Search Unity

Should I try to learn C# Before trying Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sumusiko, Feb 19, 2014.

1. sumusiko

sumusiko

I have been trying to learn C# but without having someone to personally teach me its a bit hard because theres loads of stuff I just can't understand ... So I wonder if it would be better to learn C# from watching tutorials on how to make games with unity using C# since I know some explain what each thing does and such but still I wonder how effective that would be when it comes to the time when I am the one and only doing the games with no help..

suki_dess likes this.
  2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

What materials are you using to try to learn C#?

Unfortunately if you're just learning from the 'net it can be hard to know good tutes from bad if you're just starting out. I'd strongly suggest going for a book instead, as then there's typically at least some form of quality control.

As for jumping into Unity, it certainly can't hurt. I still strongly recommend doing both in their own right, but there's no reason to avoid playing with the engine and other tools just because you haven't "learned to code" yet (which is something that you never "finish" anyway).

oopserv316 likes this.
  3. Jzmallz

Jzmallz

Honestly if you have a strong base in other languages i don't think you really need to try to learn C# to work with Unity because most of the C# you use with unity is Unity modified C# so I would definitely goto the learn section and look at some of the videos they have on scripting but i don't think you are going to need to learn more than that. I learned C#, 1. Because it is very similar to Java and I have a strong base in java, 2. I watched all of the beginner videos, but what I think worked the most for me and helped me learn the most, was watching some Unity tutorials videos on Youtube. You may be different I learn by doing and no way else, but just find out what works for you.

4. Adeno

Adeno

I believe that each person has a different way of learning. Some learn better in a classroom with an actual teacher, others can learn well on their own by just reading books, while others prefer to learn visually by watching things get done on videos.

Personally though, I think that in order to create something complicated in any job (like making a game), you need to really understand the basics first. Basics are the foundation by which bigger ideas can be built upon. Great products are results of combinations of little things done right. In my own experience of learning stuff on my own, I found that it's best to always work along what is being taught in the video or books and then experiment with what I've learned. For me, just watching and reading aren't enough. There's a difference between being just an observer and being the person who's actually doing the work.

Fortunately, if you're trying to make games as a personal hobby or as a way to make money, you can always have "cheat sheets" near you, unlike if you're at school where having access to notes or books during exam time is forbidden. There's no shame in not being able to memorize the syntax or certain formulas right away. We're only human and there's so much stuff that we need to think about.

I think that what's most important is understanding the idea behind how games work instead of just memorizing stuff that you see in those video tutorials or books. For example, in a typical 3D platformer game, a person might think that the main character needs to be able to jump, so this person writes some code that allows the character to jump off the ground. After testing the jump ability of the character, the person realizes that the main character can still jump while in the air! Why is this so? It's because the person did not consider at which state his character should only be able to jump. The person then writes up code that specifically tells the game that the main character can only jump if only it's on the ground and not in the air. The problem is then solved. Not a lot of books will tell you that you need to limit the states that a character can only jump with, unless it's specifically a book about making 3D platformer games. In other words, most of the time, you'll have to solve your own problems or ask someone else who might have solved a similar problem that you just encountered.

From experience, I say that in order to learn something, whether it's game programming, visual effects creation, or whatever else, you need to be open to a few things:

1. Experimentation - it's not enough to just copy whatever the tutorial shows you step by step. You need to fool around with it and see what you can do with it. If a tutorial shows you how to rotate an object horizontally, then try to rotate the object in other directions as well on your own. If a tutorial shows you how to spawn an enemy every few seconds, then try to make enemies spawn whenever you touch a trigger or whatever condition you want.

2. Problem Solving - it's near impossible to create a perfectly working functional game in just one go, even if it's just the title screen you're working on. Having problems pop up for almost every new code you write is to be expected. This is where your experience experimenting with what you've learned comes in handy. If you experimented with code a lot, you'll have a better idea at what's causing the problems and you'll have a better chance of solving them.

3. Expose Yourself to More Ideas - just like in other professions, learning is a continuous process. This is definitely very obvious in the world of video games. Different game developers have different ways of making things work in a game. For example, in the Batman Arkham series, counterattacks are done by right clicking the moment an enemy tries to attack. In Metal Gear Rising, counterattacks are done by pressing towards the direction an attack is coming from while also pressing the attack key. Same idea, different execution. No single book or video can cover every gameplay style that exists or will exist in the future. You'll have to play them on your own to experience the differences or at least watch lots of gameplay videos. The more ideas you have on how to implement certain things, the more things you can experiment with, which increases your problem solving and game design experience.

