Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shuriken Magic [EFFECT PACK]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalamona, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Blackghost

Blackghost

Hey Kalamona, Excellent Pack!!! Definitely worth the money. I just had a few suggestions that i think would be cool:

1: Telekinetic Blasts
    2: Sonic Blasts
    3: Magnetic Blasts
    4: Electric Bolts
    5:Dark Energy Blasts

I think those would be cool to see. Thanks again for your skill set!

2. artzfx

artzfx

Excellent quality effects and the web player works perfectly in my Chrome browser :).

3. kalamona

kalamona

Hey,
    Thanks for the ideas. I will make some new effects in the near future. I was busy until recently, but it seems I will have some more time to this pack.
    Glad to hear that the webplayer works, there were some issues with it.

cheers
    Kalamona

4. AdamWaters

AdamWaters

Hey Kalamona,

I was just wondering if you found the time to work on those new effects and if so what do you have in store for us?

5. kalamona

kalamona

Sorry, got distracted by some Alien Dogs :)

About the new effects, I have one for sure, I want to do an additional wind effect that is not this brownish tornado thing, but a quicker, sharper one. Also an effect that shows a Point of Interest in MMO-s (shiny sparky stuff). There is one in currently, but that doesn't look really good.

I was also thinking about a bone prison type effect, like in diablo, but not too sure about that.

6. kalamona

kalamona

Hey,
    4 new effects (when you start the webplayer demo, you can click, and press the down button so you see the new effects first).
    - Web cocoon (for all kinds of entrapment)
    - Grass Growth (it was easy to do :) )
    - Wind Strike (quicker, sharper, than the brown tornado, also uses a special shader)
    - Shield break (similar to weapon break, but more shiny and sparky)

I also included a bigger 'Point of Interest' effect, but I didn't demo it, since it is not that different from the original, small one.

So, 60 unique effects (and some variations, and some obsolete effects). This was my goal when I began selling this pack, so while I might update this pack casually, I won't add a lot more effects anymore. Thanks for the great ideas and encouragement!

cheers
    Kalamona

7. AngryOrange

AngryOrange

Hi I want to buy this pack , but I have to know if I can change a colour of this effects . I'am making black and white, iOS game.
    What about scale ?

Edit: I ok I know it's no problem... Sorry :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  8. kalamona

kalamona

Hey,
    If you have any concerns, there is a free demo with 3 effects..

Scaling the particles is a bit tricky, because simple scale values don't affect them, so you have to tweak its values separately. I think there is a tool in the asset store that automates this, but I never tried it actually.

Recoloring is a bit simpler, I usually use black&white textures that get colored runtime using the particles' "color over lifetime" feature. You can simply modify these color values to be grays instead. But that is not _always_ the case. If the texture itself is colored too, then you have to desaturate it in photoshop (or GIMP, etc.).

These are not terribly difficult steps, but require some knowledge, and can be a bit tendious. Though if you are not statisfied with the pack, you can always ask for a refund in the Asset Store.

9. AngryOrange

AngryOrange

Hey thanks I think it's gonna work just perfect for me.... I will try this 3 effects right now :)

10. jmatthews

jmatthews

I intend on buying this package this evening. I am curious if you could detail what steps you took to learn how to produce effects at this high level. If you could point me in a direction, even if it were in a broad fashion I'd appreciate. I've been researching particle effects, and game effects for a week or so now and i'm running dry of a good resource to try and learn.

11. SuperSquawk

SuperSquawk

Hi Kalamona! I purchased this pack, it looks great! I've got a question though. I'm trying to modify the ForceFieldBase effect so I can turn it on and have it stay on until I'm ready to turn it off with script. It looks like this effect is much more complicated than just a shuriken paticle system... it has script and even at least one Unity animation in it (which I've never used before). How can I modify this effect to play and loop until I'm ready to turn it off, at which time it should fade out like it normally does? Thanks!

12. kalamona

kalamona

Hi,
    thanks for purchasing the pack!
    you can change the strength of the forcefield by editing its materials' "_AllPower" parameter.

There is already a script on it, which does that to make it appear then disappear (SM_TransRimShaderInOut or something similar), simply remove that script, and set it manually from an other script.

the key command in that script: "renderer.material.SetFloat( "_AllPower", curStr );".

The animation on the sphere probably does nothing, maybe rotates it, not sure, but it doesn't affect the strength of the shader.

I hope I was able to help!

Also if you want quicker help, don't hesitate to send an email to kalamona01@gmail.com, I check it regularly, while a post in this topic might avoid me.

cheers
    Kalamona

13. kalamona

kalamona

Hello,
    Sorry, I missed this one...

