Search Unity

Should I upgrade to URP ?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Gian1983, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Gian1983

Gian1983

Hello everybody,

I have a "regular 3D" project and I'm considering upgrading it to URP, mainly because I would like to use shader graph. I hesitate between :

- starting a new URP project from scratch and import all the game logic and then redo the graphics part (creating new materials / shaders, etc.) ;

- upgrading the current project and probably redo the graphics part as shaders upgrade won't necessary work.

The second solution is the easiest but in the long run I'm afraid I will have some issues because of a bad upgrade somewhere. What do you think is the best solution ?

Thanks !

2. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

Most clean will be first creating a new branch with git (or backup project) and try upgrading. If your shaders are not custom they will probably work when you go Edit/Render Pipeline/Upgrade Project Materials. If not you can always go route 1.

3. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

I recently went through the process and did what @MrPaparoz describes, creating a new git branch and upgrading as the docs instruct. After I had the URP package installed, all my materials were pink as they were still assigned to old, incompatible shaders, and it was a process of going throughout all the assets in the game and choosing URP-ready ones. If you're mostly using the out-of-the-box material shaders that come with Unity's Standard renderer, I shouldn't imagine this will be too much trouble for you, if you're using custom written shaders or shaders from an Asset store, there might be some rewriting to do.

Worth bearing in mind: there's still some areas of URP that aren't at the same stage as the old Standard renderer, things like real-time point lights that cast shadows are not yet available.

4. Gian1983

Gian1983

Thanks a lot for your replies ! I made the upgrade today and everything went well. And I LOVE Shader graph, so much easier...

5. JiangBaiShi

JiangBaiShi

URP is kinda hell of trash code if you want to deeply modify it, I suggest HDRP in that case;
    Also if you are an artist HDRP could be a better choice.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    weiping-toh likes this.
  6. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

HDRP the same.

7. weiping-toh

weiping-toh

I agree. Spent so much time trying to look for where those data structs are initialized, and after spending weeks on trying to optimize the rendering using custom rendering features to modify all the different control flags within the renderers(too much if-else weird logic branching on what render passes to include), I gave up and just implement my own renderers with only the passes I want.

8. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

and if you use out of the box material this might work automatically
    upload_2020-12-9_16-23-31.png
    (it's in Edit menu)