Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Show me yours and I'll show you mine

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Ony, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Ony

Ony

I'm really happy to see a dedicated audio section here in the forum. Thanks Unity!

I thought it might be cool to see where all the audio people do their thing, so here's a picture of my little spot. This is where I do my electronic work. Guitars, drums, and piano are in the living room. This picture is a little older and I've moved to a standing desk, but it's still pretty much the same. The thread asking about different audio programs reminded me I had this image, and you can see good old FL Studio there on the monitor.

So what's your setup like? Share a picture or just a description if you want. What kind of music do you like to make?

Also, to keep this more relevant to the forum, do you currently, or have you considered making audio assets for the Asset Store? What's your experience with that?

mlamanna and elmar1028 like this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just wanted to point out that it's pretty cool looking. Have you checked out any of the new Unity5 audio features, and if so what are your thoughts so far?

Ony likes this.
  3. Ony

Ony

Thanks! :)

I haven't had a chance to play with 5 yet since I've been land-locked on this current game using 4.5. I did see something about audio mixing but not much else. I know they're focusing more on audio which is awesome and I can't wait to try it out.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

One of the things I kinda wanted was an fmod designer approach where the sound engineer would design how a track would sound over a few different 0..1 float ranges, then in Unity you'd just hook it up with say... danger variable, suspense variable etc so you've got a dynamic score. Sadly that doesn't seem supported with this so far.

5. Ony

Ony

That would be super cool. I think there might be an asset or two in the store that can do something like that(?)

6. jerotas

jerotas

I don't think so. Not a supported asset on the store anyway. Wingrove had some parameter things, but it's abandonware. Master Audio isn't going to do any real-time parameter stuff either.

7. Ony

Ony

What about something like this? - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/24788 - I haven't really looked at it much but I noticed it when it came out the other day.

8. jerotas

jerotas

Possibly! If you're not afraid of buying stuff with zero reviews it could be worth a shot. I notice it only mentions music and not SFX, but I'm sure it can do both. No reason why not.

9. jerotas

jerotas

Actually I believe our plugin Master Audio can do what Hippo wants (and we have 300+ reviews so no need to be gunshy). You can layer music with multiple Playlist Controllers (each one plays one song at a time and they have the ability to stay synchronized) and you have control over the volume and fades of each one. You can also crossfade any of them into a song variation with different instrumentation or feel.

Instead of assigning variables like "danger" etc, you would just name the Playlist Controllers "danger" etc, and adjust their volumes from code or use no code if it's when a normal Unity event happens (object despawn / trigger / collision / invisible / etc) - we have a powerful script for that, where you just pick the options in the Inspector. Would that work Hippo?

Ony likes this.
  10. Ony

Ony

Oh, I didn't even realize you made Master Audio. I was going to mention in my post above that I'd purchased it months ago and I'm just now getting around to getting it into my game. So far, so good. :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Don't forget - post pix of sexy studio set ups ;)

12. Ony

Ony

Yes, please!

13. meaningwut

meaningwut

Very cool, I'll post my setup when I get home

Ony likes this.
  14. jerotas

jerotas

Excellent, I'll be on these forums quite often now to answer any questions and also get a pulse on people's audio needs :)

Ony likes this.
  15. mlamanna

mlamanna

Hello everyone here we go :)

I do make audio assets for the store HERE :)

Ony likes this.
  16. Ony

Ony

Hell yeah. Nice! Thanks for sharing. :)

mlamanna likes this.
  17. jerotas

jerotas

Here's mine. Yes, it's guitar-centric unlike most (all?) of you :). For MIDI I usually just poke notes on the screen with my mouse. I've got a big Mackie control surface but nowhere to put it right now haha. And a bunch of guitar rack stuff behind me. While we're at it, here's my youtube page if anyone wants to see some serious (so they say) guitaring: https://www.youtube.com/user/jerotas Think Joe Satriani and that's the ball park I try to write in.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Ony and mlamanna like this.
  18. Ony

Ony

I've got my guitars (3) out in the living room. Hard to rock out in front of a computer so I keep them out there. :) Nice guitar and setup you have there, and great playing (checked out your Youtube)!

19. jerotas

jerotas

Haha right on. Guitars in the living room :) Thanks.

Ony likes this.
  20. MasterSubby

MasterSubby

Nice stuff everyone! Love the lighting @Ony

Here's what I have setup in my room. I own too much other recording equipment as well, but rarely it sees a lot of use. I choose midi for games other then live guitar and some bass. Therefore it is pretty basic right now.

IMAG0596.jpg IMAG0599.jpg

mlamanna and Ony like this.
  21. jerotas

jerotas

I like that bass guitar! What monitors are those?

22. MasterSubby

MasterSubby

Thanks! The monitors are Behringer Truth B2031A's.

23. Ony

Ony

Super cool, ThePositiveMoxie!

MasterSubby likes this.
  24. jerotas

jerotas

Ah right, they looked familiar :)

MasterSubby likes this.
  25. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

@Ony, what kind of mixer is that in the bottom left corner?

@ThePositiveMoxie, nice setup, although I do have some choice words about Behringer :p

26. jerotas

jerotas

That particular Behringer product has a lot of good reviews around the web. In general I get what you're saying though. I had a Behringer compressor / expander / gate piece of garbage that looked really cool with all the different flashing lights, but was a TERRIBLE compressor. The RNC was about 1,000 times better for just a little more money.

27. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Behringer does get some undeserved hate, yes (I actually use an 18" powered Behringer sub for daily listening and sometimes an x32 for a live event). I guess my biggest qualm would be more with the recording side than the listening side. I'm a voiceover guy (if you couldn't guess from my picture). Their mics have incredibly high self noise and are all around boomy. Their Xenyx preamps are also just severely below average. Don't get me started on build quality for any of their products.

28. Ony

Ony

It's a Korg D-888 Digital Recording Studio, which I bought years ago, didn't really use very much, and for a long time (when that pic was taken, for instance) I mainly used it to record vocals and as a general volume control for my stuff. I never did final mix-downs or anything like that with it so it ended up being overkill. Something I thought I needed and didn't really, haha. Great piece of gear for when I used it but now it's sitting in the closet collecting dust. o_O

29. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Oh, I know exactly what you mean about collecting dust. I love getting new toys (certainly more than using them :p). I've got a good amount of gear sitting around collecting dust, from various midi controllers to Theremins and synths.

Ony likes this.
  30. MasterSubby

MasterSubby

Haha I actually love them! There were a few others at the time (7 yrs ago?), but these had the best, and most reviews for the price range. I had to buy a whole slew of equipment in one go, to start out producing. These are very clean sounding, and pack a good punch. It's perfect for producing music on a budget. Of course now I could go better, but it's not something I'd need anytime soon. I work as a solo developer doing art and coding as well. Can't afford to go crazy in one direction again, as I also want to upgrade my graphics tablet, as my first order of business.

I do not record with any of their equipment though. These are the only pieces I own by them, purely as monitors. I chose Shure for my line of mics, as they have never let me down, at a lower price range.

But, now I'm feeling out of touch with this ancient technology! :eek: :D