Well, there isn't that much of a trick. I practiced a lot. I work in game development for 10 years, and my co-workers helped a lot at the beginning. Observing games' effects helps a lot too. I think at least half of these effects were inspired by WoW and League of Legends.

The biggest rookie mistake that they think that one effect equals one particle system. This is almost never true. For example an explosion, I would use the following elements:
    - A large, single "flash" particle, that is a soft additive light, and disappears after a while
    - A few "flame" particles, that appear then disappear quickly
    - a few "smoke" particles, that appear slowly, stay for a while, then disappear slowly
    - a lot of small "spark" type particles, which are very small, move very fast, and disappear quickly

Then I could add something like shockwaves, rays of light, small particles of something solid, etc.

I think there are a lot of particle effect tutorials, in google. The trick is, they don't have to be "unity effects", since you can replicate them in unity pretty well.

I hope I was able to help somewhat.

cheers
    Kalamona

14. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

small bug but nothing bad, the web cocoon prefab is missing the timed destruction script, so each click = 1 additional object in scene.

15. kalamona

kalamona

Hello,
    Thanks for spotting this one. That was the last effect I did, and perhaps it wasn't tested very well.

cheers,
    Kalamona

16. tnaseem

tnaseem

Just a heads up...

The Webplayer link on your asset store page still has the 'https://' url, so still getting the 'Install Unity Player' in Chrome. You might want to update that link too.

The effects look great though! Will be dipping my toe in and buying them soon enough for my game :)

Cheers,
    Tarique.

17. ersaurabh101

ersaurabh101

1. WIll these effect work in android / ios /flash player ??

2. Are these effects optimized for mobiles ??

18. kalamona

kalamona

Hi,
    In mobiles, the overdraw seems to be much more important than on PC. So that means, effects that are very close to the camera seem to slow down the mobiles very much. On the other hand, effects that are reasonably far away don't have performance problems.

The effects don't use a huge number of particles, and most of the textures use mobile shaders. Not all, though, but I dare to say, you should have no trouble playing this effects on mobile. I don't know about flash, I never experimented with it. Anyways, if you purchase the effects and then you decide that they are useless to you, you can always ask for a refund.

One thing to mention though. I use the "Instantiate" and "Destroy" commands in Unity, Since I am not a programmer, and these are easy to use. But if performance is critical, some kind of pooling system, that just activates and deactivates the effects instead of creating and deleting them might be more effective.

best regards,
    Kalamona

19. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

unrelated but i noticed in your sig you're also the maker of the RPG icon pack, are you planning other packs? those icons rock i'd love even more variety, if you push the same quality i'd definately buy 5 more packs like this

20. kalamona

kalamona

Hi,
    I am more of the seller of the icons, the actual creators are other artists :) I paid them to get the icons done, and I purchased the right to sell them here.

The problem is, I am not really sure what more icons would be needed. Just like these, but more variety? Sci-fi icons? More stylized ones? Etc.

21. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Just like these but more, 100 is a lot but i'd like even more

22. ersaurabh101

ersaurabh101

remove the s from https, it will work :)

23. PeterGodek2

PeterGodek2

Large Blood Effect does not look as good as in the webplayer when running the demo scene or in my game. What could i be doing wrong. Have redownloaded Version 1.4 and reimported but did not help. Any ideas? I have unity 4 pro

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  24. kalamona

kalamona

Hi, thanks for reporting, I will have a look an it tonight.

25. kalamona

kalamona

After a bit of bughunting, it seems that some particles lose their over-time alpha color information when converting to 4.0 from 3.5. They look okay in 3.5. Effects affected by this are BloodEffect, LargeBloodEffect, and WebCocoon-

Now the problem is that if I fix them in 4.0 and then upload it to the asset store, then only people with unity 4.0 will be able to purchase it. I know quite a few people who don't want to upgrade to 4.0.

In your case, just write me an email to kalamona01@gmail.com and I will send you the 4.0 version fixed blood effects. Or if you prefer to do it yourself, you can edit the setting in LargeBloodEffect/BloodEffect1Flash, and change the "color over lifetime" parameter so that in the beginning it is opaque, and in the end it becomes totally transparent. Also change the other two particle systems under this in a similar way. The BloodMist is made so that in the beginning it is fully transparent, then it quickly becomes half-opaque, then slowly goes transparent again.

Sorry for this, I don't know why this data doesn't get correctly to unity 4.0.

26. Krileon

Krileon

You can add the 4.0 fixed effects into a new unitypackage then include it inside of next release. You then won't have to redistribute to individuals using 4.0. 2 birds with 1 stone. :)

27. DevionGames

DevionGames

Great work! I sended you a pm with a question.

28. Disastercake

Disastercake

I would like to use these particle effects, but do the projectiles move on their own? If the projectiles actually move on their own rather than by script then it makes them unusable.

