Search Unity

Showing 3D objects inside a (stereoscopic) panorama

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by coeing, Mar 6, 2017.

1. coeing

coeing

Hey there!

I'm currently checking out the possibility to place 3D models inside a 360 panorama. This way we could have our foreground objects be 3D while all the background is just a skybox or panorama sphere.

The problem I came across is that the positioning is off between the 3D objects and the panorama. It looks like the panorama is moving behind the 3D objects even when they should be at the same depth.

The Pano shows how the panorama looks like, PanoAnd3D shows the panorama and the 3D objects. Both pictures are taken from the editor where the positioning matches pretty good.

Pano.jpg PanoAnd3D.jpg

But as soon as I use it in the Gear VR, the objects and pano only matches when looking in a specific way at it. First I thought it might be the center of the screen where they match, but it's not exactly the center.

Screenshot_20170306-182951.png

If you check out the right eye, in the center of the image it looks quite similar to the image rendered in the editor, but the more it gets to the sides, the higher the offset between the panorama and the 3D objects.

Hope a fellow dev can give me a hint about what I am missing here :) Some kind of distortion that's done for 3D, but not for a skybox/panorama?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. cuong303

cuong303

I suspect it's because the panorama was rendered with stereoscopic effect, which explains the shift. Perhaps you can try rendering the panorama in mono?