Good luck and have fun. :)

5. Meltdown

Meltdown

You don't need to learn C# to use Unity, but if you want to become a better Unity developer, having a solid understanding of C# will be a huge bonus and increase your market value and confidence with the software. I'd suggest checking out the C# from scratch video tutorials on www.pluralsight.com. Once you've completed these beginner tutorials you'll be well on your way to becoming a decent Unity scripter, as you get more familiar with the Unity API.

Not sure what you mean by 'modified' C#. The C# used in Unity has all the same language features for C# up to .NET 3.5.

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yep, including almost all of the standard library.

7. BeginnerGuy

BeginnerGuy

8. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

9. Grimwolf

Grimwolf

Using a visual scripting asset like Playmaker should go a long way in reducing just how much programming you need to know to make games in Unity.
    When actually learning programming, the best method I've found personally is to first study up on the basics so you know how to actually do it, and so you have a solid grasp of at least most of what is possible with it (knowing, for example, what things like Loops and Arrays are, how you use them in that particular language, and what they're primarily used for). From there you learn by doing, occasionally looking up answers to any questions you have as they arise. If you're just starting out you'll want to start with small projects and slowly work your way up to more complex things anyway, and that's perfect for learning programming.

10. sumusiko

sumusiko

Well I'm learning pascal atm just for the basics will move to java really soon however I wanna learn C# for unity3d too because C# is from what I've heard its one of the most versatile languages for everything.

I also know the basics of C# since I've already been studying it for a few days, I know arrays, functions , classes (although poorly) and such thats why I didn't know if I should move to unity since I know unity isn't 100% like C#.

@Adeno ty man that actually helped a lot!

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

One question, why are you learning a dead language? I haven't used Pascal since the early 90's Bordland Delphi stuff.

If you want to make games, at least learn the likes of C and C++. Shaders generally are written in C and C++ is the core backbone of most commercial game engines, Unity's scripting is an exception to the rule unless third parties have bolted mono on top.

You are much better off getting familiar with an API and learn the shear basics, Unity provides you with all the basics anyway.

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/scripting

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  12. darkhog

darkhog

I don't think you need to learn C# before trying Unity. I am learning C# while using it and when I don't know something, google is my friend. In game land, unless you plan on supporting your game for the long time, only three things matters: that game runs fast enough, is bug free and is fun to play. Quality of your code doesn't mean too much, unless as I said you plan on long-term support for your game or unless it hinders game's performance.

13. sumusiko

sumusiko

I'm learning just the basics of Pascal so I know what each thing does , what they for , etc.. I started learning pascal as a way of being able to get into other languages easier since I already know the basics of programming

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

There is no real benefit to doing so, learn the basics of C and C++ which will go a long way.

15. sumusiko

sumusiko

well I wanna be able to make an MMO in the future and I believe the quality of the code really does matter in those since I'm guessing I'm gonna need to code a lot more stuff than just the regular 2d/3d singleplayer games. I wanna make sure everything runs perfectly with no fps issues

16. darkhog

darkhog

As I said, my advice doesn't apply if you plan on long-term support of your game as it is case with MMO. But for regular, one-shot projects it is more than enough.

17. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

just goto www.unitypro.co.uk and follow some video tutorials at the same time making a game, it's more fun that way and you get to see C# working with Unity's Api

18. RussianGravy

RussianGravy

Are there any books you'd suggest I read?

19. RussianGravy

RussianGravy

I'm also interested in learning to program with C#

20. Amon

Amon

@RussianGravy The first book I would suggest is how not to necropost.

cpennington, schmosef and DaDonik like this.
  21. Antypodish

Antypodish

As some already mentioned, learn C# along with practicing in Unity.
    This is how I learned it.
    Replicate online tutorials andLearn section, as you go through.

vakabaka likes this.
  22. xjjon

xjjon

23. Ryiah

Ryiah

Amon, angrypenguin and Kiwasi like this.
  24. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

25. andyz

andyz

26. Antypodish

Antypodish

Unity JS with 2018.3 become obsolete. So no point.
    Why you even look there?

