Search Unity

Should I use legacy shaders on android to achieve good look but still maintain good performance?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by WinterboltGames, Jun 29, 2018.

?

What shaders do you prefer to use to maintain good quality and performance on android devices?

1. Standard Shaders

12.9%
  2. Legcay Shaders

27.4%
  3. Mobile Shaders

50.0%
  4. Custom Shaders

9.7%
  1. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

Hello Unity Community,

I have been working on my android game lately and found that most of the mobile shaders are very lacking in terms of customization options so, I switched to the normal Legacy shaders and found that they look better and also perform well.

So, I wanted to know if I should stick to using legacy shaders or switch back to mobile shaders.

Thanks in advance!

2. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

any help would be greatly appreciated...

3. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Mobile Shaders are designed to perform well on mobile, as a consequence most options will be limited. From personal experience if the legacy shaders perform almost just as well as the mobile shaders, then stick with them. Or If you want you can kinda do a compromise, use mobile shaders and legacy shaders on certain objects that you believe need them the most. Thats my suggestion.

WinterboltGames likes this.
  4. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

Thanks for the info, sir.

I tried using both mobile and legacy shaders but that didn't really fit together in my opinion, for instance, when I use mobile shaders, light cookies doesn't show up on objects but they do when I use legacy shaders.

and since my game will use a simple low-poly style mostly with colors only and some textures I guess I will try to write a color only mobile shader.

Also, is there are any pre-made shaders that I can download and learn from them? I never wrote a shader before but I thankfully have the skill to learn and any resource provided will help so much, thank.

5. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

You could also just write a simple pixel fragment shader, youll have alot more freedom when it comes to lighting effects.
    Check out this tutorial series, same series where I first learned shader effects -

WinterboltGames likes this.
  6. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

Thanks so much, sir for the reference to that tutorial series! this way I can learn without copying and pasting (sometimes) unoptimized pieces of shader code in my game.