Search Unity

Should i work in a team as a 14 year old?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Unscriptableeee, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Unscriptableeee

Unscriptableeee

In the future, I want to develop an open-world multiplayer farm game which is a pretty big project.
    Should I try to create this all on my own which is 3D modeling, composition (may not be needed though)- and others.
    But if I did work with a team what should my budget be?
    Do you pay in percentage after the game has released or pay monthly what else would be necessary, and is this even a realistic goal?
    Should I perhaps go for something easier?
    and where could I find developers interested in such a long project, what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

-sorry if this is a dumb question

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is not a dumb question, however, any project that offers you pay in percentage after release will fail and you will earn nothing.

Do keep that in mind.

Basically, if you're trying to get hired into a project, and they do not pay you, they have no business sense and no ability to plan and acquire resources, so their project will almost certainly die.

If you're thinking about hiring others, then if you aren't paying NOW, then you'll be mostly getting sub-par personnell that will waste a lot of your time.

Development time multiplied by salaries of all team memebrs + rent.

jdtec, zombiegorilla and adamgolden like this.
  3. Martin_H

Martin_H

Yes! Pick something you think you can get done in a week and work your way up slowly. A finished simple game is better than an abandoned complex one.

EternalAmbiguity and adamgolden like this.
  4. Unscriptableeee

Unscriptableeee

I was planning to make this after I have finished about 16 full games so I've got the hang of it.

Martin_H likes this.
  5. Unscriptableeee

Unscriptableeee

Yeah, I'll probably start like a Kickstarter or something to get the money needed for everything and pay monthly.

6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Focus on learning first. Become good enough at one skill so you can contribute to a team with other skilled members.

If you want to work towards making a big passion project you also have to know how to be a manager/leader. For that find yourself a mentor. As you work through various jobs you'll meet good managers and bad. Everybody has something to teach you if you're paying attention.

edit - forming a team with your friends and completing super tiny games is a great idea. Treat having fun as the highest priority, and finishing the games as second highest priority. Making a "good" game is low priority.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Is it legal in your part of the world to work on a team and make money? If you don't know the answer that's where I would start looking before worrying about how much you should charge.

Martin_H likes this.
  8. Unscriptableeee

Unscriptableeee

Yeah, I want to make sure I have everything down and then move on to making a big project. What do you mean by a mentor?

9. Unscriptableeee

Unscriptableeee

Yeah great that you mentioned that, I'll have to research a bit on that.

10. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

mentor is somebody who knows something and takes time to teach you. When you find people who are good at what they do and get results, just ask them questions.

angrypenguin likes this.
  11. neginfinity

neginfinity

As a 14 years old you may requires somebody's consent for getting employed.

For example, in my area there are certainly restrictions at employmend of 14 y/olds, though I don't recall what they were.

The restriction, if I remember correctly are greatly diminshed when people reach 16 y/o and are lifted when they are 18 y/o. In MY area. And I'm certain you do not live in my country.

Hence you should consult with your parents and figure out what's the legal status of hiring teens in your area...

Martin_H likes this.