Ryiah likes this.
  27. orb

orb

They'd update them by removing every reference to UnityScript. This will hopefully happen someday, and we can all get chemical lobotomies to forget it ever existed.

Amon, Ryiah, Kiwasi and 2 others like this.
  28. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Ryiah likes this.
  29. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

C# 4 or .NET 4? In any case alot has changed.

30. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Unity 4.0.

31. orb

orb

Are you talking about the language itself, or the actual code used to access things? ;)

The language has new additions, but I don't think it's relevant in this context. C# hasn't changed enough that the raw code is no longer valid C# as such. But we definitely need to upgrade code only a few years old because of how they changed how the Unity API changed. And in some cases perhaps the C# API also changed. I'm pretty sure there were some breaking changes in how some classes worked between 2.x to 4.x (at the very least you should stop relying on old bug workarounds).

32. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Ah, true. But in 2018 you can use .NET 4.5 features (both runtime and C#) ;)

edit: haha, checked the level of that video clip.. ok.. but they should have used var instead of int though. or just returned the value without storing it in a variable first.

33. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Or use expression bodied methods

Code (CSharp):
    1. public int MyFunction(int number) => myInt * number;

34. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

No

Definitely no.

These are tutorials aimed at beginners writing their first script. They should use the most basic form of syntax possible.

35. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Less code, less to learn

36. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

More abstraction, more to learn, split over more layers.

Properly understanding "var" requires someone to first properly understand data types in general.

Amon, Antypodish, vakabaka and 2 others like this.
  37. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

No. You haven't provided them less to learn. You've actually provided them with additional things to learn.

You've added in additional code syntax with Lambda expressions. Lambda expression is confusing as hell to a beginner programmer. They are going to need to declare methods in the traditional way. Which means you are now asking them to learn two different syntaxes to declare methods.

var is the same thing. You need to learn explicit variable declarations in order to operate at the class scope. So var is an additional thing that must be learned on top. Again, its two different syntaxes to do one task.

Amon, Antypodish, ikazrima and 2 others like this.
  38. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yeah, many here even think var magically turns c# into a dynamic typed language :)

39. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

That's not a lambda it's an expression bodied member. A lambda is a anonymous method.

40. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The fact that you're correcting people on these things only highlights the additional complexities they bring. ;)

Teaching isn't about demonstrating how smart the teacher is, or showing off fancy code tricks. It's about building knowledge in the learner from the foundations up. Start with the simple stuff and move on once they're confident with it.

Antypodish, vakabaka, orb and 2 others like this.
  41. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I rest my case.

42. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You guys are missing the point, someone stated that nothing have changed since Unity 4 and it has. We have 4.5 support since 2018. And that directly effects said example above.

Should they update the tutorial to expression bodied methods? Thats another discussion. I just dont like it when people write false info

43. Murgilod

Murgilod

Wait is this another thread that's nothing but anders telling everyone to use var? How many of these do we really need?

Amon, Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  44. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Have you started using them yet? If the answer is no, then they are not enough

45. Antypodish

Antypodish

Offtopic ;)
    mr
    (-on)

46. ds3427756

ds3427756

hello,
    according to me. without any course to learn c# is very difficult means you can learn it easily but some concepts are very difficult to learn. if you clear with some basics of c, c++, or java or if you love coding languages then its easy for you to learn c# language i would like to suggest you, please refer some online videos and tutorials or w3school site that helps you better to learn programming language.
    ALL THE BEST!!

Antypodish likes this.
  47. Antypodish

Antypodish

I used that in very past quite a bit. I think is good suggestion.

48. one_one

one_one

Expression bodied members use syntax established through lambda calculus. It's therefore perfectly reasonable to call it a lambda expression.

Sorry for keeping on necroing and the mostly useless smartassery but it was too hard to resist..

49. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Here is a lambda using a epxression bodied property

Code (CSharp):
    1. public Func<int, int> MyLambda => number => myInt * number;
    edit: Dont do this btw, it genererates garbage, both becasue anonymous methods that access members are scoped and we create a new anonymous method each time the property is accessed

50. one_one

one_one

Does that compile in an empty class on your end?