Search Unity

Should we move to 5.6 beta?

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by Claytonious, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

Now that the 5.6 beta is up, will you be posting something here in this forum when it's time for us to switch over from the GVR preview 13 to the 5.6 beta? (I saw nothing about Daydream in the release notes over there yet).

Thanks!

2. mgear

mgear

this was in 5.6b1 notes,
    - Player: Native Daydream integration as a VR target for Unity VR applications.

3. Claytonious

Claytonious

Ah, I overlooked it. Thanks!

4. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

I would hold off on using 5.6b1 unless you really want to live on the edge. There are a number of issues in that release that will be corrected in b2 and b3 but due to timing didn't make b1. Feel free to kick the tires and what not but be aware that things are rough.

If you make use of the Google VR SDK then I would wait till b3 for sure.

tnydwrds likes this.
  5. 00christian00

00christian00

After b3( or around that version) will you stop to release specific daydream build or they will continue in parallel?

6. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

I believe we will stop releasing specific builds but I am not the person who gets to make that decision. :)

7. tnydwrds

tnydwrds

Because at that point there will be no need for GVR SDK?

So there shouldn't really be any attempt to use GVR SDK with the 5.6 betas?

8. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

There is an issue in the current beta where a Unity Build compile define is incorrect. This define causes a number of issues when trying to compile the Google Unity SDK in your project in 5.6b1. Unfortunately it was caught too late to make the b2 release so it will be in the b3 release.

The Google Unity SDK is still an important package developed by Google for the community and is not owned or maintained by Unity.

acorrow and tnydwrds like this.
  9. acorrow

acorrow

Just to be clear here on one thing: Will 5.6 still make use of the GVR SKD? Or will this be natively implemented in Unity VR? Also is there any existing documentation as to how this will be integrated?

Somewhat assuming the idea of "No Prefabs Needed" if the SDK is still there, as being that the GvrController, GvrDisplayMain, etc will just be static classes loaded if the player settings have Daydream enabled. But who knows. Any documentation would be great to get a head start on it. Thanks

tnydwrds likes this.
  10. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

I think there is a lot of confusion about what is being integrated natively and what is not. To help clarify I need to make the following statements:

1) The Google Android NDK is the native interface to the Google VR system, which includes both Cardboard and Daydream.
    2) The Google Unity SDK is a Unity package distributed by Google that provides a lot of utilities, helpers and examples (including prefabs and controller simulation/access).

What is integrated natively into Unity is #1, the Android NDK. What is NOT integrated at all is the Google SDK (#2) with all the controller and example code.

That being said, we are working on native controller integration (5.7 is the current target for that), but it will most likely not replace the need for most of the Google Unity SDK code. The native integration will be very low level and the SDK has a lot of functionality built around the controllers that would still be valid and useful.

recruit_tatsuya, tnydwrds and acorrow like this.
  11. acorrow

acorrow

This is a great clarification. Thanks!

12. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

According to the Unity blog 5.7 will never exist. Does this mean native controller integration wont come before "Unity 2017" (set to appear in April)?

13. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Yes. Sorry for the confusion about the name.

14. kexar66

kexar66

Is current 5.6.0b4 good enough to migrate?

15. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Yes. Now that the integrated Google VR NDK is 1.10 it should be OK to start migrating (caveats about general Beta quality an Issues apply).

16. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

I have to disagree though - I just got beta 4 and realized in horror that movement of fast objects is jittery (as mentioned in this thread). How did this old Gear VR problem manage to reappear?

17. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Please file a bug report as noted in the thread you are linking and report back the case if.

18. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Done, it's case number 872723