Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Packages Folder be Synced in Perforce?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by tommywright, Feb 8, 2019.

1. tommywright

tommywright

I've searched around for this info but everything refers to older versions of Unity and now it seems there is much more stuff that goes into Packages.

So for 2018.3.3f1, should I be including the Packages folder when syncing up to the Perforce Depot?

Thanks so much!

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

3. tommywright

tommywright

Thank you so much Pascal! I thought so! I'll read over the docs again and try to see where I missed that.

So right now I'm syncing Assets, ProjectSettings and now Packages.... and nothing else. Does that sound right?

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

5. tommywright

tommywright

Oh wow... I had not read that page.. the link you sent me Pascal. SUPER helpful!!!

okcompute_unity likes this.
  6. tommywright

tommywright

Just to make sure.. I don't need that main .sln file right?

7. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

:) . It depends, if you made some customization to you solution, I think you can persist the solution. But for this one, I'm not 100% sure. I know this will be auto-generated if you don't have one.

8. tommywright

tommywright

One of my buddies (a smart Unity guy) is saying to include the sln file to Perforce. Here's what he says...

"Yeah, the solution should be in version control. The solution directs compilation from the top level; your game and in-editor code are two separate compilation targets, but they still need to be aware of each other, so the solution ties them together.
    It does a myriad of other things, too, but that's the gist."

So I'm going to start including that.

okcompute_unity likes this.
  9. MrMatthias

MrMatthias

10. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Hi @MrMatthias ,

Yes, the folder /UnityPackageManager existed only in Unity 2017.x. We changed the folder name to /Packages in 2018.1 (Maybe some day I'll write a book about this battle! :p).

The manifest is located under the /Packages for context. This is to make it clear the file relates to packages configuration. We could have decided to name the file packages_manifest.json and put it at the root. Both choices are logical. But I prefer the one we have chosen :)

Regards,

Pascal