Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion Showing microtransaction purchases on public leaderboard

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by crandellbr, Feb 7, 2023.

1. crandellbr

crandellbr

I changed my Steam game to free-to-play recently, with a repeatable microtransaction that gives powerups. (Related thread here.) The intention was a Patreon-style feel where supporters can contribute whatever they feel is appropriate while getting perks in return. YouTubers typically list patrons by tier, so I figured another perk should be public recognition on an in-game leaderboard.

I'm worried now that this is too public, especially since it shows the exact value of microtransactions purchased. Assuming this model would even pass approval on iOS and Android, I'm wondering if it will ultimately discourage support. Would you want your level of financial support for a game to be listed in this manner?

2. DiamondEater

DiamondEater

It is an interesting idea... Some thoughts:

1.) Is it just posting their username? If so that's not terribly private perhaps an option is given to have their user shown or not, else it comes up as "Anon" or the game could generate a filler name and tell only that user that they are listed on the recognition board as "Bobson Dugnut" or something.

2.) You could keep the order of who's donated more but not post the exact amounts. This could incentivize the other users to try and guess how much more to spend to 'beat' them.

Overall a really neat idea, even if it may need some working to get approval from the play stores..

crandellbr likes this.
  3. crandellbr

crandellbr

Those are some great points. I've spent extra time polishing based on feedback, and I may be delayed further by moving states. There's definitely time to consider what you've said and implement appropriate changes.

DiamondEater likes this.