Search Unity

Question Should I use Unity Mediation with advertiser in a new project or Unity Ads Legacy ?

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by OscarLeif, Oct 26, 2022.

1. OscarLeif

OscarLeif

Hello,

I'm curious about this, right now my other projects use Unity ads legacy. When I was working the Unity editor recommend using the new mediation library. The mobile game is still in development, but I'm not sure what library should I use in a new project, I only want to use Unity Ads network.
    Is the same result if I use mediation vs legacy ads if I only setup "unity ad source"?

TreeHacks likes this.
  2. Unity-Boon

Unity-Boon

Unity Technologies

You can still use Unity Ads legacy for your project. It will work the same if Unity Ads is the only Ad Source for mediation.

For the long term, we suggest you use Unity Mediation SDK as it will be more flexible to optimize the ads performance of your projects in the future.

3. OscarLeif

OscarLeif

If you read this. We probably should now Use "LevelPlay" I think the life time of unity mediation was short.

4. Unity-Boon

Unity-Boon

Unity Technologies

You are correct! For a new project, we are recommending you use Unity LevelPlay, although we will still support Unity Mediation SDK for a period of time.

5. metinevren

metinevren

I don't understand, isn't Unity Mediation a very new feature? Is it already being deprecated?

progCan, lmbarns and RSH1 like this.
  6. VentaGames

VentaGames

I have the same question, I'm totally lost here.
    I want to add ads to my new game and there are Unity Ads, Unity Mediations, Unity levelPlay...

I know I can use any of these, however, what is the best option for now, go with levelPlay?

progCan, enhawk and ooxcit like this.
  7. OscarLeif

OscarLeif

If you check Unity Ads, the package manager says that you should use Unity Mediation, and the Unity Mediation says that you should use Level Play.

Unity Mediation and Level play have mediation while Unity ads doesn't have this feature.
    The real issue here is to know what happen with Unity Ads. It will continue working with level play as a different network?

8. RSH1

RSH1

And do we use the 'Ad Mediation' package in Package Manager that's seemingly replaced 'Unity Ads with Mediation', the Ironsource SDK download from their website, or both? And why is Ironsource still not seamlessly integrated with Unity (have to send an email to them about your projects, set up banking information with them, use your own web server for reward callbacks, etc...)

upload_2022-12-12_15-23-33.png

upload_2022-12-12_15-24-43.png

9. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

Why are we forced to create a separate account and use another Dashboard if everything worked perfectly until now?

10. IAmJustADog

IAmJustADog

That's not even the worst part. Although I have to say that the workflow is not particularly user-friendly. You could do it all in the dashboard.. this email looks like a scam, I mean who writes bank details in an email?

But yes, even in the tutorial video here https://developers.is.com/ironsource-mobile/general/start-monetizing-app/

Unity had such a nice dashboard for ads that it's pretty much dead now? I thought when unity grabbed ironsource they will integrate everything and just swap out the ad tech in the background. Somehow this is very disappointing.

I'll probably stick with the brand-new stillborn "Advertisement with Mediation" for now.
    Simpler, more familiar, same dashboard, and same account, and just better for me right now. I hope things will change in the future.
    Or do I just have to move away from Unity for ads? ironSource doesn't look that inviting to me at the moment. But maybe that will change in the future.

Unity Ads is at the end of its life.
    Advertisement with Mediation is a kind of stillbirth.
    ironSource's LevelPlay... what will happen to it? Will it integrate with Unity? Or does it stay on its own?
    A statement from Unity, about what exactly is planned now would be great.

lmbarns, RSH1 and wagenheimer like this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Man. Who gives that kind of information with email? Why Unity forces to open a new account? I don't wanna use Unity ads anymore

RSH1 likes this.
  12. Settos

Settos

This is so frustrating. Just when I figured out "advertisement with mediation". What are the people at Unity thinking. Are they even thinking at this point. They say it's called LevelPlay, but then there is Ads mediation in the package store. There isn't any good documentation how to use it. The instructions are a mess. Now I got to the point where I installed the ironsource sdk and the Unity Ads adapter. But I'm not really sure how to use it. Their sample project is not helpful. I actually still just want to run unity ads and not really dabble with other ad networks. So what code do I run with it to only show unity ads? how do I make use of the Unity ads adapter. Or is Unity ads going to be phazed out for ironsource only.
    I would like to remove levelPlay/ironsource/Ads Mediation or whatever they call it and go back to advertisement with mediation, until they make the transition easier. But it seems after I removed the advertisement with mediation, it is no longer available in the package manager. I should probably look for another ad network.

StickMoon and RSH1 like this.
  13. Settos

Settos

Does anybody know how to use only unity ads with this levelPlay? I have set up their Sdk and the unity ads adapter. And inactivated ironsource on the ironsoure dashboard, so only unity ads should be delivered. What code do I use? On the ironsource website under mediation there are code blocks under either "Unity" or "LevelPlay". Do I have to include both codes, or can I just use the Unity codes if I only want to run unity ads?

