Search Unity

Feedback Showing packages on older versions of Unity

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by joshcamas, Jul 31, 2019.

1. joshcamas

joshcamas

Hello!

One thing I noticed is that the Animation package didn't show up when I was using 2019.1, but when I switched to 2019.2 it appeared. I'm assuming that means this package is only available for 2019.2, which makes perfect sense. However it would still be helpful if these packages appeared in the list in the Package Manager, but appeared greyed out or something. This would allow us to see what we're missing in newer versions of Unity! Often new packages appear without much fanfare, so being able to see them there would be amazing :)

Also, I'm guessing certain versions of packages are also hooked to a certain version of Unity, so having those appear in the dropdown but greyed out would also be helpful :)

In short, it's really helpful to be able to see all information, instead of having it entirely hidden depending on what version of Unity we're using. Totally cool if we can't install a package, as long as we know.

Thanks!

2. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @joshcamas,

Thanks for the feedback! I've reported it to the appropriate team. Have a good day!

JakHussain and joshcamas like this.
  3. JakHussain

JakHussain

In addition to greying out the package, also having a spot which specifies the minimum package version would be even more helpful.

joshcamas likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Do that and the forums will be flooded by people asking why half the package manager content is greyed out...

JakHussain likes this.
  5. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hehe thanks for keeping an eye out so we don't step in pitfalls ;) On a more serious note though, I think this is still a realistic idea, for instance if we showed these is optional, and clearly labeled, not simply greyed out. Clear communication is key!

In any case, as mentioned earlier, the idea has been forwarded to the appropriate team. Thanks for your insight everyone!

6. JakHussain

JakHussain

I think the best of both worlds would be to have an additional filter. They're hidden by default and like how you can toggle showing preview packages, you can toggle showing packages for later versions of unity. The default stays clean but users can opt in to see more. Bang. Problem solved.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

That sounds definitely better. ;)