Search Unity

Should i use Hybrid ECS for a production game

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Censureret, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Censureret

Censureret

I am currently creating a playable that will become a full game set to be released in 2020.

My team and I are considering shifting to Hybrid ECS. However, on the Github page, it states that it should not be used for Production.

Can any studio or developers here on the forums tell us if it is a good idea to use it or if we should keep away from it?

2. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

We use it in production

3. Censureret

Censureret

Thank you for your reply.

Would you say that it has improved your work flow and / or your game?

4. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Performance bust, huge amount of objects with veeery low cost. Code more reusable than in OOP.

Micz84, RaL, Fido789 and 2 others like this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

For hybrid ? since I don't think hybrid will give you a performance boost. Hybrid is about using ECS because you want it. You need pure for performance + burst + jobs + build.

6. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

In my case most part is pure, some things in hybryd. Also, hybryd gives you perfomance bust, not big as pure of course, if compare with legacy approach.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It would be misleading to claim hybrid gives a measurable performance boost like what the OP is asking. Hybrid will allow some optimisations but nothing like the scale suggested :)

8. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

optimisations not give performance gains based on what you say? :) I worked out both the legacy approach and the hybrid and pure, and the performance gains yield that hybrid approach that is naturally pure, the difference is only in the measurements, if the hybrid approach is small, 5-10% (on average) then with a clean approach these figures are higher order

9. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Oh my bad sry, I'm not clearly read what you say, He mean hybrid, and not pure :) Yeah busts in my first post is pure, not hybrid :)

hippocoder likes this.
  10. davenirline

davenirline

Off topic, but I gotta say you have a really good looking game!

11. Censureret

Censureret

@eizenhorn Can you elaborate on how you create AI with ECS i really cant wrap my head around it maybe its because im new to the concept

12. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

NavMesh api have small jobified API -NavMeshQuery can be called inside jobs. Watch some threads in this forum branch, some peoples shown jobified nav mesh solutions.

hippocoder likes this.
  13. Antypodish

Antypodish

Very cool effective presentation.

What I would like to second, is to use mix of Hybrid and Pure. That where gain is won. If pure ECS is not the option for any reason, Jobyfing will be way to go then.

14. Censureret

Censureret

@eizenhorn

Can you by any chance link to some articles that helped you?

15. Antypodish

Antypodish

16. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

@eizenhorn are those videos of game code completely using Unity ECS? Looks really cool. If you have the time, i think it would be super interesting for you to start a thread about your game and what your findings with ECS. Positive & negative are.

Vacummus, Roni92pl, Ryiah and 6 others like this.
  17. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Thank you for your feedback :) Yes, all the mechanics in our game have moved from the old approach, to a new, fast ECS that gives us simply unimaginable scope for development, of course there are moments that have not yet been transferred to ECS, for example the interface (to be honest, the interface while just in the prototype, now it is actively working on it). The mechanics of citizens (birth, death from starvation, leaving the city if there is not enough housing, the transition from ordinary conditions to workers, peddlers, builders, gravediggers, etc., hunger, disease) is pure ECS, the mechanics of resources, their movement, appearance , destruction, all trees and rocks on the map are also drawn and culled on pure ECS (each tree on the map is static Entity with its own set of parameters for loggers, cliffs is just dummy Entity with instance renderer). Buildings not transfered to ECS yet, because now they not combined in single optimized mesh, and from day to day artist change some elements in the search for the ideal appearance. But for parts of the system that have not yet switched to ECS, the Job System are already being actively used, for example, to generate fog of war and construction grid. Yes, in the near future, I planned to write a detailed article about our experience in switching to ECS, its use, pluses and minuses. One question, you mean a new thread on the forum or the preparation of a quality article for the blog, I apologize for clarification, just to understand clearly :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  18. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

hippocoder and Antypodish like this.
  19. Antypodish

Antypodish

20. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

That's why I attached a link to the release notes :) But to understand the basic approaches for implementing collisions, navigation is not a hindrance :) It is not necessary to run a project to understand the code :)

hippocoder likes this.
  21. Antypodish

Antypodish

True.
    However I did watch they technical video while ago, and they did explained very well, how they doing collision.
    Is very interesting approach. And proved works well with 2D movement. They have nice discussion and explanation, how they deal with minions and collisions, as remember. And some tricks on spatial mapping, or something like that, when more than one minion was in grid cell, while arrows fall, getting damage etc.

Great learning source, true.

22. Censureret

Censureret

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Please post a post in ECS forum about the technical aspect of using ECS including:
    • what it improved for you and how
    • what was difficult to achieve in ECS
    • what could be improved
    • critical or negative feedback is useful
    That's what @Joachim_Ante 's team needs to improve it, the hard things, to make it easier, to make it faster. New thread in ECS forum for it would be fantastic...

You can post as many times as you want. Real users of ECS are

eizenhorn, optimise and Antypodish like this.
  24. Antypodish

Antypodish

I feel now fake (non real user of ECS) :D

Yeah, such contribution would be fantastic to all of use.
    Finally we got second SOLID and practical Example of ECS usability.

While you are probably right, on other hand, may lead to potential confusion, since project is outdated already.
    So there is a risk for new comers, to get wrong from the start. Need add big disclaimer. Video however is very helpful.

25. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Either one would be great. But i guess a forum thread would be cool for people to ask more about your project. I am sure there will be plenty questions if you write up your experiences.

eizenhorn and optimise like this.
  26. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Yeah thx for explanation, no problem it will be done :) I think for 1-2 weeks there will be my long article :) My wife and I just leave for vacation on September 15, so I finally have a little time, from programming, constant profiling and refactoring, to calmly and deliberately tell all my personal experience, difficulties and unconditional achievements associated with the transition to ECS. On next week I'm start preparing and structuring all what I want to tell :)

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Amazing progress using ECS for production though. I don't know many people that brave :)

eizenhorn likes this.
  28. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

29. floboc

floboc

Do you plan on creating some showcase thread or anything similar for projects using the new ECS? We are also using ECS for production now and I think many others will be glad to share their work too :) ECS has been awesome so far!

30. Antypodish

Antypodish

31. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

hippocoder likes this.
  32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The home of innovation and making entire working cars out of egg cartons + cats + bits of wood.