-4.png

but when switching into playmode i'm seeing the following:
    upload_2016-3-16_13-33-55.png

and here's the settings:
    upload_2016-3-16_13-37-26.png

Am I missing something which needs re-configuring with 5.4?

J

Attached Files:

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I don't think we are already aware of that issue.
    If you could log a bug with a small repro project I will look at it promptly!

There shouldn't be anything special you need to do after upgrading, this sounds like a bug on our side.

Thanks,
    Richard

3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Also, one thing to check: Does unticking Enable Interior Collisions fix it?

4. JamesSen_DS

JamesSen_DS

Unticking Enable Interior Collisions does not fix it however, In an attempt to produce a repro project it seems to work correctly.

I went back to my original project and turned off the attached scripts and changed the particle system to play on awake and it is now working correctly. So the issue seems to be in 1 of our scripts after upgrading.

I'll update with further info once I've found the problem

5. JamesSen_DS

JamesSen_DS

Solved:

Emitter.Play() was being called by our script every Update(), it seems it now restarts the particle system from the beginning with each new call to Play() whereas it didn't before.