Search Unity

Should Unity become Open Source ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darksider, Jul 27, 2014.

?

Do you wish Unity to become Open Sourced ?

1. Yes

27.1%
  2. Partly open (not all code)

23.5%
  3. No

49.4%
  1. Darksider

Darksider

What do you think: should Unity become open source for Pro users ? Having the source gives the developper limitless possibilities. Even more, the community could solve bugs rapidly.
    I have a question: does Unity 4x have dependencies ? Trough dependencies, I mean third party code implemented in engine, that could not be shared.
    Unity 5 seems some sort of remake from scratch. Could we expect an open sourced version ?

2. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

I'll just only answer the last question based from what I've been reading here and there. The answer is no, very unlikely to see an open sourced version.

3. meshonline

meshonline

No, so I develop my own engine.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

What gives you this impression?

5. ippdev

ippdev

I get the impression there are alot of very young people posting here..who have no business sense at all.

Deleted User likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm getting the impression there are a lot of people who don't understand what open source actually is.

StarManta likes this.
  7. Murgilod

Murgilod

Not this shit again.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Not like the topic of the thread is that much better. We keep seeing the same boring rehashes.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, because if there's one conversation from the last three months that's been fresh, it's the definition of open source.

10. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

Not possible, imo.
    I'm getting the impression UT may go bankrupt if UT go open source.

The reason is : UT buy many 3rd party middlewares for integration to Unity. If UT go open source, any people can use these 3rd party middlewares. No one will buy these middlewares too. UT will lose money on supporting incidents because programmers can solve the problems themselves.

UE4 can provide full source because it programs the whole things!

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Exactly. One of Unity's biggest winning factors is middle-ware for a reasonable price. It is very expensive to license middle-ware such as Enlighten yourself, but Unity 5 will include it in the same $1,500 price tag.

Ostwind and Deleted User like this.
  12. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

The fact is: Unity upgrade cycle is around one and half year (1.5 year). If you believe you can make a high-sales mobile game for platform pc, mac, android and ios with Unity Pro during this period, you just buy pro for USD 4500 (Some predict that it may be even higher, maybe 6000)

After 1.5 year, If you still believe you can make a blockbuster game during another 1.5 year, you just pay half the price of USD 2250 for upgrade.

This is the current rule. Got it?

Open source.....forget it. :(

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  13. meshonline

meshonline

That's the problem we are facing, I wonder if Unity3d knows what they are doing.

Peter-Apple likes this.
  14. Lockethane

Lockethane

@Darksider: Yes Unity has a lot of dependencies such as Physx, Enlighten(5.0), Allegorithmic...., so It would be very tough to expose the whole engine. However Unity members on this forum have said that they are looking into how to open source more parts of the engine. Currently things like the Monodevelop and part of the shader system are actually opensource

@angrypenguin: I would say that there is a huge cleanup in the code base for 5. The Audio was completely rewritten, the Asset store, the Phsyx implementation. They are also rewriting the engine to be more modular underneath. So maybe not "from scratch" but a very nice clean up.

@Peter Apple: "UE4 can provide full source because it programs the whole things!", Unreal 4 uses plenty of middleware itself. I think you underestimate how much non 3rd party code Unity writes vs Epic

15. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

This is not a problem. This IS your destiny,:(

16. Ostwind

Ostwind

I have to ask, have you ever even used Unity for good or did you just use it for few weeks before joining the forums and started preaching about prices and features? If people look at the threads you have started and generally post history it looks like that you are just painting doomsday pictures in all latest threads.

17. Whippets

Whippets

No. It's a business, with a product - and I like it.

jc_lvngstn likes this.
  18. shaderop

shaderop

UT should really consider offering a complimentary copy of Game Dev Tycoon with every Unity Free download. I think that would be a better outlet for people who are only interested in playing CEO with someone else's product.

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

They could take it one step further by developing a similarly themed game and use it as a way to both showcase the engine and provide videos teaching how to take advantage of it. Granted anything would be more useful than simply throwing Angry Bots into the download.

Peter-Apple likes this.
  20. Darksider

Darksider

Agreed... for Unity, putting the whole source code at the disposal of Pro users is pretty improbable. However, they could release sources for parts that do not belong to third parties. In this way, the community could fix bugs rapidly and submit useful features. I wonder what UT could loose by open sourcing Unity parts... involving the community more in the development process...

Peter-Apple likes this.
  21. Peter-Apple

Peter-Apple

Please only focus on matter, not any person. Thanks.

22. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yes. PhysX, FMOD, Substance, Umbra, Beast (add Enlighten and Speedtree for 5.0). That said, all these are not "shipstopper issues" for source code (we could build source code with prebuilt versions of these). In fact, that's exactly what happens for our source code customers.

No.

23. Darksider

Darksider

24. Murgilod

Murgilod

Ostwind likes this.
  25. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

I like the way the planed it , with putting out open the testing tools and "soon" the new gui code.