Search Unity

Should i upgrade only my gpu?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inxidious, Jul 10, 2015.

1. inxidious

inxidious

I am currently using Unity 5.1.1 and I wanted to build a fairly small 3d project (maybe similar to old counter strike 1.6)

What i'm currently experiencing is some lagging when testing unity tutorial project (SURVIVAL SHOOTER), about 5 fps. Everything runs fine in the editor, only lags when i run the game.

Here is my computer specifications (i know it's really outdated :p)
    Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 440 3.0 Ghz
    VGA: Nvidia Geforce 7025
    RAM: 4GB

I am considering to buy Geforce GTX 560, so, any thoughts guys? will it runs good? or should i upgrade whole computer? or maybe any recommendation on which computer specifications should i use? Thanks.

2. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

You dont have a lot of ram. 4GB is not a lot for a 64bit windows system, as windows itself will at least take in half of that. First of all I would look at your taskmanager while testing to see if you are running into memory problems. Sounds like a virtual paging problem to me (the OS will go ahead and use your hard disk as ram when there is not enough memory available and hard disks are terribly slow). I would recommend 8GB of ram for 64 bit at least.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Use the profiler to determine what the problem is; don't just guess.

--Eric

calmcarrots likes this.
  4. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Ram and that GPU are the real killer here, upgrade those first.

5. inxidious

inxidious

Hi. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try to add a RAM.

Hi Eric. Yeah, i completely forgot the profiler. I'm pretty new to Unity :D.

OK, Thanks man.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Personally I would be tempted to go beyond simply upgrading one or two components, but your components are still recent enough that it wouldn't be throwing your money away if choose a simple upgrade.

Your processor is on Socket AM3 which means you should be using DDR3 memory. As DDR4 is still very new and expensive we won't see DDR3 memory phased out completely for a while. This means any DDR3 memory you buy now (your board uses DDR3-1333) should still carry over to a new motherboard for at least a year or two.

Choosing whether or not you upgrade any other component is far easier to decide as the slots and sockets are pretty much unchanging for at least a few years. So any graphics cards, storage drives, etc are perfectly fine upgrades and will carry over to future systems.

I don't know your budget or which country you are in, but the GTX 560 is a poor choice in the US.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt5030610m (Zotac GTX 560 - $210 on Amazon US)
    https://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt7040110p (Zotac GTX 760 - $150 on NewEgg)
    https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx9602gd5toc (MSI GTX 960 2GB - $205 on NewEgg)
    https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp43962kr (EVGA GTX 960 4GB - $220 on NewEgg)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  7. inxidious

inxidious

Hi Ryiah, Thanks for your suggestions, btw I'm in Indonesia and after lots of searches i found GTX 560 is really cheap :)

The GTX 960 2GB is about $300 here if converted to USD.
    GTX 760 is about $240 and GTX 560 about $80.
    I don't know why the price is so different.. lol..

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

I've checked with NVIDIA and they still provide drivers for the 560, so it isn't a matter of the card being unsupported. Most likely they are stuck with a few cards in storage and are trying to get rid of them.