Search Unity

Showing that an item is interactable/can be picked up

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Korno, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Korno

Korno

Hey everyone,

I`m developing a point and click RPG (similar to neverwinter nights) and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to indicate that an object in the world can be used/picked up?

I have been considering:

• Changing the mouse pointer, but this is a mobile game so there is no mouse pointer.
    • Having a outline around the object, sometimes can be missed as the color mixes in with the world color too much.
    • Having the object shaded in a color, kinda removes the object from the world and makes it stand out almost too much (good as the user can see it but doesnt look part of the world anymore)
    Any ideas?

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  2. Ambro

Ambro

Telltale uses a white circle in front of the object that expands with possible actions when hovered.

rakkarage likes this.
  3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I've seen animation used to good effect for this. A little glow or sparkle that appears periodically over any interactive object, drawing your attention to it and saying "tap me!"

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hover may be problematic if this is a mobile (touch) game, although I suppose the player could drag a finger over the screen to see what lights up.

I like @JoeStrout 's suggestion - a temporary outline or shading, perhaps only as the player character passes near the item. You could make the effect more or less intense based on the item's importance.

If you want to get more subtle, what about having the player character turn its head to look at the item? This keeps everything within the game world, rather than imposing an immersion-breaking UI effect on it. If you have Unity Pro, you can just set the look weight in OnAnimatorIK(). If not, you can use something like Final IK, or write your own IK adjustment in LateUpdate(). You could even scale the weight based on the item's importance. The player character might only glance briefly at a minor item but turn its whole body and gawk at a more important item.

Korno and JoeStrout like this.
  5. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

6. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

If they don't click anything for a while, make stuff glow slightly that can be clicked. You're not completely ruining your visuals, and you're only showing it to someone who needs it.

7. Juice-Tin

Juice-Tin

Sparkles always do the trick. Your object won't stand out like a sore thumb but will still be seen.

8. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Or,..................
    Make a hopping green or red glowing arrow, hover over objects, that can be picked up.
    Alot of games do that.
    Then when you pick up the object, the arrow disappears! :D

Korno likes this.
  9. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Is this best? Clearly, it works. And, yet, discovering the objectives is sometimes what makes a game fun. It's varies from game to game and is something I've not fully grokked.

Gigi

PS - Somehow, the spell checker knows that Grokked should have two k's.

10. DryTear

DryTear

Or you could have some sort of outline. Catches my attention :)

Gigiwoo likes this.
  11. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

12. DryTear

DryTear

If this wasnt a thread for outlining intractable objects, i would think thats some sort of sci fi teleporter or a mine.

BrandyStarbrite and Gigiwoo like this.
  13. TonyLi

TonyLi

Some good alternatives to outlining were suggested in this thread. If you decide to go with outlining, however, I recommend Highlight Glow System. It's flexible, does a good job highlighting complex objects, and is easy to set up.

14. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

What tower of guns did was made the items much brighter then other things (enemies background).

Attached Files:

• tow.png
      tow.png
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  15. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

I like the Resident Evil 4 one. :D

16. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Gigiwoo likes this.
  17. Atmey

Atmey

I prefer they keep it subtle, when you find something on the ground, you really did find it, it wasn't flashing on 50% of the screen the whole time. in 3d games some sort of brighter/unlit shader, in 2D a very subtle highlight, an aura valid only for items that will expire soon, or require immediate attention.

DryTear likes this.
  18. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

You can put an audiosource on the object and use 3D audio of a person screaming. That should lead your players right to it :)

19. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Heavy Bullets - each bullet will actually bounce around, play a 3d sound effect until you pick it up which works well in a first person game.

20. Lime_x

Lime_x

One example of where these two have worked quite well is in 'Deus Ex Human Revolution':

Sure the objects stand out a bit more, but I think in the context of the game's lore and aesthetics, it fits in quite well.

21. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

hmm... maybe when you hover over an item, it moves a little, like, to look apart from the background, like a brick of a brickwall slides forward an inch.. ?? .. or the object suddenly gets a shadow

instead of a sparkle (which i think is lame) .. maybe its more specular of a material?? ..

or, there was some cartoony material for free on the asset store, that just puts a super slight white .. shading to objects
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3926 2nd pic, with 4 girls... "toony gooch rimlight" .. hmm i dont think it made my texture cartoony.. it just added the rimlight..
    see how its much more subtle than an absolute outline

i thought that in deus exHR was really crappy, and was part of what turned me totally off about that game.
    ... to me it made the game world feel cheap.. like, "these are the only objects you can interact with, everything else is worthless" .. that yellow outline is waaay too jarring.. and you can see it from across the room, it shouldve been only when you are near if anything

also, with borderlands the green/red light on containers, to me felt really lame, but, at least it felt okay in THAT game world, because that game world was really goofy styled, but deus ex is supposed to be entirely serious toned

i guess its really good for a point and click game .. but for an immersive action rpg, its REALLY CRAPPY!!
    i dunno, i tend to hate how "casual gamer" alot of games are becoming..

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014