Also, the webplayer demo on the asset store doesn't work for some reason, but the one in this thread does.

29. kalamona

kalamona

They are moved by a simple "move" script, if you remove that, they won't move.

(Also Soul Saga looks fun :) )

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  30. Disastercake

Disastercake

Thank you! Hopefully you will get to see your effects in the game. =)

31. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

I personally am looking for sci-fi ones.

32. Mankus007

Mankus007

The Price is too High, Yes it is :)

I was thinking this, but after looking the web player demo, 61 particles in 35$, that is amazing and than I just was thinking that WOW it is really cheap. :D
    Thanks for the Share and the pack is really nice. :D

Thanks in advanced. :)
    Bye bye take care. :)

33. ducanhtuvu

ducanhtuvu

helllo there, i have bought this effect,
    it zip file when unzip it i have folder shuriken
    but can not play on unity 3.5.7f6
    all material of this missing also scipt on scene missing too... i hope i will have the file .unitypackage of this......

if you have some way to do please tell me.....

34. kalamona

kalamona

Hello,
    A zip file?? This sounds strange. You purchased it from the unity asset store, right? After you purchased it, there is a button that allows you to import it, similarly to any unity package. There should be no zip files involved. Also it should work under 3.5x.

Here is a picture to explain it.

If you have further problems or information, for example you purchased it from someone else and not from the Asset Store, then contact me please on the following email:
    kalamona01@gmail.com

If you purchased it from the asset store, but you still have problems downloading it, then contact me too, including your invoice number.

Thank you very much:
    Kalamona

35. mutazalhawash

mutazalhawash

very interesting effects , great job :D

36. Rampa

Rampa

Hi,

Your pack looks very interesting. Does it work on iOS Android?
    Beside your custom shader, I beleive everything else should work on mobile. Did you test it on such device?

Best regards

37. kalamona

kalamona

Hi,
    Personally I didn't, but quite some of my buyers used them on such devices. An interesting thing to mention that on iOS (and I believe on android too) the screen fill rate is much more of an issue than the number of particles. So a heavy effect with a lot of alpha mapped particles very close to the camera can cause slowdowns, while an effect far away doesn't, despite having the same number of particles, etc.

best regards,
    Gergely

38. Darkmoon

Darkmoon

Web player doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have a video of these in action?

39. kalamona

kalamona

40. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Sent you a PM Kalamona.

41. CodeMonke234

CodeMonke234

Just bought the package - love the effects!

Question, I am haviong problems trying to control the length of the effect.

eg. I change the DestroyTime on a ZombieGrab effect, but it still only lasts 5 seconds.

What is the correct way to control the length of the effects?

Thanks again for your work

42. kalamona

kalamona

The zombieGrab basically is made from 2 components:
    - a couple of particle effects
    - a script that generates the zombie arms.

Editing the length of the particles can be done by changing their duration, one of the topmost parameters.

The script responsible for creating the zombie arms is on the root of the effect (SM_prefabGenerator). Here you can change the "over this time" and "this many times" parameters, to set how many zombie arms should be over how much time (for example you want to have 30 zombie arms over 10 seconds).

EDIT: in the groundDark particle, you also have to set the life of the particle (start lifetime) to a higher value, so the eerie cracked ground effect stays there for longer.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  43. DevoMage

DevoMage

I will be buying both of your effect packs.

Are you taking requests for new effects? Your storms are awesome - I'm looking for projectile spell effects and wall spell effects.

44. kalamona

kalamona

Hey,
    I am glad you like them :)
    About new effects: it depends on a lot of things. How many effects, what style, how is the payment done, etc. You can reach me at kalamona01@gmail.com.

Best regards,
    Kalamona

45. shwa

shwa

Can an effect be turned on, and have it remain on permanently?

46. kalamona

kalamona

Hi,
    Yes, each effect (i think) has a script on it, called "destroyThis" or something. Remove this script, and the effect will stay.

If you mean to increase its duration, the duration must be set for each particle system in the effect, it is one of the topmost parameters.

best regards,
    Kalamona

47. Ves

Ves

Hey Kalamona,

Amazing work -- well done! I was wondering if there is any way to scale the effects effectively? I'm working with a project where I'd like the effects about 16 times bigger, but simply setting the scale of the object makes it act strange. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks again for the great package.

48. kalamona

kalamona

49. kalamona

kalamona

I updated the package, added a new effect ("darkness worm"), and fixed some minor bugs that can happen when you convert shuriken particle systems from 3.5 to 4.x.

50. Jaimi

Jaimi

I've tried downloading the update many times today from the asset store. Every time I get a package that is 4.4mb in size, and gives an error when it tries to decompress: "Error while importing package: Couldn't decompress package". Has anyone else been able to get the update OK?