14. Piko-Island-Studios

Piko-Island-Studios

LevelPlay is a terrible service. Trying to set it up is a mess. The documentation is horrendous and non-existent. The iron Source dashboard is a mess. I'm not even able to complete my account creation without first providing a published app-ID? How do we go about testing? I don't understand. Unity Mediation/Ads was so much simpler.

Someone at Unity made a bad business deal.

StickMoon and RSH1 like this.
  15. firesightstudios

firesightstudios

Im having major issues with this as well. My cloud builds are failing now. If unity got one thing wrong it was this.

RealAspireGames likes this.
  16. firesightstudios

firesightstudios

17. enhawk

enhawk

@Unity-Boon is there some documentation and/or an official Unity video tutorial on making the switch from Unity Mediation to LevelPlay?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  18. mrm83

mrm83

Iron Source is bad. I have account bank information issue and they won't respond to ticket.
    It has been 2 months and the account is still not fixed and no response from support.

19. aylin_unity3d

aylin_unity3d

Unity Technologies

20. enhawk

enhawk

@aylin_unity3d Thanks. So it is basically IronSource? I used to use IronSource before switching to Unityads.
    I have two questions:

1. after making the switch, how are ads reported? In the Unity Dashboard or the Ironsource Dashboard?
    2. again after making the switch, revenue is reported/paid by Unity or Ironsource?

21. arpitsrivstva

arpitsrivstva

There is "Advertisement with mediation" option in Package manager now as well. If I have clicked the option that "I will just use Unity ads in my game" from the monetization tab when I was enabling ads in my game, then will "Advertisement with mediation" in Package manager allow me to add another ad source like AdMob in my game? If not then how do i change to that unity ad mediation option?
    The "Advertisement with mediation" option in Package manager also shows error in the ad code. And I am not able to update to the latest version of Unity Ads as well:\
    Can anyone help?

22. Aduci

Aduci

Is it possible to still use Unity ads with Mediation? I can install the package from package manager, but on the dashboard, I dont have an option to use this mediation.

23. N1ghtrunner

N1ghtrunner

holy S***. After reading all of this I'm just going to try and stick to legacy Unity Ads until the IronSource integration is properly resolved. What an absolute dog show, Unity! Get your house in order!

OrinocoE and lmbarns like this.
  24. Unity-Boon

Unity-Boon

Unity Technologies

To clarify further, we are currently still in the middle of integrating the LevelPlay mediation into the Unity dashboard. It will take some time and I appreciate your patience.

In the meantime, Unity Ads SDK (Advertisement Legacy) will continue to be support for those who don't need a mediation service.

StickMoon likes this.
  25. Unity-Boon

Unity-Boon

Unity Technologies

@hawken Currently, the reports and revenue are still separated in Unity and IS dashboards. But it should migrate into a single site in the future.

26. Unity-Boon

Unity-Boon

Unity Technologies

@arpitsrivstva, If you are using Unity Ads SDK only, you should choose to install Advertisement Legacy in the package manager.

StickMoon likes this.
  27. socialtrens

socialtrens

Dear, Unity. If LevelPlay is still not FULLY ready, don't recommend it to us.

28. john79

john79

well. yesterday i had this fantastic idea to update to level play. result??? import of tons of class that i don't need it. the iron sdk. i already imported the unity mediation , why this choice to merge with iron? the merging must have be done behind the scene and behind the unity mediator. you as unity must and i'm say must think that we as user cannot keep up updating and investing money just to have the same result. because ads was before and ads will be later for the end user. i must dedicate time to implement the game code.

The choice at moment is very difficult to make: with unity ads, ads mediator, level play, ironSource, this is getting very confusing on the long run. unity mediator was a brilliant idea, using providers.. and easy to config. that's it. that's what we as developer need. the generation code, fantastic. i would have make already 1 competent that serves all the type.
    this things happen, because you keep on firing developer and the new one invent new fantastic systems? the mediator patter, should became a facade of unity services, and the changes to this framework must be very controlled.

i must say that the level play configuration interface it has been improved since the previous one, but still there is a server side that must be configured. i would avoid or keep less as possible any types of server side configuration in your architectural strategy. it is very annoying for any kind of little service have a long list of things must be done to configurate it.

level play is ok the iron collaboration could be ok, if they stay behind the unity scene. i want to reduce the amount of code in my apk, because that means in future i need to keep update and in future thing could change drastically.

at moment my app doesn't show any ads because of the update of level play. i spent almost 3 days so far on this and i don't know how long it will take to make things working again.

i rolled back to unity ads with mediator, i don't know if it is possible, because i read somewhere that if you update you can not roll back, but i don't remember what type of option was in the iron back end.

the current error is Load prefab ads is null

john79

frozenwolfstudio9 likes this.
  29. RASHED1237

RASHED1237

HELLO I DONT KNOW HOW TO USE UNITY LEVEL PLAY CAN I REMOVE THE IRON LEVEL PLAY AND JUST RETURN TO UNITY ADS ONLY? ITS VERY HARD AND HAS ALWAYS PROBLEM

30. mech_alina

mech_alina

Is Unity LevelPlay ready? What is the current best course of action. We had to remove ads from our game for months now due to a bunch of issues.

31. OscarLeif

OscarLeif

Well it was literally using Iron Source.
    Now it's called Level Play. But the addon is still called IronSource.
    Well in short yes it was ready even before, if you already use IronSource it was just using that.

Now with the Bidding for the ads we should move to Level Play, of course the Untiy Ads now works as a Bidding network...You will have to create Level play account setup you Unity Units there with Level play...I really wonder why they do that I guess is not that simple to join both networks.

32. Danny9421

Danny9421

I installed Iron source SDK from here https://github.com/ironsource-mobile/Unity-sdk , like its recommended in their guides.
    Now i have discovered there is a package called "ads mediation" (com.unity.services.levelplay) in the package manager.
    Iron Source SDK gives a lot of issues with firebase and Google Play (it took me 5 days to make them work and i need to manually delete files on each build in order to not run into build errors), i wonder if i should add the package or should have used the ads mediation package instead of the Iron Source SDK ?

Unity 2022.3 + Firebase + Google Play + Ads is a mess these days.

33. VentaGames

VentaGames

I'm still unsure where to start. Something was renamed, and something was moved.
    On the dashboard, there is Unity Ads Monetization, when i enable it, i see some guides that lead to the legacy packages. Total mess for me.

Danny9421 likes this.
  34. Settos

Settos

Unbelievable this S*** still sucks. Unity get your S*** together. The integration should be easy and not such a total mess. It`s like Unity doesn`t want people to use what they offer and instead go to the competition.

35. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

The documentation provided is not very helpful, and it's discouraging to discover that the Legacy Advertisements, while currently in use, are obsolete and won't be receiving any further updates. Navigating through Unity Mediation and Unity LevelPlay without clear instructions adds to the frustration, leaving me with limited and outdated options.

leegod likes this.
  36. leegod

leegod

It's a total mess. I recently decided to release my first Android game in almost 10 years,
    but when it comes to the advertising installation area,
    I've been completely lost for days and wasting my time.
    ironsource?
    Have you tried installing it?
    When you import the ironsource package in Unity's latest version, 23.2.5,
    some Android files are not imported until the end.
    It's the same no matter how many times you repeat it. Doesn't anyone check for errors like this?

---------------
    Job failed with exception: GooglePlayServices.JavaUtilities+ToolNotFoundException: jar not found.
    at GooglePlayServices.PlayServicesResolver.ExtractZip (System.String zipFile, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] extractFilenames, System.String outputDirectory, System.Boolean update) [0x00130] in <6107d0e161ea44f5b1a06a3cb63d4bc0>:0
    at Google.GradleWrapper.Extract (Google.Logger logger) [0x00045] in <6107d0e161ea44f5b1a06a3cb63d4bc0>:0
    at GooglePlayServices.GradleResolver.GradleResolution (System.String destinationDirectory, System.String androidSdkPath, System.Boolean logErrorOnMissingArtifacts, System.Boolean closeWindowOnCompletion, System.Action`1[T] resolutionComplete) [0x00085] in <6107d0e161ea44f5b1a06a3cb63d4bc0>:0
    at GooglePlayServices.GradleResolver.DoResolutionUnsafe (System.String destinationDirectory, System.Boolean closeWindowOnCompletion, System.Action resolutionComplete) [0x000ba] in <6107d0e161ea44f5b1a06a3cb63d4bc0>:0
    at GooglePlayServices.GradleResolver+<DoResolution>c__AnonStorey13.<>m__1D () [0x00000] in <6107d0e161ea44f5b1a06a3cb63d4bc0>:0
    at Google.RunOnMainThread.ExecuteNext () [0x0003d] in <bc484ae24804425b9f40a568d4bcd71d>:0
    0x00007ffb69c8e23d (Unity) StackWalker::ShowCallstack
    0x00007ffb69c95ad9 (Unity) GetStacktrace
    0x00007ffb6b409419 (Unity) DebugStringToFile
    0x00007ffb68de40fc (Unity) DebugLogHandler_CUSTOM_Internal_Log
    0x00000208fffdb22e (Mono JIT Code) (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_Log_Injected (UnityEngine.LogType,UnityEngine.LogOption,UnityEngine.Bindings.ManagedSpanWrapper&,intptr)
    0x00000208fffdb053 (Mono JIT Code) UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_Log (UnityEngine.LogType,UnityEngine.LogOption,string,UnityEngine.Object)
    0x00000208fffdad2b (Mono JIT Code) UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat (UnityEngine.LogType,UnityEngine.Object,string,object[])
    0x00000208fffda24e (Mono JIT Code) UnityEngine.Logger:Log (UnityEngine.LogType,object)
    0x00000208fffdc31a (Mono JIT Code) UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
    0x00000208d1f9f75b (Mono JIT Code) Google.RunOnMainThread:ExecuteNext ()
    0x00000208d1f9f1c3 (Mono JIT Code) Google.RunOnMainThread:<ExecuteAll>m__A ()
    0x00000208d1f9f00c (Mono JIT Code) Google.RunOnMainThread:RunAction (System.Action)
    0x00000208d1f9eedb (Mono JIT Code) Google.RunOnMainThread:ExecuteAll ()
    0x00000208d1f9e273 (Mono JIT Code) Google.RunOnMainThread:Run (System.Action,bool)
    0x000002092a5cc21b (Mono JIT Code) GooglePlayServices.GradleResolver:DoResolution (string,bool,System.Action)
    0x000002092a514c5b (Mono JIT Code) GooglePlayServices.PlayServicesResolver:ResolveUnsafe (System.Action`1<bool>,bool,bool,bool)
    0x000002092a513213 (Mono JIT Code) GooglePlayServices.PlayServicesResolver/<ScheduleResolve>c__AnonStorey1E:<>m__3F ()
    0x000002092a512f83 (Mono JIT Code) GooglePlayServices.PlayServicesResolver:ExecuteNextResolveJob ()
    0x000002092a5126cb (Mono JIT Code) GooglePlayServices.PlayServicesResolver:ScheduleResolve (bool,bool,System.Action`1<bool>,bool)
    0x000002092a511d53 (Mono JIT Code) GooglePlayServices.PlayServicesResolver:AutoResolve (System.Action)
    0x000002092a511aa3 (Mono JIT Code) GooglePlayServices.PlayServicesResolver:<ScheduleAutoResolve>m__47 ()
    0x00000208d1fa049b (Mono JIT Code) Google.RunOnMainThread:ExecutePollingJobs ()
    0x00000208d1f9f21b (Mono JIT Code) Google.RunOnMainThread:<ExecuteAll>m__A ()
    0x00000208d1f9f00c (Mono JIT Code) Google.RunOnMainThread:RunAction (System.Action)
    0x00000208d1f9eedb (Mono JIT Code) Google.RunOnMainThread:ExecuteAll ()
    0x000002092a207188 (Mono JIT Code) UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()
    0x0000020a1f808a85 (Mono JIT Code) (wrapper runtime-invoke) object:runtime_invoke_void (object,intptr,intptr,intptr)
    0x00007ffb77b5694e (mono-2.0-bdwgc) mono_jit_runtime_invoke (at C:/build/output/Unity-Technologies/mono/mono/mini/mini-runtime.c:3445)
    0x00007ffb77a98464 (mono-2.0-bdwgc) do_runtime_invoke (at C:/build/output/Unity-Technologies/mono/mono/metadata/object.c:3068)
    0x00007ffb77a98550 (mono-2.0-bdwgc) mono_runtime_invoke (at C:/build/output/Unity-Technologies/mono/mono/metadata/object.c:3115)
    0x00007ffb69bb7c04 (Unity) scripting_method_invoke
    0x00007ffb69b927a3 (Unity) ScriptingInvocation::Invoke
    0x00007ffb69b8da35 (Unity) ScriptingInvocation::Invoke<void>
    0x00007ffb69d1713b (Unity) Scripting::UnityEditor::EditorApplicationProxy::Internal_CallUpdateFunctions
    0x00007ffb6a77587d (Unity) SceneTracker::Update
    0x00007ffb6a88daca (Unity) Application::TickTimer
    0x00007ffb6accafba (Unity) MainMessageLoop
    0x00007ffb6acd0e8d (Unity) UnityMain
    0x00007ff7c9b72cda (Unity) __scrt_common_main_seh
    0x00007ffc790e257d (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk
    0x00007ffc79f0aa58 (ntdll) RtlUserThreadStart

37. leegod

leegod

38. leegod

leegod

now what is best solution? just delete ironsource and stick to unity legacy ads?

39. leegod

leegod

There are many problems when trying to use Unity legacy ads.
    Is there no integrated tutorial documentation page?
    The documents are all fragmented into links,
    and even if you keep clicking on related hyperlinks, related content does not appear or some links are dead.

40. leegod

leegod

unity completely raises price recently and
    now only option from small indie dev is release game on mobile and get money for compensate unity fee,
    but so for that basic tools (mobile ads solution) are not provided well?
    Isn't it a big problem?